Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

Disabling various forums?

Back in the 'Good ole days' you could select which forums to see, or more importantly, not to see. Is there such an option on the new shiny forum? I'm not interested in hearing about how marvelous X-Plane 11 is or the trials and tribulations of ChasePlane users. (I could go on...)

If there is such an option I've not yet found it.

Cheers, Ron. With the greatest respect to XP11 and Plane Chasers. :cool:

• Upvote 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I agree. The front page of the forums is getting  terribly unwieldy to navigate, so I just scan the unread posts feed. But I have no interest  in some of the forums, so it would be nice to be able to permanently  hide any posts from them as was possible  with the old forum software. There must be a way of doing so with the new forum software.

We do not have the capability of members to hide individual forums but you can hide the main categories and all of the forums in that category will be hidden.

Just go to the main forum page and, on the right side of the main forum category title (such as New Member Forums, AVSIM Fixed Based Operations), click on the arrow and the forums in that category will not appear.  You don't want to see the Commercial Forums?  Click on the arrow on the right and they are gone.  If you want to see what is going on in that category, you simply click on the arrow on the right side of the category title and the forums will appear.  With Cookies turned on (and you must have cookies turned on for AVSIM), the forums will not appear when you return.

EDIT:  If you hide all of the categories, it might even make loading AVSIM during your next visit even faster!

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim. More of an axe than a scalpel but a step in the right direction. Will there be a refinement of this any time soon? To banish the whole of the Commercial section is a bit 'baby+bathwater, throwing out of'. :dry:

P.S. Would you ask Chock to put a bog standard smiley into the collection please? These shades are getting to be embarrassing! :cool:

You can go at it another way.  Go into the forums you typically want to read and click the "Follow" button.  Then, at the top of the Unread Content page you can filter on the "Following"->"Content I follow".  A bit of tedium but it's a good way to get only the interesting stuff.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Ron,

If this is not the solution you seeked (and evidently it wasn't), and, as others say (Jay for one), that we were able to disable individual forums in the previous version, then I can safely state this ability did not come with the upgraded version and doubt it was a default setting in the previous version too.  There may be a payware add-on that allows this but I cannot find one.  I do not recall ever seeing this option allowed for members to only view forums they have an interest in.

I conducted several Google searches for this capability and could find no capability for members to select the forums they want to view.  As an Admin, I can hide forums from member views.  To me it does not sound like a very good option to hide forums you do not want to see.  It would be time consuming to go to the forum and untick the box so you can see the forum again and read some of the topics.

Perhaps Chase will have some input or knowledge of this capability but I have gone through every possible setting and cannot find this capability other than what I told you in my last post.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

[...] or the trials and tribulations of ChasePlane users.

:laugh: Really sorry about that mate!

• Upvote 2

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

5 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

You can go at it another way.  Go into the forums you typically want to read and click the "Follow" button.  Then, at the top of the Unread Content page you can filter on the "Following"->"Content I follow".  A bit of tedium but it's a good way to get only the interesting stuff.

Yep. That's what I finally did. Here's a screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahb8w5igaric7cz/avsim content.jpg?dl=0

First, I went to the "Unread" stream, then under Content Types I changed the content to Forums and clicked on the little gear setup icon. I marked all the forums that I wanted to read. Then I clicked Apply Changes and saved the stream. The new stream was nowhere to be seen (!), so what I did then was copy the URL for the page to a new bookmark in my browser. Mine looks like this, but I wouldn't click on the link because it may be tied to my AVSim account:

https://www.avsim.com/discover/unread/?&stream_classes[IPS\forums\Topic]=1&stream_containers[IPS\forums\Topic]=120,514,513,262,121,436,657,764,438,335,336,337,439,440,757,731,590,348,327,326,328,329,796,136,351,432,520,772,713,171,471,229,561,467,133,780,152,255,122,123,124,204,126

We need Elaine Dixon to write a tutorial on how to do this. :smile:

Oh and BTW  the smile emoji can be entered by typing the word "smile" in the emoji popup box. It's just not one of the few emojis shown in the default graphic.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Gregg and Jay for the help!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Wheyhey! That's very nearly the same thing as in the old forum. Just needed to dig a bit deeper. Well done Jay!

Now let's see if the smiley works...

:smile: Tada!

• Upvote 1

The smileys are not pretty. That's definitely on my to do. 

13 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Wheyhey! That's very nearly the same thing as in the old forum. Just needed to dig a bit deeper. Well done Jay!

Now let's see if the smiley works...

:smile: Tada!

I went to the Invision website and read the manual about the software.

• Upvote 1

Valiant effort Jay but can I have my coconut back? I still see PMDG, ChasePlane and XPlane posts. None of the forums I disabled are still disabled. :sad:  Not that it matters that much in the broad scheme of things. Thanks for trying.

Got a smiley out of it though. :smile:

The problem is that the stream is not persistent and one has to always start by clicking on the bookmark in one's browser so that the activity stream is only confined to those number forums. You realize that this only works for the modified unread activity stream, right? Once you click the Unread link, you are back to the default unread stream. So to avoid that, one has to always read a topic and then use the back button to get back to the URL of the modified stream.

Why the forum software doesn't save the personalized stream is a question for Chase. It could be an artifact of which browser is used.

Stream? Stream? What the heck is Stream? What happened to forums? You read something-you answered-you got banned! Simples. :unsure: