FlightSim1234

Where is my next ATC contact?

This would particularly help on flights across areas such as the Atlantic, where there may be hours of radio silence - I was wondering whether there is any way to determine when ATC will hand me over to another frequency, is there any way of measuring distance to the next ATC center? 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, FlgihtSim123 said:

This would particularly help on flights across areas such as the Atlantic, where there may be hours of radio silence - I was wondering whether there is any way to determine when ATC will hand me over to another frequency, is there any way of measuring distance to the next ATC center? 

Basically, Gander ACC (ZQX) ACC controls the western half of the Atlantic eastward to 30 deg West; Shanwick ACC controls east of 30 deg West. The FIRs (Flight Information Regions) are depicted on North Atlantic plotting charts and probably a number of other places. South of 45 North is generally controlled by New York (ZNY) and Santa Maria (I forget the code). These are just the basics; it gets more complicated than this with ongoing tech improvements with Datalink and Enhanced Surveillance initiatives. 

You can see the airspace boundaries on the FSX map It's the button to the right of the button with a J on it (For Jetways). The boundaries will appear as blue lines on the map. You should get freq changes as you cross them.