Sign in to follow this  
dmwalker

New Z97 Motherboard not recognising Drives

I have just upgraded my PC from Core2 Duo to i7-4790K on an MSI Z97 PC Mate. I have one Samsung SSD with Windows 10, one Intel SSD with Windows 7, one WD 5000 with the Windows 7 backup copy and one WD 360 Raptor with Windows XP. With my old system, I had them all connected and recognised in the BIOS and I could boot any one.

Now, with the new system, only the Samsung SSD is recognized. If I connect only the Intel SSD with all others disconnected, it is recognised but, when I boot it, the Windows 7 starts but I immediately get a BSOD. Same thing with the WD 5000 and the WD 360. When I connect the Intel SSD to the Samsung SSD SATA cable, I still get the BSOD. When I clone the Windows 10 from the Samsung SSD to the WD 5000, the clone gets the BSOD.

All of the drives are seen by Windows and are accessible.

Are there any suggestions?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1. knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/168595en   Cached
    Tips and tricks for troubleshooting a Serial ATA or ATA/IDE internal drive that is notdetected in the BIOS.
  2. answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7...   Cached
    I have a Buffalo Tera NAS device that Windows 7 Professional does not see in Networkdevices. I have 2other PC's running Windows XP and they see it on my ...
  3. www.tomshardware.com  › Forum  › Storage
    Windows not recognising Seagate NAS Drive . Tags: Windows. NAS / RAID; ... Solved Seagate portable hard drive not being recognised and making beeping sound;

Yes, I'm still getting used to the new BIOS but I found I hadn't enabled the drives properly so that part is OK now. I still don't know why I was getting BSODs but I am re-installing my Win7 and no longer getting them, plus I'm simplifying everything by getting rid of WinXP, which I don't really need any more, and Win10, which I still don't like. Thanks for your help.

and Win10, which I still don't like.

Why don't you like W10? Just curious.

I really like it, no issues at all. Not much different to W7 really once you get used to it.

I don't sim much now though, so not sure if it's issues with the sim you are having.

It's probably just me getting old and set in my ways. I'm still adjusting to the switch from WinXP to Win7 so maybe Win10 is a step too far for me just now. Mostly it's a lot of little things which could be fixed but I'd rather stay with Win7 where nothing needs to be fixed.

For example, with Win10 my FSX would occasionally shut down for no reason. That never happened with Win7. Then, when I upgraded my PC, Process Explorer started showing svchost.exe virtual size in terabytes. Now that I'm back with Win7, that doesn't happen.

with Win10 my FSX would occasionally shut down for no reason.

Fair enough,  :smile: