Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

New M.2 Drives

Browsing through the SSDs to get for the new build, I'm seeing there are these M.2 drives- and consequently the ASRock x99 Extreme6 has an M.2 slot. 

My question concerns my research:

Popping this Samsung 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03H16430

Into the ASrock... is it possible? I was told to look for the size (2280 etc), as well as the type of connector- but I have yet to find info for either to make sure they are compatible. I intend to use it as an OS/FSX drive, with a separate SSD for storage. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Got a Samsung 500 Mb M.2 on my laptop and it works great.

As for the connector types look here or here. The Samsung SATA I have has both types B & M.

Note: there are also 2 interface types: PCIe & SATA. (PCIe is much faster)

Check your motherboard specs for Type, Length & Connector Type.

Post Edit:

Your MB  M.2 seems to support PCIe Gen3 x 4.

See this page ASRock X99 Extreme6.. it shows a speed test using the Samsung XP941.

Cheers.

Last winter I bought a MSI GT72 laptop with a 6820 cpu and a 4 gig 980. The o/s was on a 120 gig m.2 with a 2nd m.2 slot available so I put a 500 gig there for p3d. P3V3.3 boot up time is fast. A bonus is allegedly less heat and less power draw plus the fact the drive is faster than a traditional ssd.

Based on 6 months experience if you can fit it in the budget I'd recommend an m.2. The prices for them have really come down since I got mine.