Sign in to follow this  
urgeflaske

Installing Night Environment to P3D

Tried to ask over at the NE forum, but cant seem to get a proper answer.

Im running the latest version of P3D. I purchased NE Sweden but it turns out it only has a installer for P3D V2 and FSX.

When i run the installer and choose V2 and then point the folder to my root P3D folder, this comes up:

Lockheed Martin PREPAR3D V2.x
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

Night Environment - Sweden
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\aerosoft\Night Environment - Sweden

ApplicationData User (FSX.cfg/dll.xml):
    C:\Users\Min\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\PREPAR3D v2
ApplicationData All Users (Scenery.cfg):
    C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\PREPAR3D v2

Problem is that i dont have the folders (i only have the V3 folders):

Roaming\Lockheed Martin\PREPAR3D v2

or

ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\PREPAR3D v2

What would be the correct steps to get a successful install into my P3D?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Chris, I can't install Greece and Israel into P3D v3.

Is there a way to make them compatible with NightEnvironmentX_Manager?

Thanks!

Can't you just make a symlink between the v2 and v3 folders?

For instance:

Link for Prepar3D settings folder
mklink /d "%appdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" "%appdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

Link for AppData settings folder
mklink /d "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

Note:

This will create issues, if you have both Prepar3D V2 and Prepar3D V3 installed simultaneously. 

Hi Chris, I can't install Greece and Israel into P3D v3.

Is there a way to make them compatible with NightEnvironmentX_Manager?

Thanks!

Hi David,

follow the link above or in my signature to our forums,

you will find the answer how to setup any NE installer that doesn't support P3D natively,

also note the titles above were not yet converted to our v1.7 and up which support our new NE X Manager,

Can't you just make a symlink between the v2 and v3 folders?

Hi Andres,

the issue here lies within the installer itself,

it was created before P3D v3; and was not updated since by Aerosoft our publisher,

(note that we have made all our updated titles available to Aerosoft long ago),

since we do not crate these installers; we don't have any control over updating them atm,

this will change in the very near future; we are working on our own branding, storefront, tech support, and direct file distribution,

technically speaking it is a very simple issue,

the installer goes to P3D v2 registry entry to find Sim path; than installs into it,

if you had P3D v2 and updated to v3... v2 path may still exist in the registry,

this will send files to the wrong directory and miss finding scenery.cfg to add the new folders entries into,

Hi David,

follow the link above or in my signature to our forums,

you will find the answer how to setup any NE installer that doesn't support P3D natively,

also note the titles above were not yet converted to our v1.7 and up which support our new NE X Manager,

Hi Andres,

the issue here lies within the installer itself,

it was created before P3D v3; and was not updated since by Aerosoft our publisher,

(note that we have made all our updated titles available to Aerosoft long ago),

since we do not crate these installers; we don't have any control over updating them atm,

this will change in the very near future; we are working on our own branding, storefront, tech support, and direct file distribution,

technically speaking it is a very simple issue,

the installer goes to P3D v2 registry entry to find Sim path; than installs into it,

if you had P3D v2 and updated to v3... v2 path may still exist in the registry,

this will send files to the wrong directory and miss finding scenery.cfg to add the new folders entries into,

You would overcome this by creating symlinks... it's just a directory which references to the new directory. It's similar to a shortcut but it's a directory in Windows which contains the same files as the directory referenced... 

For instance: Creating a symlink between Prepar3D V2 and Prepar3D V3 the Prepar3D V2 would mirror the contains of the Prepar3D V3 ... I've used this many times in Prepar3D/FSX with no issues (for example installing Ultimate Traffic into Prepar3D)...

The genius is, that Windows thinks it's a relevant path but the folder contains a mirror of the referencing directory... Of, course if you have a dual installation of both Prepar3D V2 and V3 this would not work.

I actually assume you already know this, but I've tried to explain it, anyway... 

i made an article a long time ago about symbolic links,

again we do not have control over updating installers;

this is a more advance approach that we do not advise or will use,

this is not the solution to this issue; it's a bandied that requires a more advance hands on to accomplish,

hence it is not a viable global solution; anyone who's technical enough to use simlinks; will resolve this without ever contacting us!

Fair enough... I understand this from a support perspective... 
I know, it's not a solution - but it can function as a work-around - allthough a bit techical to setup.