Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Prepar3D folder found...do I need this one?

Just noticed I have a folder called Prepar3D under C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin and in the same location I also have a folder called Prepar3D v3.

Having the Prepar3D v3 folder makes sense since that is the only version of P3D I ever had installed on my system since I last wiped my PC. As for the other folder I'm not sure. As seen in the screenshot below it only contains 2 files where the content of the Prepar3D.cfg file is 2 lines also seen in the screenshot below.

Looking at the creation date of the folder it appears to have been created as part of installing GSX so I just wanted to ask anyone else with GSX installed in P3Dv2 or 3 if you also have this folder with the same content?

I'll ask about this over at FSDT as well and maybe Umberto can shed some light on the meaning of this folder and why you end up with a folder called Prepar3D when the only version of P3D installed is P3Dv3.

This is what it looks like

Prepar3D%20folder%20under%20AppData.JPG

Richard Åsberg

Not if you have v3 installed. I have GSX so I would go ahead and delete that folder.

Mario Di Lauro

I too noticed this folder after a reinstall yesterday.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot_zps560238d1.jpg

Not if you have v3 installed. I have GSX so I would go ahead and delete that folder.

Well, as mentioned in my first post P3Dv3 is the only version of P3D that was ever installed on my system since I last wiped it including both Windows 10 and P3D so I certainly don't need that Prepar3D folder for that reason.

What I wasn't sure of was if maybe the add-on responsible for creating this folder (which seems to be GSX) needs it and has some references to it. Doesn't really do any harm having this folder of course but would still be nice to know how and why it ended up there since I do like to keep my system as clean as possible.

Guess I can try to simply move it away and if everything seems to be working fine including GSX I can delete it. I've now asked about this over in FSDT's GSX forum as well.

Richard Åsberg

I have the same folder, and nothing I see is broken, so I am not going to fix it.  :wink:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have the same folder, and nothing I see is broken, so I am not going to fix it.  :wink:

That is often the very best way forward Bob :smile:

Richard Åsberg

You just could try to rename it like Prepar3D_ or move it. See what happens. If it brokes anything, you have a backup!

Cheers :)

N.-

You just could try to rename it like Prepar3D_ or move it. See what happens. If it brokes anything, you have a backup!

See the last 2 lines in post #4 :wink:

I actually already tried moving the folder after verifying the same setting already exists in the Prepar3D.cfg file in the Prepar3D v3 folder as well as the tidy.exe file and so far no issues with GSX as far as I can tell but will give it some more time just to make sure all is good before I delete the folder.

Richard Åsberg