Sign in to follow this  
monitron

Cold fuel in the ER model

I was on a quick hop across the ditch from YSSY to NZAA in a Qantas 747-400ER. I had set my weather with a tailwind of 100 knots and an outside temp of -50 at 37,000FT.

About halfway in to the flight (1.5 hours) I received the FUEL TEMP LOW warning. I reduced altitude to 33,000FT where the temp was a bit warmer and the fuel temp continued to drop. I then descended to 27,000 where the outside temp was -34 and the fuel temp still continued to drop. It got down to -49c before I quit.

Is this normal to drop that fast in that region? I fly this route on the 737 and never see this. I did a Sydney to Melbourne flight on a RR powered Qantas 747 and the temp didn't drop like this. Could it be a bug in the ER model?

When you lost altitude, did you lose speed as well? You want to increase speed to bring more friction to the wings - will have to fly the ER version before I make an educated guess.

Have you checked the manuals for the message and follow through with the appropriate actions?

Regards,

Brandon

I lost a small amount of ground speed - 525 to 510. I followed the actions of reducing altitude to 27,000FT but no course deviation as I had the weather setting as global and it would be a waste of time.

TAT was around -67c. On another flight from Perth to Sydney a couple of nights before on the RR powered Qantas bird it was -30c.

It could have been P3D causing it, I will try the flight again when I get a chance, this time without setting the weather manually.

I followed the actions of reducing altitude to 27,000 

Yeah, I am suspecting the weather engine.  I'd take screen shots and share with my friends if I ever saw a TAT of -67C, I cannot imagine what the SAT was.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

On my way from syd to yvr in the Qantas ER. 10hrs real flight time have elapsed. Currently at FL370.

TAT -14C (7F) SAT is -46C (-50.8F), fuel temp is -11C (-12F) - well above jeta1 freeze point.

I'm willing to bet your left one that the weather engine was mis configured. Mine is on auto real world weather.

• Upvote 1

Brian Nellis

Gents, thanks for the answers. 

I think my left one is safe in this instance and bet it was the weather engine after reading your responses. I can't say I've ever had good dealings with the P3D custom weather. I found the FSX version more reliable. 

Auto weather from now on.

• Upvote 1