Sign in to follow this  
tcas_climb

Whoever did the APU sounds

Thank you! That thing sounds so delicious when it starts up and shuts down, I always have to switch to outside view to listen to it, and then i get a big grin on my face. I just about prefer it to the engine sounds themselves. Excellent work guys.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The 747 APU I once heard is a 737 cfm56b engine surprisingly enough. 

Not quite a CFM56, but it is derived from a jet engine used on bizjets:

PW901A/C

P&WC PW901C APU is a twoshaft gas turbine engine, originally derived from a Pratt & Whitney turbofan engine used in popular business jets. It provides power for the Boeing 747-8 and its predecessor, the PW901A-powered Boeing 747-400. During on-ground operation, it provides bleed air for cabin conditioning from a low spool-driven load compressor, and electrical power from two gearbox-mounted 90kVA generators.

Not quite a CFM56, but it is derived from a jet engine used on bizjets:

PW901A/C

P&WC PW901C APU is a twoshaft gas turbine engine, originally derived from a Pratt & Whitney turbofan engine used in popular business jets. It provides power for the Boeing 747-8 and its predecessor, the PW901A-powered Boeing 747-400. During on-ground operation, it provides bleed air for cabin conditioning from a low spool-driven load compressor, and electrical power from two gearbox-mounted 90kVA generators.

The PW901C APU is derived from the core of the JT15D engine found on aircraft such as the 500-series Cessna Citations, Beechjet 400A etc.