Sign in to follow this  
dutto88

Good 30Hz monitor

1) Controlled by the Nvidia drivers though. Also, as you mentioned yourself, G-sync was initially ineffective due to the nature of the way P3D handled its borderless screen. This changed after the introduction of the 353xxx driver series I believe, followed by Nvidia inspector allowing you to access the uncovered G-Sync application mode/Fullscreen and Windowed option choices. Again software: as is the NVI Framerate limiter.

So no, I don't think G-sync is software, but I do know that altering its behaviour is mostly accessed through software.

So instead of admitting you were wrong, you're now trying to twist and spin this so it sounds like you knew what it was all along? C'mon man. Let me guess, you think a graphics card is also software, because it needs a driver to function? Of course not. It's hardware. A GPU is hardware. No one is going to have some pedantic debate of whether a graphics card is software or hardware. G-Sync is a hardware module embedded in your monitor, of course it's hardware.

I think any massive variance is probably still well within range of amelioration by the technology.

And well without the bounds of what people want and ask in this very thread. The entire 30Hz / V-Sync / TB solution is very specific to solving some underlying engine issues with the ESP-platform and to get the smoothest result, without any judders, stutters, tearing and what have you. In that very quote you've pasted, you can clearly see it 'solves' sub-30FPS by redrawing the same frames, from a local buffer, to give the illusion of a smooth, tear-free environment. Now put that into the context of a rendering scenario, how do you think identical, re-drawn frames will be perceived for the human eye? It's not going to be a visual feast and will most likely result in quite a lot of juddering.

It's meant as a 'fail safe' if the framerate takes a nosedive. It's not meant to make the technology tolerable by running sub-30 for extended amount of times, then it'll be worse. It's not the recommended working range of G-Sync and makes no sense to use it in that area. You aren't benefiting from triple buffering and your increasing your instances of juddering.

Also, for your information, it has been available through the Nvidia CP. You didn't and don't need Nvidia Inspector to manipulate it.

In a thread regarding buying a new monitor, I assume "giving it a shot" would be deciding whether they wanted to go for a G-sync monitor as one known to be capable of handling the lower HZ requested by the thread starter..........

Given the amount of times you happily suggest people try it themselves and saying things like 'It can't hurt to at least give it a shot and see what happens', plus your other comments suggesting you thought this was a software-level feature that was accessible to everyone, I'm inclined not to believe you. Unless you suggest people go out and drop $700 on a G-Sync monitor just to try? Dropping all that money to order one home, test it, go through the enormous hassle of sending it back again? Bringing your copy of P3D to the store, ask if you can test the G-Sync for a few hours?

Putting aside all the rest of it since I think a simple reccomendation of a monitor has been dragged waaaaaaay off course, I would say I've always believed that compensating for such things was the very reason for G-sync.

And I can see you still haven't fully understood the point of the 30Hz request, maybe you don't fully understand the various scenarios that a 'stutter' can occur. G-Sync cannot smooth out nor dynamically adjust the framerate based on no information. That means a frame that isn't delivered. That is the entire reason of the 30Hz / V-Sync / TB combination. For most people, 30FPS is usually considered the working limit / area of P3D, thus they aim for 30Hz to V-Sync at 30FPS. But the main thing here is triple buffering. That will effectively eliminate the stutters, given you can also maintain the framerate. So whenever a frame is about to drop, it'll have a buffered 'backup' to serve instead, thus delivering a smooth image. That is NOT something G-Sync can do. Stutters in relation to G-Sync are usually the "stutters" you feel from framerate variance, not running an always locking / unlocking V-Sync and running sub-60, the low framerate being perceived as non-smooth or "stuttering".

Which takes us back to your original post; "All G-sync monitors can run at 30hz." Which again shows you aren't aware why people want the 30Hz option in relation to P3D. G-Sync is NOT recommended for running on the ragged edge of its cut-off. It has fail-safes to make the experience tolerable but it'll still provide a non-satisfactory experience. Just meant as a temporary safety not, nothing more. Which is also why I said no, they can't do 30Hz manually, because people are looking for the custom resolution of 30Hz to be able to run the magic settings combo. A lot of G-Sync monitors will reject a manual 30Hz resolution.

So within the parameters of what people are asking, G-Sync is useless. Within the parameters of what G-Sync offers in regards to P3D, it's also a terrible solution as you get none of the TB benefits, with the increased possibility of juddering. If your sim is running in the magical 40-60FPS area, then G-Sync may come to its right.

So yes, it has been dragged of course but I think it's crucial to understand the importance of triple buffering in this case, something G-Sync cannot replace nor provide the same benefits of.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

So instead of admitting you were wrong, you're now trying to twist and spin this so it sounds like you knew what it was all along? C'mon man. Let me guess, you think a graphics card is also software, because it needs a driver to function? Of course not. It's hardware. A GPU is hardware. No one is going to have some pedantic debate of whether a graphics card is software or hardware. G-Sync is a hardware module embedded in your monitor, of course it's hardware.

What.

on. 

Earth?  :blink:

I'm not even reading on to the rest at this point, since we've gone past any productive conversation, and are into "fighting on the internet territory" and probably closing onto YouTube comments section level.

Life is too short, so instead, you have an absolutely great and wonderful weekend, and TGIF :smile:   

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You have an absolutely great and wonderful weekend, and TGIF :smile:

Same to you, sir.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Trying to overlook some of the "back and forths" in this post the point that 30Hz (native res) / V-Sync (in sim) / TB (in sim) combo still holds.

Once I moved to this set-up with my 4K Samsung TV and use a hardware and settings set-up that run at 30fps or above pretty consistently I've never been happier.

Now when I turn on AS16 real-time weather that might be very cloudy or stormy and I can't maintain 30fps then I will see some stutters.

I tend to create my own weather profiles using AS16+ASCA and use them anyway so to avoid this most of the time. Also AI limiters make a big difference I have tried both Pete's latest FSUIPC option and the AI Traffic limiter small program and currently still use the small program.

Good info in this post and thanks to everyone for continuing to share insights!

Joe 

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2