Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

USB3 thumb drive

Hello all,

I have just read that Kingston have released, or are about to release, a thumb drive (USB3) with a capacity of both 1 and/or 2 terabytes.

I was wondering if this could possibly replace either an HDD or even an SSD for any sim.  If indeed, it is possible (read viable), would it be faster than an HDD but slower than a SSD, or faster than both? 

Cost at this time is unknown but I will certainly be buying one (or getting one from Australia as they will not be available here in Indonesia for about a decade)  for storage purposes at least.

Thoughts????

Regards to all

Tony Chilcott

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would simply read up on the specs on the candidate drives...and make your decision...

Chas

Chas,

Thanks mate.  I kinda thought that would be the case.  I was just wondering if using the USB stick would  be practical or, indeed, advisable.

I believe that speed would fall somewhere in the middle but apart from convenience would there be any other disadvantages or advantages.

Thanks for your response mate.  As usual it is extremely appreciated

Regards

Tony 

The will not replace the SSD or HDD - https://www.kingston.com/us/usb/usb_30.  They will be good for streaming movies and data transfers only.  You should be able to move all of your MegaSceneryX photo scenery to the drive though at high speeds for storage.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim,

At download speeds ranging from 1kps through to a blistering 120kps here in Indonesia I dont believe streaming movies is a practical proposition LOL.  

I will be buying one when I get back to OZ but I will be using for storage back-up I think.

Thanks for your practical advice mate

Regards

Tony