Sign in to follow this  
jorgemoya

P3D 747 V3 Beta 1440p at max settings test

Robert - I'm actually delighted you jumped on my post because I agree with you completely.  

I understand why you read my post as a demand for more smoothness and VAS-happiness with more stuff on board, because that's what everybody seems to want.  I should have been clearer, but my starting point was opposite to that.  I've been mostly free of VAS and performance problems because my schedule makes it hard to to justice to products as legitimately demanding as yours are.  But in the past week I've been having my introductory OOM festival, courtesy of P3D 3.4 and the A2A Constellation.  So I'm actively looking for evidence of smooth performance, and going through the calculus of what I need to turn down, turn off or throw overboard.  Jorge's performance was amazingly smooth and looked very impressive, so what first intrigued me was the question of how he got it that way.  

Now, I will say this - there are two kinds of VAS machismo (VASchismo?) out there.  There's the kind you're talking about that says, "I want it all and I want it not to crash my computer."  But there's the other kind that says, "I've never had an OOM and I'm running a 286, so if you're having OOM's there's something wrong with you."  Note - that's not you, that's a user/forum thing.  When that comes up, I like to ask about the smooth moralistic 286 guy's setup and I usually find out that he's running default scenery and no AI and no weather, but he's not admitting that, he's just slamming the other guy who's trying to run a reasonable middle-of-the-road setup.  So I've gotten skeptical about extraordinary performance claims, at least 'til I've found out what the baseline is and I'm able to get to an apples-to-apples comparison.  Not saying that's what Jorge was doing, not at all, but the desire for a clear baseline remains.

So for all those reasons - genuine interest, resistance to smoothness-without-evidence, wanting a baseline -  I was looking for a little more detail.  Which is why I made this comment:

Or, for that matter, any level of autogen and AI, as long as we know what it is.  Just tell us what the settings were for the video.  Then we'd have a better idea of what we're actually seeing.  

How I figure this stuff out: I do have my own personal limits, or at least preferences.  I like to fly in a somewhat populated world, so I'm resistant to add-on aircraft that are so high-intensity that they require you to turn everything off in order to fly them.  I'm thinking of a recently released European airliner, to cite one example.  I understand completely why somebody would disagree with me and would be so fascinated with the airplane that he wants to focus exclusively on its systems and doesn't much care what's going on outside the window.  I'd like to be able to make fully informed choices about this.  The developers of the European airliner did a great job of making it completely clear what the required settings were going to be, so we were able to choose accordingly.

In the case of your 747, I'm confident PMDG is quite good at allowing at least some parts of the world in.  I'm watching videos and reading posts to figure out how much.  I've got a strong pull toward the 747 going back to my first time (Northwest Flight 7 from KJFK to KORD in 1970), so I'm really hopeful I can come on board.

In the case of me and my Connie, and maybe also your 74, I think I'm going to have to pull my autogen down another notch and maybe get rid of a vector product that comes from the southern hemisphere.  Happy to make those tradeoffs if that's what it takes.

Hope this makes more sense of my post.  As the french say, you have right.  Thanks for listening!

EDIT:  I'd really, really like to keep my intergalactic sunspots, if I can...  B)

• Upvote 3

That is one of the new features of the V3 - the cockpit rattling / shaking model is active on the ground and for turbulence in flight. It is driven by a number of factors and when triggered it uses sounds from a random pool of 30 different shaking and rattle sound files. I can promise you that no flight will ever sound the same!

That's really cool. I thought it was EZDok or ChasePlane. Is there a way (and/or plans) to back-port that to the 777 or NGX?

That's really cool. I thought it was EZDok or ChasePlane. Is there a way (and/or plans) to back-port that to the 777 or NGX?

Garrett,

I hope so but it is too early to tell .... we shall cross that bridge when we get to it.

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Don't slats move too slowly to raise in time when reverse thrust is started?

They do move quite slowly even in Primary Pneumatic Mode (They don't even move during Electric mode). In real life, the LE flaps start moving around the time the reverser sleeves reach full deployment. I guess by the time you get to max reverse thrust, they are well on their way to being fully stowed.

Cheers

John H Watson