Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

LJ35A - a couple questions - procedures...

Hi Folks,

Working on making my own checklist for this aircraft...

Question: In all the real world checklists I've found for reference - none of them mentions the "Jet Pumps"... I'm assuming these two switches are the fuel pumps for the respective sides - however - multiple startup and shutdown checklists ignore them... Are they just left "always on" - is it just an automatic action when starting or pulling the throttles into cutoff ???

Question: I've found two separate references for "arming" the thrust reversers - one of the Transition Check descending through FL180 check - the other on the Before Landing Check which I would assume is done after interception of the glideslope... When should we arm the thrust reversers for landing ???

Question: Does the DH Indicator on the Annunciator Panel (different than the one on the AI) actually work ??? I've done several flights and never noticed it and just read about it in the manual... It will be a few weeks before I have a chance to check it...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Question: Does the DH Indicator on the Annunciator Panel (different than the one on the AI) actually work ??? I've done several flights and never noticed it and just read about it in the manual...

Yes Scott, the DH indicator on the annunciator panel works.

Al

I've been switching them on at 18,000/transition, just due to the fact that during the final approach and landing, I don't want to be busy. There's no "system damage" by having them armed early. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hi Al,

Great - thanks - as always...

Hi Brendan,

Thanks as well - yeah - seemed better to me at FL180 as well - just didn't know how much of a safety issue it presented...

Hah -  side note - KDXR - right down the road from me - I've been there a bunch - I'm over at KMSV now... A friend of my parents was Chief Pilot for some corporate outfit out of KDXR as well - since retired...

Regards,
Scott

Yes! DXR is my old stomping grounds!

I forgot to answer your other question. The DH can be adjusted by the gauge on the FO's side, lower right. Just move the carat to your DH and both altimeter's DH lights will illuminate when approaching DH (it will also illuminate on ascent/takeoff- which is abnormal for a king air I used to fly that used a similar sort of gauge)

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hi Folks,

Just my checklist (still a WIP) - if anyone cares to take a gander - or needs a checklist... A bit more detailed and realistic compared to FSW's doc... Constructive feedback welcome... This is really setup for use on a smartphone but any device will work - it's in PDF format and narrow with a font large enough to read on a phone... When I fly - my PC is obviously tied up with the sim - my iPad has FltPlan GO loaded for a moving map EFB - hah - so that leaves my phone for checklists.... Data taken from the AFM and a few real world checklists... If you use an app like GoodReader it has a horizontal scroll lock to restrict movement to only the vertical - perfect for paging down narrow checklists...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jflfxdzg39l7mo/LJ35A.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Brendan....

Regards,
Scott

Very nice Scott.  

If you or anyone who is using the Lear with the GTN750 GPS you'll be aware that there is a checklist utility in the unit.  A full checklist file developed from the Lear35A manual can be downloaded from the Avsim file library and used directly by the GTN.  

Linky 

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=Lear+checklist&CatID=fsxutil&Go=Search

Of course, the drawback is you need to do a few things out of sequence to follow the full checklist from cold and dark (i.e. turn on the avionics to power up the GTN!)

There are a few items in the checklist that aren't modelled in the Lear (e.g. Oxygen system) but it's easy to edit what you want out and also add what you'd like.

Cheers,

Brent

Question: In all the real world checklists I've found for reference - none of them mentions the "Jet Pumps"... I'm assuming these two switches are the fuel pumps for the respective sides - however - multiple startup and shutdown checklists ignore them... Are they just left "always on" - is it just an automatic action when starting or pulling the throttles into cutoff ???

Question: I've found two separate references for "arming" the thrust reversers - one of the Transition Check descending through FL180 check - the other on the Before Landing Check which I would assume is done after interception of the glideslope... When should we arm the thrust reversers for landing ???

Short answer: yes, Jet Pumps are always on. 

Long answer: A "jet pump" is a specific type of pump that has no moving parts.  It uses high-pressure fuel from the engine-driven pumps (aka "motive flow") which is routed back into the wings and then sprayed out a small jet and through a venturi.   The venturi sucks fuel into a pipe that supplies the low-pressure side of the engine fuel system.  Most corporate jets in this class have jet pumps in the wings.  The Lear actually has two of these in each wing...one in the main, and one in the tip tank to feed fuel into the main.  They're fed by the same motive flow line, so turning off the Jet Pump switch stops motive flow to both, and you will have a problem getting all the fuel out of your tips (not sure if this is modeled or not).  You use the Standby Pumps only as a back-up if a jet pump fails, and they also run automatically for start.

Arming/disarming the reversers is kind of semantic.  I've seen this in checklists, as you mention, and seen it done in some Lear cockpit videos.  I suppose the idea is that...if the system is off completely, it reduces the chance of a T/R deploying in flight, but there are mechanical safeguards for that anyway.  If you were going to incorporate this into your procedures, I would think that disarming right after takeoff and re-arming when you put the gear down is the way to go.  In my RW corporate experience across a few airplanes, before landing checklists were done when we put the gear down...normally mumbled as a one-worder: "geardownbeforelandingcheck". 

My sweet spot to swing the gear is about 1-dot below the G/S, followed by flaps 20 right before interception, and flaps 40 at ~1500-1000' AGL.  For a non-precision approach, I want to be flaps 20/gear down prior to the FAF, and Flaps 40 when I see the airport and have landing assured.  I was looking through a FlightSafety training book for the Lear, and they say to fly the entire final approach segment at Flaps 40, but that's a lot of drag and you will carry a lot of power (plus this is flightsim--procedures be damned! :Devil:)  I prefer a continuous, slow reduction towards VRef at the numbers...more energy for the missed/go-around if you have to...but I suppose the simple method is to have your configuration established and speed stable the whole way down.

Hi Brent,

Thanks - I'll take a look and see if I can get it loaded... I've tried using one in a real world GNS - but - it was a little clunky - the GTN definitely has a smoother interface so maybe it works better... I'm also building Voice Attack profiles so my "co-pilot" can read them to me during critical phases of flight... Appreciate the tip...

Hi 525B,

Hah - now that's my full dollars worth... Really appreciate the detailed response - as I'm very interested in real world procedures and the mechanics behind them... You've answered more questions I've had with your real world experience and it helps a lot...Excellent write up... I wish I had started with this aviation stuff when I was younger - I'm still trying to figure out how to turn this into some type of paying gig when I get to my retirement - but I need so many hours - I'd be happy with a SEL prop job somewhere... Thanks again...

Regards,
Scott

I wish I had started with this aviation stuff when I was younger - I'm still trying to figure out how to turn this into some type of paying gig when I get to my retirement - but I need so many hours - I'd be happy with a SEL prop job somewhere... Thanks again...

You might be surprised what you can get with commercial+instrument+multi in the current climate.  My career was horribly derailed by the recession, and I received a non-flying offer when I was all hard up for work (I work ATC now).  I never imagined the current situation with regionals cancelling flights due to lack of pilots and offering $25k hiring bonuses.  The turnover is just nuts right now.  Someone might hire you to fly right seat in a King Air or something working for a day rate, part-time, and you could work up from there.  I know a number of retired folks from all walks doing just that.  Feel free to PM if you want some more thoughts on that.