Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Passing through a tile generating frenzy,...seems new data compiling...

55 minutes ago, N1G said:

Mitch, I need some help. I have a good tile but not sure what to do for overlays.

When I point to the default scenery I get all the objects. What I mean is that when I took my flight everything was overwritten by the autogen for the most part and it ended up looking like default generated scenery. Not sure if you do exclusions or what. Maybe just the roads. I just need to understand how this works. I looked at your images and I do see some autogen buildings but most of the photo buildings seem to still be in place.  And yes the overlay file is above the scenery.

Bob

Bob, that's how it should be.  Where there is XP11 data autogen through OSM, it will place UPON that x/y location onto your scenery through overlay. Where there is no OSM and therefore autogen, you will see what the satellite took, as picture capture. I think actually it looks fantastic!  I see farms, out buildings, Bob..as they REALLY are...that is the magic of what is happening here. You have the best of both worlds. You have accurate, real-life visuals..of what is there in the real world, AND, you get accurate 3D models placed upon the landscape where they truly are...as a visual bonus.  I flew over Greater Detroit, and could not believe all the 3D churches that I KNOW are at such and such a location, but not only are they there...but (dang!) the auto-gen church building is even accurate (WTH!)  Some are suburban small stature 3D buildings, and others that in fact, ARE cathedral in stature, ARE also cathedral as a 3D church object. 

Bob...it does NOT get any better, or more realistic than this.  Orbx, can not produce this, via their current Global, and Vector products.  To have a tool that generates from real-world VERITUS imagery...and then creates that imagery for use within XP11, is brain-numbing....and I fly over it now on each flight.  WOW...and WOW!

Bob, if you want to see thousands of 3D homes in miles upon miles of suburban sprawl....then create a tile on the map that takes in Detroit....use z17/19...and then go fly over Detroit WITH XP11 (I don't care what FPS your system will run with...( this is not an issue for this 3D fest example) this is for a visual of the potential of what can be there...) cranked at MAX texture, and MAX world objects. Then...you will see what I think you are expecting...but remember, my shots were over rural properties...and so the 2D farms...buildings are way more visually accurate, than if they were overlayed with some OSM library object. But...you want to see 3D?!?!?!?   

Get ready to faint....the G.D.A...(Greater Detroit Area)...at full ortho, full XP11 texture and world object splendor...miles...upon miles...upon even more miles...out to the horizon of urban congestion and sprawl. You'll see it...you'll faithfully will see the 3D urban jungle...

On my next flight, I will capture a central Detroit fly-over...and with my usual baked-in full XP11 texture and World Object settings...and I have to tell ya...your jaw drops. I'll post it in a few moments to this thread, to show you the comparison of Urban vs Rural depiction 2D/3D hybrid union.

I think you are seeing what is to be seen, you get great hybrid blending of 2D and 3D content, where either/or actually are in the real world. Enjoy!

Mitch 

OK, I took a closer look. I flew around to check out the detail and then removed the ortho and went back to the normal xp11 scenery and OMG what a difference. I thought with the Ortho that  I was going to be able to see the  house I grew up in, but instead there was an Autogen house there instead. I always thought that you just looked at the generated photo scenery with autogen roads and trees and a few buildings. I get it now. The whole area is loaded beyond believe. Very nice. Now I just need to learn the z19 around the airports and whatever custom stuff needs to be done. 

Thanks

Bob

1 hour ago, N1G said:

OK, I took a closer look. I flew around to check out the detail and then removed the ortho and went back to the normal xp11 scenery and OMG what a difference. I thought with the Ortho that  I was going to be able to see the  house I grew up in, but instead there was an Autogen house there instead. I always thought that you just looked at the generated photo scenery with autogen roads and trees and a few buildings. I get it now. The whole area is loaded beyond believe. Very nice. Now I just need to learn the z19 around the airports and whatever custom stuff needs to be done. 

Thanks

Bob

There you go!

BTW, if you take the yOverlay Folder out of your Custom Scenery Folder, you will in fact...see your house footprint, but of course, 2D. It will be there, though.  Taking out the yOverlay Folder, gives you only your generated tile...and I have to tell you...at z17/19 it looks really good, just by itself...with no overlay.  Try it...and you'll see your house, Bob. XP11 will squawk at you about not being to display overlays...but it should not crash...just as it said, you will see what the entire tile looks like, with no 3D content added...no roads, BUT...there will be all the roads IN, the 2D environment.  That is what is fun...you DO get all the 'roads' but no traffic of course upon them. You probably at z17 will see that your grass needs cutting, your BBQ needs the tarp put back on...and oh...your dog is again, in the neighbor's flowers...tsk, tsk....very clear and clean graphics, lol!

Here's a 'heavy' investment, lol.....of  autogen for Detroit, just north of the Down Town..:

Those are ALL 3D buildings sitting on top of the generated Ortho....

Cessna_172_SP_6.png

Cessna_172_SP_7.png

Cessna_172_SP_8.png

and here's Toronto...all 3D over the Ortho...as far as the eye can see to the horizon!

Cessna_172_SP_10.png

35 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Hey Bob...bump...

Wow, nice pics Mitch and it is so populated with rich 3d objects. I was looking at a freeware product called USA West Real Life that was tailored for the western states that gives you the following business buildings that works with w2xp:

Fastfood restarants galore including In-n-Out Burger

Parking garages and lots filled with lots of vehicle makes

Gas stations, gas canopies, mini-marts, car wash

Starbucks, Costco, Whole Foods, Home Depot, mini-mall stores, sprawling malls complexes

Very small to large ranch style homes, swimming pools, Row homes in San Francisco, town houses, apartment/condo complexes, apartment buildings, apartment skyscrapers

Power substations, wastetreatment plants, water towers, wind turbines, construction zones, quarys

Lighted navigational beacons, buoys, lighthouses, piers

Dedicated facades and objects for Hotels, Universities, Schools, Hospitals, Government, Banks, Retail, Commercial, Industrial, parks

Very nice. Maybe the author will tailor it for O4XP.  Yep, I am convinced thanks to you. Just need to get more hard drive space.  And yes I did remove the overlay and found my house!

Bob

11 hours ago, N1G said:

Wow, nice pics Mitch and it is so populated with rich 3d objects. I was looking at a freeware product called USA West Real Life that was tailored for the western states that gives you the following business buildings that works with w2xp:

Fastfood restarants galore including In-n-Out Burger

Parking garages and lots filled with lots of vehicle makes

Gas stations, gas canopies, mini-marts, car wash

Starbucks, Costco, Whole Foods, Home Depot, mini-mall stores, sprawling malls complexes

Very small to large ranch style homes, swimming pools, Row homes in San Francisco, town houses, apartment/condo complexes, apartment buildings, apartment skyscrapers

Power substations, wastetreatment plants, water towers, wind turbines, construction zones, quarys

Lighted navigational beacons, buoys, lighthouses, piers

Dedicated facades and objects for Hotels, Universities, Schools, Hospitals, Government, Banks, Retail, Commercial, Industrial, parks

Very nice. Maybe the author will tailor it for O4XP.  Yep, I am convinced thanks to you. Just need to get more hard drive space.  And yes I did remove the overlay and found my house!

Bob

Hi Bob, ...yes I have USA West Real Life in my Scenery folder already. :)

Bob...looks to me, that your wife will be sliding food under your computer room door....for those Ortho Gen all-nighters, LOL!

I found mine(my house) as well....but I do love the cars and highways...the lights...all of it, that the Overlay provides.  I will tell you though...by trial, z16 tiles look best with no overlay at all, and that is how I am going to run them, between my z17/z19 high visual flight zones and flight paths.  Overlays for those, no overlays for any z16 tile   the whole U.S. of A. will eventually look spectacular. 

BTW, Bob from my lurking on the P3D forum...and the comments of usage so far with v4.0...I am now not at all in a hurry. I'm going to enjoy XP11, P3D 3.4, and AF2 (with the soon-to-be-released Orbx goodies).

I'm still going to pick up P3D v4.0, but ONLY after it has gone through at least three update-revisions, and by that time, most of my Orbx library will be workable within. That's the battle plan on that front. :)

Mitch

This has been a very informative thread.  I've archived it as I'm sure even more of it will be useful once I try this myself. But, I haven't ever looked into ortho and know nothing. Can you tell me which of the many guides is best for getting started?  Most up to date how to out there that starts at the beginning?

12 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Hi Bob, ...yes I have USA West Real Life in my Scenery folder already. :)

Bob...looks to me, that your wife will be sliding food under your computer room door....for those Ortho Gen all-nighters, LOL!

I found mine(my house) as well....but I do love the cars and highways...the lights...all of it, that the Overlay provides.  I will tell you though...by trial, z16 tiles look best with no overlay at all, and that is how I am going to run them, between my z17/z19 high visual flight zones and flight paths.  Overlays for those, no overlays for any z16 tile   the whole U.S. of A. will eventually look spectacular. 

BTW, Bob from my lurking on the P3D forum...and the comments of usage so far with v4.0...I am now not at all in a hurry. I'm going to enjoy XP11, P3D 3.4, and AF2 (with the soon-to-be-released Orbx goodies).

I'm still going to pick up P3D v4.0, but ONLY after it has gone through at least three update-revisions, and by that time, most of my Orbx library will be workable within. That's the battle plan on that front. :)

Mitch

I am fiddling more with the orthos and going to do my 1st batch, but 1st I want to look at z16 and z17 side by side.  As far as p3d, I did not know they released v4. Is this the 64bit release?

Bob

11 hours ago, Griphos said:

This has been a very informative thread.  I've archived it as I'm sure even more of it will be useful once I try this myself. But, I haven't ever looked into ortho and know nothing. Can you tell me which of the many guides is best for getting started?  Most up to date how to out there that starts at the beginning?

https://youtu.be/nhr4xYosVvI

This will get you started ! It's kind of long winded though and he doesn't get into the more advanced features.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

10 hours ago, N1G said:

I am fiddling more with the orthos and going to do my 1st batch, but 1st I want to look at z16 and z17 side by side.  As far as p3d, I did not know they released v4. Is this the 64bit release?

Bob

Yep, was released 2 days ago..and is the 64 variety.  As for z16 and z17...I suggest you create one tile that contains a favorite airport at z16.   Fly around, at different altitudes, and all...and then create the exact same tile, but at z17, and do the same stuff.  That will give you the best idea between them.

• Upvote 1

Hey, 

3 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yep, was released 2 days ago..and is the 64 variety.  As for z16 and z17...I suggest you create one tile that contains a favorite airport at z16.   Fly around, at different altitudes, and all...and then create the exact same tile, but at z17, and do the same stuff.  That will give you the best idea between them.

I was just on the p3d forum. Some are happy others are not. So, everything is normal :biggrin:

10-4 on the compare. Was curious if you get a 3rd party airport, does that airport go below the ortho in the ini? 

Bob

I am confused. My z17 build of 1 grid was about 8gig, but my z16 build was almost 13gig.

Why?

Bob

4 hours ago, N1G said:

Hey, 

I was just on the p3d forum. Some are happy others are not. So, everything is normal :biggrin:

10-4 on the compare. Was curious if you get a 3rd party airport, does that airport go below the ortho in the ini? 

Bob

Yes, you can get third party to work, not all of them, some of them..it has been hit and miss for me right now, but again, I suspect that is the learning curve as well.  EVERYTHING, Bob, stays above your yOrthoOverlay folder, and all your other tile short-cuts, or actual folders below that one. They should all be just above any HD or UHD Mesh that you have, at the rock bottom of your Scenery.ini file.

2 hours ago, N1G said:

I am confused. My z17 build of 1 grid was about 8gig, but my z16 build was almost 13gig.

Why?

Bob

Well, if you are measuring the size of the tile folder, please remember, that each z(x) download of jpg...sits in a separate folder one level down from the root of the tile folder, and that tile's ROOT folder's footprint size will grow holding them. The good thing about this, is that if you want to re-cut back to z16, all of the files are there...and there will be no further downloading, as the tile is re-cut.  Same for if you want to bump that tile back up to z17. If you decide upon one z rating or the other for that tile, or tiles, merely go into your tile folder, and delete any folder that holds the z-rating that you do not wish to use. That will bring your storage footprint down for that tile folder.