Sign in to follow this  
Adrian Black

FSX freezes after 3 hrs in-flight

Once again, another problem with FSX, they just won't stop!

I've done two long hauls in the past two weeks, and have had the same problem each time, where after about 3hrs, FSX starts to freeze up for about 15 secs, unfreeze, continue for about 5 secs then freeze again. I did one of these flights in the PMDG 777 and the other in the 747 v3, si it's not the plane. I have only recently had this problem, as recent as the time i've turned on the FSUIPC autosave feature, and i have a feeling it might be the problem. I have my FPS set to unlimited, with no external limiter, which i've heard could cause this as well. I will do some more experimenting, but if anyone has any ideas, it would be great.

Thanks

Adrian

You can try some different things: set a bufferpool setting of 14. lessen your overclock if you have one. turn of cpu hyperthreading in the bios. change fsx to unlimited fps or locked if its set to unlimited.

Hello my friend, I too have been flying FSX for many years, and with that I have had many problems with FSX which really started when FSX came out in "2006.

One of the things i learned over time is That FSX allows you up 4 gig of crap you can load into FSX, if you are running a 64 bit system, meaning all the addons come with a price. the more add ons you put on FSX the more backyard you are using.

Let me tell you what i  think is going on with your sim. 

Software like the pmdg uses up alot of fsx 4 gig space, now add that to your other add ons and you will find that you will be running out of room quickly.

When you start to go border line, and start to get close to that 4 gig limit, you should if set up right, will get a out of mem warning sound that sounds like something in your cockpit. 

The computer is telling you to turn down some slyders or it will quit on you.

Your vid card is and perhaps your cpu cannot handle all the drawing it has to do to keep up.

So you will lock up or it will quit on you.

pmdg is a complicated aircraft and takes up alot of ground to run in your system, if it is not beefy enought you will have those issues.

I had this problem also and for a long time did not know what was going on. It never froze on the ground , but after i got in the sky and after a few minutes or two hours. Mostl when im getting close. i would freeze up.

One time it froze after 6 hours in the air, and i was getting these warnings  of OOM,s.

What i had to do to fix this was revamp my computer. Meaning I had to decide what was the most important add on,s you need.

The new systems today are fast, but they do not address your oom problems. you will have to decide what you want on your system.

If you use PMDG great, but you will have to decide what other software you want to put on to not go over the 4 gig limit. I believe PMDG uses almost a third of your four gig limit. and any other add ons you  use you will have to decide.

So bottom line is I believe you are running out of VID MEM. there fore you must drop some items you have on FSX , 

I coild be way off on this as being your problem, if so my apoligies.

There are several articles on this. Google it.

I truly hope this helps.......................RobertC

• Upvote 1

On 2/27/2017 at 10:30 AM, Mr.midnight said:

Hello my friend, I too have been flying FSX for many years, and with that I have had many problems with FSX which really started when FSX came out in "2006.

One of the things i learned over time is That FSX allows you up 4 gig of crap you can load into FSX, if you are running a 64 bit system, meaning all the addons come with a price. the more add ons you put on FSX the more backyard you are using.

Let me tell you what i  think is going on with your sim. 

Software like the pmdg uses up alot of fsx 4 gig space, now add that to your other add ons and you will find that you will be running out of room quickly.

When you start to go border line, and start to get close to that 4 gig limit, you should if set up right, will get a out of mem warning sound that sounds like something in your cockpit. 

The computer is telling you to turn down some slyders or it will quit on you.

Your vid card is and perhaps your cpu cannot handle all the drawing it has to do to keep up.

So you will lock up or it will quit on you.

pmdg is a complicated aircraft and takes up alot of ground to run in your system, if it is not beefy enought you will have those issues.

I had this problem also and for a long time did not know what was going on. It never froze on the ground , but after i got in the sky and after a few minutes or two hours. Mostl when im getting close. i would freeze up.

One time it froze after 6 hours in the air, and i was getting these warnings  of OOM,s.

What i had to do to fix this was revamp my computer. Meaning I had to decide what was the most important add on,s you need.

The new systems today are fast, but they do not address your oom problems. you will have to decide what you want on your system.

If you use PMDG great, but you will have to decide what other software you want to put on to not go over the 4 gig limit. I believe PMDG uses almost a third of your four gig limit. and any other add ons you  use you will have to decide.

So bottom line is I believe you are running out of VID MEM. there fore you must drop some items you have on FSX , 

I coild be way off on this as being your problem, if so my apoligies.

There are several articles on this. Google it.

I truly hope this helps.......................RobertC

Thanks so much, really did give a lot of information! I will have to be very careful from now on, and will probably have to restart my flight after a couple hours to make sure i don't run out of memory.

Once again thanks so much!

Adrian

On 2/27/2017 at 3:22 AM, 777200lrf said:

You can try some different things: set a bufferpool setting of 14. lessen your overclock if you have one. turn of cpu hyperthreading in the bios. change fsx to unlimited fps or locked if its set to unlimited.

After locking my framerates using Nvidia inspector, it seems a lot more smoother, and more stable, thanks so much!!

Adrian

12 hours ago, A380Adrian said:

After locking my framerates using Nvidia inspector, it seems a lot more smoother, and more stable, thanks so much!!

Adrian

You're welcome I noticed a difference by locking fps too it helped the freezing. If it happens again try a affinity mask setting of 14, PMDG recommend that for freezing

• Upvote 1