Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

20 years on and Prime Meridian problem still exists

I've been doing some performance test flights in and out of EGLC in FSX:SE and I haven't noticed this. With boxed FSX, though, I used to notice something similar to what you describe just south of Friday Harbour. Orbx Israel's Farm also had me tearing my hair out with regard to performance, until I realised it was on the same line of latitude as where I was experiencing the KFHR problem.

If it were the Meridian then you would see the problem anywhere along it. The PM just happens to be nearby, like Clacton.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

8 hours ago, SteveW said:

If it were the Meridian then you would see the problem anywhere along it. The PM just happens to be nearby, like Clacton.

Steve, Clacton is 1° 15" east of the meridian. Nowhere near it. :wink: Gatwick is much closer but as I said in my original post the stutters only occurred as I passed over the 0 longitude. A few seconds of longitude either side and things were fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you're departing Southend and heading east then you're nowhere near the prime meridian. Check an atlas.

I cannot know how far from it such a negative performance impact can be felt. I know where the PM is located but don't know how far the above described issue can be noticed in the sim.

I found many posts on the same issue, the stuttering near Clacton (CLN) VOR. Even when on the ground in SEN it causes stuttering with either default or add-on scenery.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

12 minutes ago, kityatyi said:

I cannot know how far from it such a negative performance impact can be felt. I know where the PM is located but don't know how far the above described issue can be noticed in the sim.

I found many posts on the same issue, the stuttering near Clacton (CLN) VOR. Even when on the ground in SEN it causes stuttering with either default or add-on scenery.

If you have problems around Clacton then it's nothing to do with the prime meridian problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:07 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Steve, Clacton is 1° 15" east of the meridian. Nowhere near it. :wink: Gatwick is much closer but as I said in my original post the stutters only occurred as I passed over the 0 longitude. A few seconds of longitude either side and things were fine.

You need to read me more carefully Ray, I'm saying the player was near Clacton. :laugh:

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you have problems around Clacton then it's nothing to do with the prime meridian problem.

I can understand that some might think the PM could perhaps be involved in some kind of maths error. The locations on the earth are not worked out like that there's no worry, think of your starting position is always at 0. What about possibly the opposite to the PM, the AM might pose a problem, well not with the locating of lat/lon as I said, but there are some parts of the sim that are programmatically concerned with the antemeridian, the 'reality bubble' for example. But that's the AM. I said Ray that you may as well pick any random place like Clacton to call into suspicion just as easily as the PM.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

You need to read me more carefully Ray, I'm saying the player was near Clacton. :laugh:

I don't understand that statement Steve. Who or what is the player?

I can't add any more to this than what I have already said. Slewing westwards from EGLC at 240kts caused significant stutters as I passed over the Prime Meridian. I was able to reproduce it with ease. I haven't tested it anywhere else along the PM.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don't understand that statement Steve. Who or what is the player?

Haha, the "player" Ray, the guy on the joystick.

5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I can't add any more to this than what I have already said. Slewing westwards from EGLC at 240kts caused significant stutters as I passed over the Prime Meridian. I was able to reproduce it with ease. I haven't tested it anywhere else along the PM.

I tried the same tests along the PM from north to south (not near Clacton LOL) and could not find anything to substantiate:

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

the prime meridian problem

I would look for something else.

...and I don't mean look at another line of longitude Ray, I am saying look at some other means to cause the stutter perhaps an airport in the vicinity or AI traffic starting up as your reality bubble encroaches on the area.

To be fair; the Player is that location in the sim representing the position of the user aircraft. The Reality bubble is a radius around the player within which all the action takes place but not all the calculation.

8 hours ago, SteveW said:

...and I don't mean look at another line of longitude Ray, I am saying look at some other means to cause the stutter perhaps an airport in the vicinity or AI traffic starting up as your reality bubble encroaches on the area.

Thanks for the clarification of player Steve. Regarding this stuttering I haven't tested for it at any other place close to the PM. It just so happens EGLC is very close to it and I only came across it whilst testing for the ideal Affinity Mask setting with a slewing test towards EGLL..

The simple fact we had this stuttering 20 years ago in another version of FS proves it's not an issue with my PC or my settings. We didn't have Ai traffic 20 years ago but still had the stuttering as the meridian was crossed. I recall having a conversation with Pete Dowson at the time and he concurred it was probably the loading of BGLs.

Time to draw a line under this I think.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Time to draw a line under this I think.

No chance. I would like some clear evidence of this imaginary problem.

I have monitored flights zigzagging all the way up and down the PM from various distances out and computationally monitored the sim condition and recorded the results - no stutter found around the PM.

8 minutes ago, SteveW said:

No chance. I would like some clear evidence of this imaginary problem.

I have monitored flights zigzagging all the way up and down the PM from various distances out and computationally monitored the sim condition and recorded the results - no stutter found around the PM.

Since I have no way of recording a video you're just going to have to take my word for it.  And it's not imaginary. :tongue: Try my test in post 1.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Since I have no way of recording a video you're just going to have to take my word for it.  And it's not imaginary. :tongue: Try my test in post 1.

Ray, that's where we started and so far I've spent much time trying to find your problem - there's none in the stock sim.