Sign in to follow this  
higuys23

P3D Crashes on Task Switch

Hello. Recently I have been dealing wit P3D v3.1 freezing, hanging up, and then crashing to the desktop. This only happens when I use the windows key to select another application to use during a flight. I use Aivlasoft EFB, so it's virtually impossible for me to fly without doing so. I'm very confused about this issue as I haven't touched hardly any settings or installed new addons in quite some time, and I never used to have this issue. Below is my Event Viewer crash report:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.2.3.16769, time stamp: 0x56df48ce
Faulting module name: g2d.dll, version: 3.2.3.16769, time stamp: 0x56df4993
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00209ae0
Faulting process id: 0x2ad0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d24d943b08eb4f
Faulting application path: E:\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: E:\Prepar3D v3\g2d.dll
Report Id: 8ac9a9e7-b995-11e6-aa38-d0509968e0fc
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The only thing I've done recently is began using PTA tool for some enhanced visuals. It's hard for me to believe this would be an issue because the faulting module is g2d.dll which if I remember correctly handles plain text messages and such. The problem is also difficult to recreate. I completed a 3 hour flight last night with PTA tool tweaks enabled and switching tasks as usual, but this morning it hung up and crashed after just switching over to the Aivlasoft EFB 3 or 4 times in an hour. Any advice is appreciated.

Mark

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

http://www.avsim.com/topic/498872-p3d-crashing/

http://www.avsim.com/topic/498343-p3d-3414-hangs-when-using-other-applications/

http://www.avsim.com/topic/498448-p3d-v34-hangscrashes-when-loosing-focus/

All similar to your problem. Waiting for a fix. My workaround so far:

Although my gpu temps are stable within 60°C, I have adjusted the base clock to -50MHz and the memory clock to -150MHz. Furthermore I have forced P3D to high priority. So far I was able to make 2 flights in around 3h time without any problems. It's not an elegant solution, but considering the countless hours I have spend so far, I'm happy that it's finally running ... at least for now.

As stated in the AVSIM CTD Guide, adjusting a bad overclock where the CPU voltage is too high or too low fixes a lot of problems.  My recommendation, unless you are a computer expert as you indicate, is to return the overclock back to the optimal defaults or lower the overclock from say, 4.4GHz to 2.2GHz.

There are many other fixes that worked for many listed in the AVSIM CTD Guide on page 32 for the g2d.dll error.

Best regards,

Jim