Sign in to follow this  
MatteoThePilot05

Install error 1603

Hello everyone, I started this topic because I got a problem about installing FSX with the classical 1603 error. I know this topic already exists on three hundred other forums but in my case the reason of my error has absolutely no sense and I will explain why. I got a new PC and installed FSX ( Gold Edition ). After a few days , they were already the consecutive fatal crashes so I decided to completely uninstall the sim. Afterwards I tried the reinstall but got the Acceleration activation problem and tried to solve it via doing the trick on the registry.( this part of PartMgr and so on...) The problem is that I misunderstood it at first and deleted whole registry keys. To not take risks I made a reset of the pc ( reinstalling win 10 ). After a few weeks I decided to install again the sim because the pc was at it factory state. ( so if it was brand new ) That's why I thought I wouldn't have any problem during the install of FSX because the pc was completely refreshed but that s when I actually got the 1603 error. My question is why does it happen to me when the pc was completely refreshed ( not only uninstalling FSX but the whole system ) because the one who usually get this kind error is when they reinstall which isn't my case.Why do I have such errors on a new installed Windows ? What could be then a solution ? Hope you understand what I mean.  I would appreciate any help ; )

Matteo

If you find the answer, let me know as it happened to me when I installed Acceleration (not FSX) and I used the PartMgr trick to get it to work.  Thing is, the PartMgr was already set to what was required (PartMgr=0)(think that was the instructions) so I changed it to a 1 and tried again and got the error and changed it back to an 0 and this time it installed perfectly.  I just built a new system so my install was completely new too.  Strange but true but happy it worked.  Perhaps, because you did not install with Administrative Rights, the error occurred as the system registry would not allow you access to make changes to the registry.  Computers and operating systems are like this.  They do evil and strange things to see if they can get a user really upset and frustrated and destroy things. :blink:

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I too got this error very recently when I tried to do a fresh install of the Gold Edition FSX, and that after a fresh Windows 10 re-install. When I further researched it, it alluded to a Windows Installer.either missing or corrupted. No matter what I tried could not resolve it..

So, in the end after saving my data, I did a complete hard drive re-format and fresh Windows 10 re-install and as I already had an FSX-SE sim previously, decided to bypass FSX Gold Edition. The FSX-SE install went flawlessly as I was able re-install legacy aircraft like the Level-D 767-300ER as well as the PMDG MD-11. No 1603 errors encountered.

What I find strange is that it didn't happen the first time because after a new Windows install it is the same situation. When I installed FSX via the two discs it always launches as admin so this ain't the problem I think. Should i simply retry ? ( it would be the 4th time ) . There isn't a logical explanation as it happened also to vc10man but what is finally th cause ?

Best regards,

Matteo

Apparently, the 1603 and 1722 errors can come up for some even if they do a fresh install of Windows 10, as you have done.   There doesn't appear to be any other solution to this, other than what you have tried earlier.   However, when you do try it again, remember to first shut down FSX, then when you go to the specified Registry Key/Sub-keys, make sure PartMgr is only there after you double click on Upper Filters.   Then close the Registry Editor and reboot computer.

This solution applies to errors for both FSX and Acceleration installs.   If still no joy, then you may need to consider purchasing FSX-Steam, which comes with the Acceleration inclusions.

Also, may I add, that  when I did a Windows 10 re-install, I was trying to do it from a previous Build compared to the latest Anniversary Update Build, so I think somewhere along the lines, I had some corrupt Registry or other files that caused that Error Flag.

Once I opted for a clean re-install using a new Windows 10 Pro x64 Build, all seemed smooth after that.