rlashier

Fatal Error Starting FSX

After months of using Boxed FSX/Acceleration without problems, I was greeted today with a fatal error message on start-up of FSX. On my system, FSX runs (or used to) on Windows 7/64 bit.

I went to the Events log on the Administrative menu of Control Panel, and found out this information on the fatal error:

Faulting application:  fsx.exe

Faulting module:  ui.dll       version 10.0.61637.0

Exception Code:   0xc0000005

Faulting Offset:    0x003c963

Faulting process id:    0xlae0

After checking reports of similar errors on Google, I tried several suggested fixes, to no avail:

1. Installed a file named "uiautomationcore.dll" to my main FSX directory,

2. Right clicked on fsx.exe, and with properties menu, selected compatibility mode for Microsoft XP, SP2,

3. Deleted my fsx.cfg file so FSX would build a new one.

None of these suggestions improved matters, so I'm at an impasse.

Hoping there's a fairly simple fix that will avoid the nastiness of having to reinstall FSX and all my add-ons.

Any suggestions?  Grateful for any help with this,

Rich

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

40 minutes ago, rlashier said:

Installed a file named "uiautomationcore.dll" to my main FSX directory,

Which version?  The uiautomationcore.dll fix only fixes menu crashes.  Nothing else.  I would recommend you remove it from your main fsx directory as it did not fix your problem and it is not associated with the issue you are having - "fatal error starting FSX".

When you start up FSX, all of the modules in your dll.xml and exe.xml are loaded.  So, most likely a module in your dll.xml is out of date or corrupted and not allowing fsx to load.  If you rename the dll.xml to dll.orig and restart FSX, does it now load?  If so, there is a problem with the dll.xml.  On page 13, it shows you how to disable the modules in your dll.xml so that you can begin the investigative process of determining which module is not working properly.  I would start with the fsuipc.dll if you have that utility installed.

47 minutes ago, rlashier said:

Right clicked on fsx.exe, and with properties menu, selected compatibility mode for Microsoft XP, SP2

You should never ever select any compatibility mode setting, especially the one for Microsoft XP Operating System.  Did you know FSX was developed with Microsoft Vista which was almost immediately upgraded to Windows 7?  I do recommend that you make sure at the bottom of the compatibility tab it shows that FSX will be run in administrative mode for ALL users, not just you. See page 11, AVSIM CTD Guide for more info and an image on what to do.

Recommend reviewing the following link for a possible solution -

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I will try these leads.

Your reply mentions disabling modules in the dll.xml, and mentions p. 13 for instructions. What document is the p. 13 a part of?

Rich

9 hours ago, rlashier said:

Your reply mentions disabling modules in the dll.xml, and mentions p. 13 for instructions. What document is the p. 13 a part of?

Apologize.  Typing before my brain functions.  It's also in the AVSIM CTD Guide (link in my signature).

Best regards,

Jim

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

Apologize.  Typing before my brain functions.  It's also in the AVSIM CTD Guide (link in my signature).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim  cant  remember the  exact wording but if  the  fsx flight log or flight hours log thing  is  corrupted this  would  prevent  fsx  from starting  up  since  long  time ago, might be  a solution?

Good point but believe the logbook.bin, which contains all of your flight sessions, starts up after you leave the setup screen to load a flight.  That's easy to check though as it is in the Document/Flight Simulator Files/logbook.bin.  It can be renamed or moved and FSX will rebuild with the default.  If it is not the fault, then you need to go back and rename it logbook.bin.

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim, Pete and Jim Test for additional tips. I downloaded the CTD guide today, and I'll start with the more common crash causes (xml modules, etc.) when I'm home this evening.

I did try moving the log book file, and also moved FSUIPC4.dll to a temporary folder to see if either the log book or FSUIPC might be the cause. No go.

So far, the error is consistently identified as the ui.dll as the module at fault, but I don't know what that does or how it is implicated with FSX.

Rich

Update -- still encountering fatal error from faulting ui.dll module.

Last night, tried the suggestions under "How to fix most freezes/crashes" heading of the CTD manual. Also tried driver updates, registry cleaner, System File checker, disabled startup programs, etc. No change.

Before resorting to a complete uninstall and reinstall of FSX and add-ons, I will first try a FSX Repair from my Acceleration disk. Could save some grief.

Just wondering, before such a repair, do I need to uninstall or disable scenery applications like GEX and UTX, or will repair not affect these?

Thanks

Just an Acceleration repair will upgrade fsx.exe to SP2 and install the add-ons that come with Acceleration.  It might also replace some default fsx files and upgrade them to SP2 level.  I would recommend you reinstall GEX when you finish with the repair. 

If you renamed or deleted the fsx.cfg, dll.xml, and scenery.cfg (as suggested for "How to Fix Most Freezes/Crashes"), and restarted FSX and let the FSX.cfg and Scenery.cfg rebuild, you are back to the default of FSX/Acceleration.  If it does not start up after that, then you should reinstall Windows and then FSX/Acceleration as something is seriously wrong with your system.

Best regards,

Jim