Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

HTC Vive owners question

Hi

Looking for info from any Vive owners.

I 'm looking for info regarding the 2 sensors that come with the Vive.Are they a must to be setup if you plan only using the headset for simming ,and have no plans for prancing around a room.

I would prefer the Vive but if these sensors must be setup then I will have to get a Rift as I have not got the space to set up these sensors properly

Thanks for any info

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, I do know that prancing is not required.

Not sure if the sensors are required to make the unit operable.

I think it would be fun to walk around the aircraft. There are ways to extend the standard 13'x13' useable area to more than 20'x20', if you've got the space.

The sensors are required regardless of you just sitting or running around in your room.

They are emmiting an infrared field that the software needs to locate your position relative to them.

Thanks guys

Looks like it will be a Rift then

If I were you I'd do some more research before making a final decision. The great advantage of the Vive is that you basically can't move out of the infrared field because it fills the entire room. 

This way you can do a complete 360° movement without ever losing tracking.

Thanks for the info Farlis

I will be doing more before i pull the trigger.I found some info that shows you can get away with using just the single lighthouse unit.

I also found info on issues with the hive headset and the cable causing problems,and dealing with the htc customer service is shocking.

I'm sure the rift has problems also,hence more work to be done first.

I'm not going to favour one over the other,so i'll try and base it on what feels the best for me.