Sign in to follow this  
Dane Watson

FSX Problem When Minimized

15 hours ago, airernie said:

Windowed is all I ever use and it probably happens every couple of weeks or so.

Fortunately in my case it usually happens during the loading sequence, so it doesn't interrupt my flight.

Ernie, that's when it happens to me as well - just as the loading process is completing

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

23 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Can you please post your system specs?

You didn't mention it, but are you running in the Full Screen or Windowed Mode?  I remember this issue with Windows 7 in Full Screen, but I've never seen it using the Windowed Mode under Windows 7 and Windows 10.  Due to working development and Beta Testing many products, I averaged 4 to 8 full flights (2 or 3 hours) per week for about 12 years and as I said I've never seen this in Windowed Mode.

Running FSX in the Windowed Mode is highly recommended, and there is a tweak to get rid of most if not all of the surrounding border.

If you're having this in the Windowed Mode, here are a few things to try: - WINDOWED MODE

- Update your graphics drivers.- LATEST NVIDIA DRIVERS

- Ensure you're running FSX "As Admin". ALWAYS RUN IN ADMIN MODE

- Ensure you have the HIGHMEMFIX=1 in your FSX.CFG file. YES TO HIGHMEMFIX=1

- Chage your Sound LOD to 1 in your FSX.CFG. SOUND_LOD=1 ALREADY IN PLACE

- Monitor you Frame Rate just before minimizing and see if it's in the single digits. If so, you probably need to groom your system/simulator and/or reduce graphic settings. MY FPS IS ALWAYS BETWEEN 30 AND OVER 100 DEPENDING ON THE AIRPORT SCENERY

- You might also try using Alt-Enter to see if that works for you.

Thanks Dave for your reply.

See above (your post) for my responses to your questions/suggestions. Also, by the way as Ernie mentioned in a recent post, it only seems to happen just as the Fly Now is loading the flight.

Yes, I should have posted my specs:

MSI GP62 6QF, Windows 10, 64bit, i7 6700HQ (8 CPU's), 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960M.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

Ah, I see you're running on a laptop (4 core).  Your running on the laptop with an integrated graphics card is likely the reason you're suffering this problem.  FSX/P3D are notorious for not running well on laptops unless it's a rig that has an actual graphics card rather than an integrated card (chip).  As I mentioned before, I've never seen this issue reported in Windows mode (on desktops systems).

I recommend you try using "Pause on Task" switch setting or otherwise pausing your flight before minimizing your screen in order to reduce the re-rendering that is done when you maximize the display.  If that doesn't work or is not something you're keen on doing then you might try reducing your graphics settings to see if that helps.  Probably what is needed is a second monitor so that you don't have to minimize your display.

Thinking on this, you might also try disabling Hyperthreading and running on your 4 physical cores.  This may help more than the advice I've given above!

My very best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 4/3/2017 at 11:59 PM, Jean-Claude said:

Dane, I too had this problem - using fullscreen mode with Windows 10 (and 7 prior to that) -, but found that Alt+Ent, eventually having to repeat it, would do the job each time rather than using the "Maximise" command which would never work.

Now Dave, you raised an interesting point given your IT background, without hijacking Dane's topic, could you shed some light on the benefits of using Windowed mode, I read several threads here and elsewhere regarding this and realised that opinions were about 50/50, no clear advantage (I for one could not see any but I am no IT guru...)

Many thanks and good luck Dane.

I'd have been happy to, but Steve got to it first and did a great job (he's likely better qualified that I am in this area).

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

On 4/3/2017 at 7:08 AM, airernie said:

the best solution was to open Process Explorer, right click on  FSX, select 'Window' then 'maximize'.

I'm all of a sudden having this issue where FSX loads Minimized 90% of the time, rather annoying.

The above solution works but has ANYONE ever been able to track down why this happens?

I recently installed GSX and wonder if it has something to do with that?

It can also be caused by FSX failing to close fully and that can leave certain settings broken. Do the ALT+ENTER routine and also check addons and dlls for proper operation when exiting the sim.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com