Sign in to follow this  
Guest dpc

TrackerIR4 Pro or not? That's the question..

Hi all,Lately I see a lot of postings/videos about TrackerIR4.Is it really that good? I'm considering to buy but I'm a bit reluctant mainly because of the price (appr. 175-200 Euro in NL)Is it more suitable for GA or also for the heavy jets?Does it impact on the framerates?How sensitive is it to head movements, or is there some kind of null-zone?

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest claytonsiem

I've got it. And I love it.It brings the realism up to a degree unseen until I installed it.It works for any aircraft with a VC. It has had very little impact on my framerates that I've noticed.It is completely adjustable as far as sensitivity, so you can speed up/slow down head movements.Great investment towards realism.Clayton

Hi,I love it too! It's absolutely awesome, it add's a whole new dimension. It truly puts you inside the (VC-)cockpit and greatly improves your situational awereness and feeling of "being there".-It's suitable for any plane, provided they have a VC (although you could set it up to use it in spot-plane too, if you wish so). It's awesome in both GA and in heavy jets.-I don't notice any framerate impact.-The included software comes with a whole range of pre-sets, for sims that support TrackIR. You can (very easily) edit those for sensitivity, or just create a complete new preset of your own-- including null-zone.Personally, I consider it the best money I've ever spend on FS. I wouldn't want to fly without it anymore! Hope this helps.Gert (flying since FS1)EHAM

Guest Wayne Smith

Just got Track IR 4 Pro, and think its great! It makes a major difference for me, when flying low level VFR in helicopters - which is most of my flying. Lining up to land at heliports, and checking for traffic before departing is much easier - just a glance in the appropriate direction!Regards,WayneMetro One / NMH01Metro Helicopters VAwww.metrohelo.org

If you have a chair that does not move around a lot then it is pretty neat but if you move your head too far in one direction the view can get messed up. Overall though it is worth the 100+ dollars imo.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest Tomlin

OKAY! thanks guys for answering this one for me:Ive been considering TIRV4 too since I will be doing a sim demo at a EAA Young Eagles Fly in soon. I will be in a lighted hangar, and so my concern is this-will the full lighting of the hangar interupt the use of the Track IR (meaning do I need a more dim-lit room)?thanks,Eric

Guest mike_cyul

I must be one of the few that doesn't really like it. I find that there is too much head movement, no matter what the setting, and doesn't seem natural to me, at all. A glance at the keyboard, and you're looking at your lap in the VC. Perhaps because I also fly in real life, that amount of movement is just a distraction - even though I tend to look around a lot in reality, too. It IS very useful when taxiing tail-draggers, though!Mike F.

Try using the shortcut to freeze your view when looking at the keyboard or something else. I assigned it to one of the buttons on my joystick and it works great...Pat

> Lately I see a lot of postings/videos about TrackerIR4.> Is it really that good? > I'm considering to buy but I'm a bit reluctant mainly because of the price (appr. 175-200 Euro in NL)> Is it more suitable for GA or also for the heavy jets?> Does it impact on the framerates?> How sensitive is it to head movements, or is there some kind of null-zone?Its really addictive and works very well with Active Camera. If you turn it off and use the hat switch to look around you will know what you have been missing. Personally I prefer to have the X,Y,Z degrees quite sensitive to movement and the other 3 less sensitive. Currently there isn't a null zone, but I guess they could offer that in a new release of the software.John.

Eric,I have trackIR 3 and not 4 but I'd assume the effect is basically the same. With the roof lamp lit in my simulator room I have no problem with the functionality of TrackIR. However, if I have a table lamp lit behind my back, TrackIR picks it up, gets confused and starts rocking the view back and forth. So it seems to be sensitive to light sources within its field of view. It also takes a bit of experimenting with the height and distance in relation to your head (or where your reflective material is positioned), but once it's set up properly it works beautifully!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

>Currently there isn't a null zone, but>I guess they could offer that in a new release of the>software.>>John.Hi,It is possible to modify the null zone. It's called "Editing Acceleration Curves (Adjusting Speed)". -From the online-manual: "Changing the Acceleration Curve for an Axis allows you to fine-tune the amount of head movement used to control your view, it also be used to create Dead-Zones which help keep the view stable for types of use like Flight Simulation combat."Hope this helps.Gert

Hi all,Thanks a lot for all your comments!Next weekend I'm afraid I have to pay the flightsim shop a small visit :-lol

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest squale

why do people use BOTH Active Camera and Track IR, they would seem to be competing products to me..

Guest TrebuTa

I would love to buy it, too bad I don't know any stores that got this in Belgium. And I still refuse to pay online cause I don't trust it.

Guest Tophatter

Actually Active Camera and Track IR are complimentary programs. With Track IR you can pan around and move your point of view within limits of where your initial view starts. With Active Camera you can set up multiple preset viewpoints and then use Track IR along with it. For instance, with Active Camera you could set a view as one of the seat assignments in your virtual cabin then once there use Track IR to pan etc. Active Camera also lets you use the mouse in external view for panning and zooming and replaces the standard tower view with a continuous fly-by view or approach view depending on which you activate. Active Camera lets you leave your aircraft and walk around it while on the ground.Bud