zmak

Stand alone subwoofer

I have am excellent steel series head set but I would like to add a subwoofer speaker for when I fly thump thump piston props. 

Can I just add a subwoofer on its own or do I need to buy the speakers as well? 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

One can certainly buy/run a sub-woofer on its own.  It's the amp/preamp that would determine if you can hook it up.  I had a 12" huge sub that I would connect to a Souncraftsman 400watt amp/preamp!  But these head-knocking days are over. I now have a nice Logitech THX system.  Two satellites and a 8" sub that works great for flying.

You might want to consider a Buttkicker if you want to "feel" the thump thump of the piston.  I have three hooked up so now I can have the volume down low but can still feel the vibrations throughout my body.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:36 AM, Venturi said:

I have am excellent steel series head set but I would like to add a subwoofer speaker for when I fly thump thump piston props. 

Can I just add a subwoofer on its own or do I need to buy the speakers as well? 

In my opinion, the best thing along those lines for props is a Buttkicker.  It picks up all the various vibrations right in sync.  I've used one for six years in combo with a headset and it's great.  With OPUS' Buttkicker subprogram, you can even refine the vibrations to be different for landing gear, brakes, flaps, etc.

• Upvote 1

Yes of course, butt kicker! Forgot about it. Thanks guys 

Unfortunately  BK Is hard to to find in Thailand where I live 

Just a general question, can all of the sound come through the headphones and through the speakers at the same time?