Sign in to follow this  
asmitde

Is it possible to configure yoke roll axis for 1:1 motion?

Hi,

Is there any way to configure the roll axis of any of the saitek or ch product yokes for a 1:1 motion? I know that these yokes have a 45 deg motion on either side which translates to a 90 deg motion on either side in the sim. For example, at the leftmost point in the hardware (at 45deg), I want the sim to also translate to a 45 deg left. I realize that I will not have the full range of motion, but is it possible to do this? Basically I want the yoke to behave like the Cessna pro flight yoke with 1:1 motion (which is no longer in production I think) but of course with the inevitable physical restriction to 45deg on either side.

I fly both X-plane 11 and FSX:SE.

I will prefer a software solution to a hardware solution, but I'm open to both.

Thanks,

Asmit

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,

Is there any way to configure the roll axis of any of the saitek or ch product yokes for a 1:1 motion? I know that these yokes have a 45 deg motion on either side which translates to a 90 deg motion on either side in the sim. For example, at the leftmost point in the hardware (at 45deg), I want the sim to also translate to a 45 deg left. I realize that I will not have the full range of motion, but is it possible to do this? Basically I want the yoke to behave like the Cessna pro flight yoke with 1:1 motion (which is no longer in production I think) but of course with the inevitable physical restriction to 45deg on either side.

I fly both X-plane 11 and FSX:SE.

I will prefer a software solution to a hardware solution, but I'm open to both.

Thanks,

Asmit

You may want to hold off a few months. There is a new option due out this summer. Check this link  https://pcflight.net/ces-2017-brand-new-yoke-system-announced/

I think there is some misunderstanding here. Your yoke or joystick will almost certainly produce a linear output. You can verify this by watching it in the game controller settings calibration page in Windows control panel. FSX (or X-Plane, or whatever) will then map the full range of your yoke's movement onto the full range of movement of your virtual controls. This means it is irrelevant whether you are using a Saitek Pro Flight yoke or a Saitek Pro Flight Cessna yoke, you will still get the full range of movement in the virtual cockpit. However, in neither case will you get linear movement - i.e. the 1:1 mapping you are talking about. You can clearly see this in my video review of the Saitek Cessna yoke here (start at 4 mins for the relevant bit).

The problem arises because FSX interferes with the mapping. It probably does this as a compromise to address the limitations of desktop joystick controllers. FSX always applies a non-linear (exponential) mapping to the input from your Windows game controller, whether it is a Saitek yoke or a no-name joystick. I can't speak for X-Plane as I don't have it. For FSX there are ways to get around this scaling. A registered copy of FSUIPC does it because it manages the inputs outside of FSX (you can tell this because it still works if you uncheck the 'enable controllers' box in FSX). The Yoko yoke comes with a custom program that manages the joystick axes outside of FSX, for the same reasons. I don't know much about the technicalities beyond this but I have discovered this product, which appears to give you complete control over any DirectX joystick device.