Sign in to follow this  
Flight simmer

Crazy Descent Rate

Was browsing FR24 the other day and came across this: 

decent2_zpsanwuaajq.jpg

Evidently backed on on another flight tracker app. 

decent1_zpsjgda3ih5.jpg

Not so strange, If you are very high (maybe a big shortcut) you can make an open descend with speedbrakes and m.80/340 kts and you will get more than 6000 ft/min. Is not confortable for passengers but when necesary you can do it.

That was the standard descent rate for Concorde. It started off quite shallow (1800fpm) shortly after starting down. Once below Mach 1.5 thrust was further reduced resulting in the descent increasing to around 4000fpm. Once sub-sonic thrust was reduced to idle and to maintain 350kts IAS it pitched down even more to 5000-6000fpm. The pressurisation was so good passengers never noticed a thing.

Occasionally ATC would want them down even quicker and the crew would engage idle reverse on the two inboard engines. That could produce descent rates of 8000fpm or more. :Big Grin:

All in all a very special aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Interesting stuff! The Concorde sounds like it was quite a ride, it's a tragedy this legend of aviation is no longer with us. 

I don't get why a regular airliner would have to descend at such a steep rate, there was no traffic or any other extenuating circumstances, well on FR24 anyway. It was also still a long way from its destination (300km+) where even flights at FL430 don't typically start descending, quite late in the evening when traffic is relatively light. This particular flight clearly went from FL340 to FL250 in a major hurry. There was a jetstream present (as you can tell by the speed), but still that is generally not a reason to go into such a steep descent. Just seems so random. Maybe they  encountered heavy turbulence? Wish I was a pax on that flight though   :BigGrin:

Yes, aviation took a huge step backwards on 24 October 2003. :sad:  Mach 2 to Mach 0.86 in 24 hours. But it lives on in FSX! :Applause:

All I can think about that flight was there was kind of on-board emergency that required the aircraft to get down quickly. But that emergency could have then been resolved thereby negating the aircraft to continue the descent. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes, aviation took a huge step backwards on 24 October 2003. :sad:  Mach 2 to Mach 0.86 in 24 hours. ....

I hear that, Ray! Indeed the world is slowing down...

But I digress

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)