Sign in to follow this  

Hi All

Well it looks like my graphics card has died 😩 All was fine earlier tonight, mid flight on fsx my system completely froze (sound as well) with a white screen and wouldn't reboot beyond the starting windows 7 screen, it just hung on a black screen. 

Unplugged my GTX 670 and it booted fine. So it would seem the card has given up and I will need a new one.

For now I don't plan on upgrading other components so a top of the range nvidia card is probably not worth the outlay. I am running an i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2ghz and 8gb of RAM. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced nvidia card for this system??

I'm running a similar setup and just changed to the EVGA GTX1060 (6mb memory) with a single fan.  It's a compact card and I've been very pleased with the upgrade in performance. 

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

15 minutes ago, mrlip said:

Hi All

Well it looks like my graphics card has died 😩 All was fine earlier tonight, mid flight on fsx my system completely froze (sound as well) with a white screen and wouldn't reboot beyond the starting windows 7 screen, it just hung on a black screen. 

Unplugged my GTX 670 and it booted fine. So it would seem the card has given up and I will need a new one.

For now I don't plan on upgrading other components so a top of the range nvidia card is probably not worth the outlay. I am running an i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2ghz and 8gb of RAM. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced nvidia card for this system??

Have you tried removing your 670 and reseating it, I say this as I build my own PC`s and have had random shutdown's some years ago and pulled the GPU / soundcard and memory from the motherboard and reseated them and it solved the problem, likely what they call in electronics a dry joint bad connection.    

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, Bluestar said:

I'm running a similar setup and just changed to the EVGA GTX1060 (6mb memory) with a single fan.  It's a compact card and I've been very pleased with the upgrade in performance. 

blaustern

Thanks Bluestar, will take a look at that. Am I pretty safe with any of the 10xx series? Is this much difference between 1050 and 1060?

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Have you tried removing your 670 and reseating it, I say this as I build my own PC`s and have had random shutdown's some years ago and pulled the GPU / soundcard and memory from the motherboard and reseated them and it solved the problem, likely what they call in electronics a dry joint bad connection.    

Yes tried that a few times and still nothing. I've uninstalled the Nvidia drivers just in case it was a software issue but now my BIOS wont even detect that card at all, it just thinks the PCI-E slot is empty. I am just hoping the PCI-E slot itself isn't broken!

Hello,
I do not know about 1050Ti but I just upgraded from GTX 1060 6GB to 1080. The GTX 1060 is a very good graphic card. I am using 1440x900 monitor and it performs good overall.

Still, largely depends on your budget.

Cheers,
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5