Dirk98

Best location for ATC install?

If installing ATC (RC4, PF3, PATC/X etc) on the main PC where is a better location for it: on the same SSD with P3D or on OS SSD?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

20 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

If installing ATC (RC4, PF3, PATC/X etc) on the main PC where is a better location for it: on the same SSD with P3D or on OS SSD?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Hi,

I would recommend to stay away from Local Disk C (where most of us install OS into). Same or different SSD/HDD doesn't matter.

I have a 240GB SSD with Win10 and Window softwares only. A different 480GB to install everything related to simulator which I though it would be more than enough, time proves me wrong.

Hoang Le

3 minutes ago, Hoang said:

Hi,

I would recommend to stay away from Local Disk C (where most of us install OS into). Same or different SSD/HDD doesn't matter.

Hoang Le

Is it still valid even if I'm not going to install ATC to any of the problematic 'closed' Windows folders, like Program Files etc. but just on C:\ ?

My concern is rather about OS and hardware simultaneous access to different locations on the same SSD (with P3D) or 2 different ones, I'm not sure which way is less stressful overhead-wise.

Thanks,

Dirk.

The best place is on another PC and then use WideFS (commercial software by Pete Dowson) to link to P3D.

The second PC can be anything as the processing is minimal. Enunciation will be smoother too as it's not competing with P3D for resources.

RC4 can be run this way, not sure about the others.

Sure, Ray, after 11+ years of RC4 upgrade, first time asking how to run it on the main PC for my MCE test purposes.

Dirk.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:58 PM, Dirk98 said:

Is it still valid even if I'm not going to install ATC to any of the problematic 'closed' Windows folders, like Program Files etc. but just on C:\ ?

My concern is rather about OS and hardware simultaneous access to different locations on the same SSD (with P3D) or 2 different ones, I'm not sure which way is less stressful overhead-wise.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Hi,
I believed it has to do with the security settings in your Window. If your security setting is the same as other drive then you should be good.
I do not think there will be any difference if you install it in C:\ or D:\ , the limitation that we have to deal nowadays pretty much from inside the simulator, computer hardware are too good for it now.

I setup exclusion in my anti-virus for P3D drive so I want to put all in one place to manage easily.

Hoang Le

41 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The best place is on another PC and then use WideFS (commercial software by Pete Dowson) to link to P3D.

The second PC can be anything as the processing is minimal. Enunciation will be smoother too as it's not competing with P3D for resources.

RC4 can be run this way, not sure about the others.

PF3 can be run from anywhere. I have mine on Drive E:\ and my sim is on Drive F:\

6 minutes ago, vololiberista said:

PF3 can be run from anywhere. I have mine on Drive E:\ and my sim is on Drive F:\

The original question was if I were to install RC4 (or PF3 of course) on the same PC where P3D was what would be a better location performance-wise (both are SSDs).

Thanks,

Dirk.

Well you can either run your sim and ATC programme from the same drive or different drives. It's up to you. How it affects performance depends on your configuration and whetehr your disks are full or not more than two thirds.

1 minute ago, vololiberista said:

depends on your configuration.

Like what, could you give an example? Both disks are SSDs here.

Nothing really important with it, just curious, what would be a recommendation these days with the current hardware?

Thanks,

8 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Like what, could you give an example? Both disks are SSDs here.

Nothing really important with it, just curious, what would be a recommendation these days with the current hardware?

Thanks,

Experiment. Try one way and the other. I doubt whether you will see any noticeable difference. With PF3 make sure you follow the deactivation instructions.

1 minute ago, vololiberista said:

Experiment. Try one way and the other. I doubt whether you will see any noticeable difference. With PF3 make sure you follow the deactivation instructions.

No, I'm not going to install PF3 on my main PC. I'm just playing now with MCE and RC4 interaction on the main PC (as the current MCE build does not work with RC4 on WideClient) for the learning purposes only.

And I'm anxiously wating for all current MCE/PF3 issues to be resolved.

Thanks,

Dirk.