Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Overclocking i7 2600k

Hello everyone.

My first post on this this particular forum so please be kind.

As you can see, I am not new to AVsim nor to flightsim although I am only using FS2004.

I am using 6 monitors at the moment and this has severely restricted any activities in FSX, FSX-SE and P3D although I do have all of them.  But, I do want to upgrade to any or all of them, including the new DTG and XPlane 11.

As an aged pensioner, I do have limited funds for hardware upgrade and I do want to do this gradually.  The plan is to start with an overclocking as per the topic title, then to get a pair of GTX1070 or 1080 GPUs. From there it will be the full monty with, (then current) new Motherboard/CPU/RAM etc. (it they are still in use when I can afford them LOL)  as the final step.

I really want some advice here, on whether this is actually the best and most economical way to proceed and if not, what advice can anyone give me. Also tied up with this is the fact that, here in Indonesia (particularly in my village) there is very little to no expertise in the computer field. As a result, I am going to need a step by step guide on how to overclock this beast.  Upgrading the hardware should not really present any problems other than the financial kind.

So,  firstly, am I on the right track and secondly, can someone point me to a NOOBs guide to safely overclocking the i7 2600k. 

Looking forward to all reponses and regards to all 

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

A good place to start is overclock.net. Find the sub-forum for your motherboard, then read a lot, try some things, ask questions. I found the community there welcoming and generous in helping newbies get rolling with overclocking. Took me a only a week or so to get an i7-2600K completely stable at 4.7 on my very first OC. I wouldn't have been successful without their help.

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Hi guys,

Many apologies for the lack of response to this one.  I have had to go to Surabaya for the week and have just got back.

Westman.   I checked that site out and it is apparently geared up mainly for sales and I found it difficult to navigate.

Coa1117.  I have had a bo peep at Overclockers and it seems to have the greatest amount of helpful information and I am currently chatting to a couple of people there.  Great potential.

Once I have tried it out I will let you all know how I got on.

Thanks again for all

Regards

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.