Sign in to follow this  

Any ready to use Ortho4XP scenery with autogen out there?

With the new release of XP11 (even though it is beta) I am afraid :wink: a lot of newbie questions will be asked in this forum. Here is my first. :hi:Before I ask it though: would it be an idea to start a newbie topic...? Or is it better to start a new topic for every newbie question?

Anyway, what I wanted to ask: I'd like to give Ortho4XP a try but with autogen etc, like in the pictures someone posted somewhere of Norway (Norway Pro). But it seems rather complicated and so I was wondering if there is any Ortho4XP scenery with autogen out there which I can simply download and install with a single click? So I can see what it is before I spend hours on getting into it?

With the new release of XP11 (even though it is beta) I am afraid :wink: a lot of newbie questions will be asked in this forum. Here is my first. :hi:Before I ask it though: would it be an idea to start a newbie topic...? Or is it better to start a new topic for every newbie question?

Anyway, what I wanted to ask: I'd like to give Ortho4XP a try but with autogen etc, like in the pictures someone posted somewhere of Norway (Norway Pro). But it seems rather complicated and so I was wondering if there is any Ortho4XP scenery with autogen out there which I can simply download and install with a single click? So I can see what it is before I spend hours on getting into it?

Not complicated at all, last version 1.19 is self installing and runs without the needing to care about other programs (like it was before). Be aware, warning, you will end up spending more time building tiles than flying.

It's been a week that I'm working on the Venice tile trying to get the best solution, merging textures from different providers, changing masks manually, editing dds in gimp...pretty time sucker.

Autogen it's another businness, I'd not venture in creating file on your own, best to download already developed packages like the ones made by Tony or other devs (for example in Italy I use a special package made available on X-Plane.it forum). Here the problem is FPS, since in some regions (especially Europe) OSM data are pretty accurate you end up with tons of building that impact hugely on frame rate.

Furthermore we need first to check new autogen for Europe and see how it works compared with osm package.

Almost forgot, the left tendency of GA plane is not a bug...it's Xplane :)

Not complicated at all............

................trying to get the best solution, merging textures from different providers, changing masks manually, editing dds in gimp...pretty time sucker.

Er... not complicated at all you, you say....? :rolleyes: Sounds extremely complicated to me. I think I'll pass. For now at least.

Almost forgot, the left tendency of GA plane is not a bug...it's Xplane :)

Well, I wouldn't call it a tendency. It's more like as if I have the joystick full left all the time. :wink:

Er... not complicated at all you, you say....? :rolleyes: Sounds extremely complicated to me. I think I'll pass. For now at least.

No those are optional things, with the default settings it already produces great result.

There are some Norwegian tiles here made using Ortho4XP http://zonephoto.x-plane.fr/

Here is my object scenery for Norway to sit on top of the orthos http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/32684-norway-pro-vfr-scenery/. Make sure you read the instructions as it requires some extra libraries which other scenery uses also.

N.B. I'm working on updating Norway Pro shortly. There will be no required libraries and it will be much easier to install.

• Upvote 1

Someone PM'd me a tile from the Netherlands to try and it looks great! But obviously, as with all photoreal, only from one side and when looking mainly top down. Seeing a city from the wrong side and from a distance keeps on looking totally weird for me. Next step will be to test some object scenery that sits on top of that ortho.

BTW While default XP scenery was smooth things became a bit choppy with the photoreal. Not 'hard' choppy but 'soft' choppy, so no stutters but some sort of pulsing lag... don't know how to say it. Is this a known thing of photoreal or maybe this has to do with the beta?

N.B. I'm working on updating Norway Pro shortly. There will be no required libraries and it will be much easier to install.

Looking forward to it! If I can find a good source for the photoreal, that is.