Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

Aerofly FS2 + VR experiences

As i dive deeper into the world of VR, i figured i'd post some results as I move along.

I've done the same thing for X-Plane 11 in this thread and also for P3D in this thread..

So far the VR experience is best in Aerofly FS2.. Xplane, i cant get the full 3840 res to work without choking the system, so there i run at 2880 and 4x AA, still not bad but not great, while P3D was the sharpest with least shimmering (at the full 3840 res), at least second to Aerofly FS2.  But out of the box no tweaking Aerofly FS2 was the best VR experience in town, though at this state not the most complete sim around, but give it time..

First up was actually the newest test I did, i installed the new NYC addon area (to compare with XP11 and P3D's DD NYCX)..

Running Aerofly Fs2 with the rift and now NYC and it is pretty great.. some shimmering but no where near the level of P3D or Xplane 11 so far.

I had to tone down the settings though, even for my system(see sig) and 1080 card, otherwise i was getting jitter, now its smooth, the 2d screen shows 27-45 fps as i fly near the city in the default cessna.

I had to lower the VR scale to 1.50 instead of 1.8 or so.. i lowered the visual settings too.. 

Texture = high

Terrain = high

Shadow = medium

Buildings = high

Trees = high

Pretty sure, anything higher, especially ultra yielded the jitters..

Anyone else finding this to be the case with their 1080 + rift with NYC area?  Overall quite pleased.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good grief no! I think my eyes bulged a bit when I read your settings and system specs and saw frames that low. I jumped into the 747 and plopped myself straight over New York at all Ultra settings (except shadows, which I keep at low)

Rock solid 89/90fps according to the 2d screen, at that's at 2.0 supersampling.

I've consistently seen videos and heard reports of people with lower frames than me (stutters, etc) and I specifically made some vids to prove to myself I wasn't (quite) nuts.

Don't know whut the hecks going on.

Have you installed all the beta updates?

Hey you two (HiFlyer and theskyisthelimit) - please keep comparing your performance results with exactly the same settings (particularly the same shadows and Render Scale (SS) settings!) so we can all benefit. Maybe there is really a RAM timing difference that makes the system sing - you both have the same CPU/GPU combo. Make a couple of scenario test cases as well - like A320 or 747 at KLGA22 ready for takeoff or another one over the Empire State Building at 1500 feet pointed south. It might be better to check FPS without VR so that where you are looking isn't part of the difference - you would want at least 200FPS so that VR Stereo is better than 90FPS  Whoever wins, I want to build a new PC for me like theirs!!

Thanks

Dave

Good grief no! I think my eyes bulged a bit when I read your settings and system specs and saw frames that low. I jumped into the 747 and plopped myself straight over New York at all Ultra settings (except shadows, which I keep at low)

Rock solid 89/90fps according to the 2d screen, at that's at 2.0 supersampling.

I've consistently seen videos and heard reports of people with lower frames than me (stutters, etc) and I specifically made some vids to prove to myself I wasn't (quite) nuts.

Don't know whut the hecks going on.

Have you installed all the beta updates?

I'm pretty sure all the updates are installed.. it downloaded some new ones the other day.  I'm tempted to try this on a clean slate just to double check.

You mention 89/90.. are you referring to sim/atw values?  I wasnt so sure this sim used ATW or does it and how do you know the value for ATW?

Btw.. I turned shadows to low and i see the borg collective coming to get me, as you mentioned in your other thread :)

Hey you two (HiFlyer and theskyisthelimit) - please keep comparing your performance results with exactly the same settings (particularly the same shadows and Render Scale (SS) settings!) so we can all benefit. Maybe there is really a RAM timing difference that makes the system sing - you both have the same CPU/GPU combo. Make a couple of scenario test cases as well - like A320 or 747 at KLGA22 ready for takeoff or another one over the Empire State Building at 1500 feet pointed south. It might be better to check FPS without VR so that where you are looking isn't part of the difference - you would want at least 200FPS so that VR Stereo is better than 90FPS  Whoever wins, I want to build a new PC for me like theirs!!

Thanks

Dave

Good ideas..

Here are some current test scenarios:

My ram is set to 3200 mhz now (i had it up much higher before but backed it down to do some tests recently), set to stock, i think cas 15... cpu still 4.7

Video card the 1080 ftw hybrid with evga precision ocx running (stock speeds).

In all situations, i left clouds at what the sim had as default.. basically scattered fair weather clouds..

2D:  

Cessna in the cockpit with fraps as indicator..

Location:  73.99, 40.74 at 779.30 feet aiming towards statue of liberty direction (i should check the heading).  (edit: 252 is the heading)

Graphic settings all on ultra except shadows Low  and screen resolution at 1920x1080

Fraps rate:  266  (it is anywhere from 200-270 amazingly).

Had to turn off vsync otherwise it was 60

3D/VR:

Cessna in the cockpit with fraps as indicator..

Location:  73.99, 40.74 at 779.30 feet aiming towards statue of liberty direction (i should check the heading).   (edit: 252 is the heading)

Graphic settings all on ultra except shadows Low 

Fraps rate:  27-30

**i have the scale at 0.40 and render factor at the 2.0

***i see jitters when turning the head, pretty good shimmering too.

Other notes:

SteamVR beta software settings:

I'm not sure if all default or not..

Under performance top 3 are checked.. and rest are unchecked except "allow asynchronous reprojection" is checked
Under developer.. enable always on reprojection is unchecked

Not sure why i see about 1/3 the frame rate with the rift compared to your situation.

I may reboot to my test partition and reinstall and see what happens.. i'm thinking it may be a VR setting conflict outside of the Sim..

**side note/questions.. i guess there is no way to save flights so you can go back to them, short of entering all the information, like with X-plane and P3D

***for 2D triple screen testing.. short of enabling surround mode, i'm not sure how to stretch the view across all 3 to generate 5760x1080 resolution.. this can be set on the 3 monitor choices in xplane or stretched in p3d..

Shift + F1 brings up Aeroflys internal fps counter.

Then I just go into the sim and fly.

I lift my headset to look at the flatscreen, and the Fps counter tells me whats happening at that moment.

My Rift flickers between 89 and 90 FPS in VR

I don't even know where the steam VR settings are, so I suppose they are at default!  :lol:

Your 2D FPS seems fine, but there's no way that simply switching to 3D should cut your speed that much!

As for triple monitors, maybe this could help: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=738066887

(By the way, fraps is notorious for eating fps for breakfast)

Thanks for working this issue you two!

The reason that I suggested the following - A320 or 747 at KLGA RWY22 ready for takeoff - is that the downtown Manhattan scenery is in view even at the takeoff position and therefore a fairly high load of complex graphics and you don't need to move your eye position for 2d testing. You want a test case that you can just leave alone without flying - record the FPS, exit, change parameters, retest. Don't use FRAPS - just the CNTL+F1 lower left FPS. Focus on getting good comparison in 2D with no VR first since then you don't have to deal with putting the HMD on and possibly having a different view - send each other a snapshot of the takeoff position test. Same time of day, same exact clouds. Same graphics settings. Same ZOOM level - maybe all the way out (largest FOV) so that it approximates VR even with 2D. later, after 2D results are similar, then VR -  If you ask me, don't use Steam VR, just use Oculus Runtimes directly. Don't set any Nvidia graphics settings with Nvidia Inspector or the Desktop Control Panel -( all application-controlled, prefer max performance, High Quality). A lot of things to make exact for the test!

Dave

Ill have to try some of the other runway tests later.. but a quick note..

i finally got all 92gb installed on my test drive and wow.. what a difference, full ultra with full shadows plus 2.0 for the render scale and boom.. smoothness central at least when launching oculus vr mode..

the version is showing 2.01 and ea3.66 (i think because i didnt enable betas on this test).. and dated 12/29

Now i am seeing 45 fps in the split view 2d window (is there a way to make that single view?).. i'm guessing if it says 45 and its split view this is 90 fps.. i see no jitter whatsoever, amazing.. 

i'm copying this install to my regular drive and running from it tomorrow to see how it goes..

The install i had, with betas was ea3.68 but dated earlier, 12/27

update:  i decided to let it update to ea3.68 like on my other hard drive.. jumped in, i'm seeing the jitters a bit.. i wonder if its related to the later build.. ill be trying the other harddrive with ea3.66 to confirm.

Geez... I just purchased this and can't wait to try it out with the rift....

Specs a bit lower, 4790K / 980 Ti OC, but on the plus I'm running 3440x1440 instead of 4k so...

@theskyisthelimit(99),
Happy New Year almost (to all FS2 enthusiasts!!),
I think if you see 45fps, you are getting ASW to kick in. If you want to see it without ASW, hit CNTL+Numpad_1 (check numlock mode) and you should get back to 90fps. To go back to ASW, CNTL+numpad_4. ASW removes jitter on my system but adds back quite a bit of texture warp distortion so I don't prefer it.

Also, please use 1920x1080 for most monitor benchmarking since many of us have that - certainly, you can also check the other resolutions as well.

All my benchmarking has been at 2k even if some of my vids are 1080p