Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Passing through a tile generating frenzy,...seems new data compiling...

1 hour ago, jettlagg said:

How long does it take the simulator to start up with all that scenery?

On my system, to the time from being plopped down at your airport property, to the time your max FPS range is once more achieved, about 4.5 minutes. What I do, is merely see that I have arrived at the airport, and then leave the computer for that amount of time and do something with those 4.5 minutes. When I get back...FPS are right up there in the high 30's once more.

34 minutes ago, N1G said:

10-4 on the z19 size. 

You mentioned above the z19 around airports and that there were 2 entries for that. 

Are those entries cover_airports_with_high_rez and below that is cover_zl (distance in km). Just checking because you did not mention the exact entry.

Thanks Bob

Yes, Bob...you'd set the z=19 and the KM's to whatever you like 2, 3, 4, 5

So mine looks like this;

z=19

cover_extent=2

Then press Save inside your editor.

One more thing, Bob...I suggest that as soon as you create a tile, or BATCH of tiles, is that you use Step 3 again...as I have found many, many instances, where not all the photo files necessary for that complete tile was indeed downloaded and converted in the primary, first to create, pass.  On my second pass...I've seen tiles that downloaded 2, 5, 16, even 40 or 50 NEW files that did NOT download on the first pass.  Sometimes you will get an XP11 error window, that says it can not load your scenery, because of x- texture file not found.  Yep...and I can tell you why it's missing...and then XP CTD's.   If that happens, go into Ortho4XP and figure out the tile (by the airport and location) you were trying to load into, and completely run all the steps, from 1-3, and then re-overlay the tile.  That will do the trick, the next time you try to load into that area, or specific airfield/airport.

I think it is a result of a very impacted sat server, at times,  and those non-downloaded files are like packets of data lost in a VOIP transmission that occasionally happens due to internet node bandwidth......to try an analogy.

• Upvote 1

Your Awesome Mitch, Thanks for your time !

Just now, N1G said:

Your Awesome Mitch, Thanks for your time !

You're most welcome..and oh..you might want to re-read the last two or three posts on this thread from myself, as I have just edited with  "oh..BTW, content..".

Cheers,

Bob...being that I am re-cutting all my Complex and Inland Water Masks for my tiles in the background as I am typing right now......let me give you an example of what I typed about in the above..

One re-cut tile just sniffed and grabbed 9...yes....9 surrounding tiles, to form its own Mask, and then blur for surrounding neighbor tiles.  Now what if I was just starting my tile collection and only had three tiles near the next one I was creating? Well..it would only have 3 other tiles to sniff from,and would make its own Mask, with ONLY that information of neighbors, that physically was/were there at that time.  If you did not re-cut, you would lose tremendous data potential, as I have demonstrated, my last re-cut tile, being that is resides in a huge block of tiles for the Eastern Seaboard...has just sniffed out nine other tiles's mask information,  to then blend in with its own unique masking requirements.  

Let me tell ya...the visuals garnered and generated when XP11 hits the stage.... are all worth this extra methodology. Oh yeah....

Post Edit: One more thing that I think needs total clarification, is that when you re-do (re-cut a tile) Step 3, ONLY the missing files get downloaded as Ortho4XP re-parses the matrix of that tile, and you will see messages such as xxxx texture is already present...yes...it is...for it is there in that tile data already. and will not be needed to re-download, using time and account bandwidth. Only the MISSING .jpg photos, that then get converted to a texture,.... that did not get properly downloaded on the primary pass creation will be downloaded, converted, and installed in the tile.  So...no loss of time, or cost.  They needed to be there in the first place to make a viable tile that will load in with no XP10 or 11 nag/data error windows andthen the dreaded; CTD's....

Mitch

39 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

On my system, to the time from being plopped down at your airport property, to the time your max FPS range is once more achieved, about 4.5 minutes. What I do, is merely see that I have arrived at the airport, and then leave the computer for that amount of time and do something with those 4.5 minutes. When I get back...FPS are right up there in the high 30's once more.

Ahh ok. Sounds right. I'm downloading some tiles as we speak. Easy peasy after you do it a few times :)

Thanks Mitch, sounds good, will re-read. At my age I cannot get much done after dinner as I get tired, so this will have to wait till tomorrow. I just don't know how I got over the hill, because I never really reached the top :laugh: Talk to you soon and thanks again.

Bob

1 minute ago, jettlagg said:

Ahh ok. Sounds right. I'm downloading some tiles as we speak. Easy peasy after you do it a few times :)

Yep...and may I suggest that when you have a really good 'block' of tiles, such as you have created ortho for an entire state or country in Europe, I suggest you re-cut all your Complex Masks, to benefit from the resource mask pool, you have created in those mass tiles... :)  It's worth the effort...in how scenery is loaded, from one tile to the next as you progress over them, in flight.

59 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yep...and may I suggest that when you have a really good 'block' of tiles, such as you have created ortho for an entire state or country in Europe, I suggest you re-cut all your Complex Masks, to benefit from the resource mask pool, you have created in those mass tiles... :)  It's worth the effort...in how scenery is loaded, from one tile to the next as you progress over them, in flight.

Nice. I will do that for sure. Glad a got a dedicated hard drive just for this stuff.

6 hours ago, Kuragiman said:

If you are an airline pilot and not a GA pilot I recommend covering the entire country you are working on in ZL16 then go back to the airports you fly to and run step 3:Build Tile again after you select a custom zoom level of 19 and cover the airport in it

Could you detail how this can be done.  I can only select the tile that has a city (and airport) in it, and then build with z19 for the entire tile, how do you zoom into a smaller tile within this tile?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

2 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

Could you detail how this can be done.  I can only select the tile that has a city (and airport) in it, and then build with z19 for the entire tile, how do you zoom into a smaller tile within this tile?

If you are batching large groups of tiles then select ZL16 and run the batch.   Once you are done go to the Earth Tile Map and double click on a tile that you want to add ZL19 too.   Once selected it will be highlighted in yellow.   Exit out of the Earth Map Tile screen and then at the top of your Ortho menu on the left click the Custom Zoom Level button.   This will bring up a Tile screen asking you to select your source.   Choose your source ie Bing/Google/Arc/.    Make this source what ever source you used to generate the ZL16 tile.     Under that choose the Zoom level of the preview tile.  I usually pick 12 because it looks pretty quick and is zoomed in enough so I can see the airport I want to cover in ZL19 tiles.

Once it is done loading you will see a preview screen of the tile you are working with.   Select the ZL19 button (It is BRIGHT RED). Find your airport and then while holding down the Left Control key, left click on every tile that includes the airport you want to turn into ZL19.   Red boxes will appear showing you the ZL19 tiles it is going to generate.   Once you have covered the entire airport in red selection boxes click the SAVE AND EXIT button on the left side menu.

This will bring you back to the man Ortho menu.   Go down to Step 3: Build Tile and click it.    In the verbose log window you will see it start to scan your ortho tiles and once it reaches the ZL19 area you selected you will notice it start to download those new ZL19 tiles.    When it is done congrats, you now have a ZL16 global tile with a ZL19 airport on top of it.

===================================================================

If you are just doing ONE tile at a time or have already batched tiles and just want to go back over them and turn your airport area in ZL19 then skip running a batch and just select the tile you want to work with on the Earth Tile Map and follow the rest of the instructions.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Another 'user tip'....XP11 will try to load in three or four tiles surrounding, the tile that your airport of choice is located in. If you ever get a message, 'could not find texture (xxxxxxx), or your scenery could be damaged, blah, blah,  if XP10 or 11 CTD...then go into the log file and read which Ortho tile XP tried to read, and what texture file was not found.  Then you only have to make note of that tile, and then yellow highlight it in Ortho4XP, and re-cut the tile. That should download the missing texture that for whatever reason was not downloaded the first time, when you created the tile, originally.

The log file...is your friend.... :)

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Kuragiman said:

If you are just doing ONE tile at a time or have already batched tiles and just want to go back over them and turn your airport area in ZL19 then skip running a batch and just select the tile you want to work with on the Earth Tile Map and follow the rest of the instructions.

Thanks.  I will also see if I can try doing batch tiles, I have been doing one at time, have not tried batch yet.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

On 5/29/2017 at 8:32 PM, Anxu00 said:

Thanks.  I will also see if I can try doing batch tiles, I have been doing one at time, have not tried batch yet.

BTW, if you generate with BI(ng), upper state New York, Finger Lakes, or around let's say Albany, you will get a 'season' thrown in....Autumn. The sat captured forestry has beautiful Fall colors, reds, russets, gold in the tree canopies, and the same area generated with GO2, will give you verdant green Spring sat captures.  I am logging this side-perk, as I go, and so, if I want Spring anywhere, I use GO2, if I want Fall, I sample one tile generated with BI(ng) and see what Season, those shots of area x was captured at. You sort of can then have beautiful Spring, Summer, or Fall (no Winter found yet...not that I want it) in any region, if you search out sources that took sky-grabs at that time of year. It's a 'back-door' undocumented way, to get the three seasons mentioned inside XP10 or 11. So far, I have captured States that I wanted at Spring, Summer, and Fall. It's way cool. To show you that even on one source, you can have different times of the year for sat picture capture...on BI(ng), Michigan was captured in the Summer, so my Michigan, anywhere converted with BI(ng) is Summer. I did then go to GO2, and re-cut the U.P. to verdant, lush, green, Spring, and got that as well.  Found that you absolutely mix and match sources, even tile, shoulder-to-shoulder, and this will not crash XP 10 or 11!!!

So, when I fly over the entire State of New York, it is the Fall, and in Michigan, part's I wanted, the verdant Spring...with the rest as Summer textures. It has been a hoot, nailing this side-perk down!  With patience, can get the 'season' that I want, and where I want...by the fox 'n hound, method....and a pot of coffee in the background, LOL!

Cheers,

Why I didn't get into ortho scenery like two years ago, beat's me!  I'm having a supercalifragilisticexpialoudocious experience, that would do Mary Poppins, right proud!:biggrin:

Ses

Mitch, I need some help. I have a good tile but not sure what to do for overlays.

When I point to the default scenery I get all the objects. What I mean is that when I took my flight everything was overwritten by the autogen for the most part and it ended up looking like default generated scenery. Not sure if you do exclusions or what. Maybe just the roads. I just need to understand how this works. I looked at your images and I do see some autogen buildings but most of the photo buildings seem to still be in place.  And yes the overlay file is above the scenery.

Bob