Sign in to follow this  
sab12

Do I Need Version 3 Of DX10 Scenery Fixer?

Hi Steve,

Back when I moved to FSX:SE only I followed the tweaking instructions provided by  Shuttle099  which included using DX10 Preview. The use of your 3.2.3 version shaders (freeware) was recommended and I got them from AVSIM and installed per instructions including removing the original ones.

I have updated to Windows 10 via upgrade rather than clean install and things look wonderful and are running with no sign of stuttering.

I was recently looking for a fix to a problem with display of an A2A C172 tail beacon light and one of their forum posts said that using your DX10 Scenery Fixer after installation of the C172 would solve the problem. However, this post was several years old and I also found references to fixing ORBX lighting problems which I don't believe that I ever had since I have only started using their scenery relatively recently.

Your discussion of the prerequisites for software mentions FSX:SE as per Gold edition which I am assuming includes the original shaders.

My questions are:

(1) Will I benefit from version 3 (e.g. the A2A C172 beacon problem)

(2) Do you know if this might mess up my ORBX sceneries and what I should avoid doing if I get Scenery Fixer?

Thanks,

Steve

The fixer includes all the free fixes so nothing should stop working.

Except it needs the original shaders, the free patches installer created copies which the fixer installer will recover from but I think you may have deleted them????

If so you need to install fsx se onto anther computer if you have one and copy the original shaders sources back to your system.

It improves VC shadows (a lot)

It supports legacy scenery and airports that don't otherwise work but I would infer that you have none of these.

It improves the look of water

It contains logic to convert effects, lightfield and replacement nav lights, which should improve lights over the free patches.

loading up the a2a c172 the tail beach looks fine with it to me.

It improves bloom handling, cloud performance, sunsets, fog (a lot)

So it's a big improvement. But I cannot tell you whether it is worth it for you!!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply.

How did the free patches installer mark the copies it created? My ShadersHLSL\General folder has a file General10.fx.orig in it but there are no other files in ShadersHLSL that I can identify as backup copies. I didn't do any deletions other than whatever your free patch installer did when I responded to its question about deleting with yes

I also installed Steam Edition on my laptop just to see how it ran so I can also just delete the whole ShadersHLSL folder from my desktop and copy the whole Shaders folder from the laptop in. Are all the original shaders sources in that one folder?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes the orig file Is the backup, the fixer will find that and restore it.

Copying that directory from your laptop would work as well and is what I was suggesting but it looks like you don't need to do so.

Hi Steve,

You have posted that DX10 Scenery Fixer version 3 is now available at The Flight Sim Store.

In a thread you have closed, several folks have reported that it is and downloaded it.

However, when I go the The Flight Sim Store, I cannot find it. For example, a search for DX10 Scenery Fixer doesn't find it. Nor does DX10SceneryFixer.

I can't find anything resembling Steve'sFX in the list of publishers/developers.

What search terms/path get me to your product?

Am I in the right store?

Very frustrating!

Can you help please me find your product

Thx

Steve

The Fixer is no longer sold by the FlightSim Store.  But they do have updates for folks who have in the past bought the Fixer from them.  You need to log into your account and then check for the Fixer in your past purchases... then download from there.  Worked fine for me a couple days ago.

HTH

Greg

@sab if you want to buy it then go to the purchase page on my blog, (link in my signature) which will take you to fastspring who are the eCommerce company that I now use. As Greg has explained above I used to use the flight sim store but no longer do for new sales - but they still pass on updates to existing customers.

Hi Steve,

Got it.

I'm posting one installation question that might be of general interest.

Thanks,

Steve