Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

World2XP overlays vs Ortho Overlays, disabling roads, and other ortho4xp questions

I cant remember if this was said .. is there a way to just kill autogen trees but keep buildings? (in the yOrtho4XP_Overlays folder)..

I'm beginning to think that some of this autogen really kills the real life imagery immersion/effect.

Also, i'm curious.. how is everyone handling folder names.. do you leave it the default.. or do you put indications in the folder name so you can at least identify which state it is located in for instance.. however changing names makes the map on/off impossible to do with control clicks (linking).. i'm thinking maybe ill use xaddonmanager groups to group things (unless there is a better solution).. there are times i'd like to turn areas on and off with a single click.. i guess there is always the map.

Related to the map.. for some reason, last time i downloaded some tiles.. i control clicked to link them.. instead of the links ending up in custom scenery they went to the root of the drive.. does anyone know why this might have happened?

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I have similar problem regarding naming the tile folders too. Also it seems if you keep tiles inside Ortho4XP/Tiles, you can rename the individual tile folders, otherwise Ortho4XP won't recognize them. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I just keep the names as they are. The coordinates tell you what tile it is. Also keep them all in the Ortho4XP folder, this way you can easily regenerate them with different ZL's, overlays or individual higher ZL's for airports or cities. Good website to check out coordinates: http://www.netzwolf.info/ol2/wgsgrid

Hans

For getting rid of trees on beaches, what is the best tool for this.. i think someone said overlay editor, but in looking at that, its not obvious to me how it would actually help, seems to be more for airports and road fixes?

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I cant remember if this was said .. is there a way to just kill autogen trees but keep buildings? (in the yOrtho4XP_Overlays folder)..

I'm beginning to think that some of this autogen really kills the real life imagery immersion/effect.

I have not been able to find an answer to this either.  I know you can go into the Overlay editor and remove the trees manually, but there are some complete tiles that I would like to be able to remove the overlay trees and it would great if there was a way to do it when building the overlay in Ortho4XP. 

Jim

Having another issue.. when i attempted to do a batch job to redo overlays for areas i forgot.. i got through about 31 of them just fine, then it is stuck at 

Independent Step  : Building of an Overlay DSF from third party data : 
-------------------

-> Making a copy of the original overlay DSF in tmp dir
-> The original DSF is a 7z archive, uncompressing...

Any ideas why it would stick like this or how to get around.. now i guess i have to redo all 51 of them, since i dont want to go through and try to decipher which worked and didnt..

EDIT:  i looked in the command window.. it was prompting to overwrite by pressing a key.. i never thought to check there.. there should be a way to have that auto select from the gui, but i guess not.

Is there an easier way to batch redo overlays only, aside from shift clicking on the map ? (IE: maybe a batch file)

Is there any reason to keep the OrthoPhotos folder?  Is this used to speed up switching between ZL levels perhaps? (if more than one are installed)?

I noticed on my pc that i use to do some bulk downloading this folder builds up, so i end up clearing it out to free up some temp space.

I have tried  hard to get rid of water photos and get the x-plane water instead (different overlay sources, reinstallation of ortho4xp, different settings....)

I changed the config file for Ortho4Xp  with setting "1"for the water option (X-Plane water) and water for inland "True". But it doesnt have any effect on the result.

- Does anyone have suggestions for how to get rid of static Ortho4xp photo water?

- How does it work with the photo water vs. X-plane water. If I get x-plane water in a lake for instance, is that due to a "hole" in the picture at that spot or is that due to overlay information so the x-plane water is "placed upon" the picture of the water just as a roads and buildings. In that case, It could be that this information doesnt come across in the custom scenery.

Hope anyone can help. I get more and more grey hair :-)

Best regards.