KenG

Think your system is up to scratch, real world trainer

I got a chance to see our procedures trainer in its load mode and the processors supporting it. Realize this is just the procedures trainer and not the actual Full Flight Simulator i.e. it is the lowest end of training device and designed for checklist procedures, runups, and avionics integration training. It flies, but you cannot log time in it.

The procedures trainer is, of course, a rack mount server with multiple blades. The main server is the Xeon E5 2670 v3 x 4 for a total of 32 cores running at 3.2 ghz.64Gb of memory support the trainer. The Instructor's Operating System is a pair of Xeon E5 2620s with 11 cores available (not sure where the 12 core went.) Visuals are through multiple Quadro P6000s. (This is not a visual sim) On multiple touch screen monitors. Cost with avionics licensing and custom software, approaching $100K. 

My i7 4770K is so insignificant after seeing this. :) 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

10 minutes ago, KenG said:

I got a chance to see our procedures trainer in its load mode and the processors supporting it. Realize this is just the procedures trainer and not the actual Full Flight Simulator i.e. it is the lowest end of training device and designed for checklist procedures, runups, and avionics integration training. It flies, but you cannot log time in it.

The procedures trainer is, of course, a rack mount server with multiple blades. The main server is the Xeon E5 2670 v3 x 4 for a total of 32 cores running at 3.2 ghz.64Gb of memory support the trainer. The Instructor's Operating System is a pair of Xeon E5 2620s with 11 cores available (not sure where the 12 core went.) Visuals are through multiple Quadro P6000s. (This is not a visual sim) On multiple touch screen monitors. Cost with avionics licensing and custom software, approaching $100K. 

My i7 4770K is so insignificant after seeing this. :) 

Yet we still demand our sims try to match such systems.

We load up our computers, seeking greater and greater detail of every sort, then pout at the framerates and other compromises.

I've wondered for years whether it will ever come to a point where simmers finally concede that we've asked as much as we can from our computers, especially given the age of our current favorite sims.

• Upvote 1

Well Ken, your Aircraft software goes in the same direction I am afraid.

Starts from around say $500K and goes way north of that too, and it does not include external, internal, or VC modelling.

Makes complaining about PMDG, and FSLabs prices moot.