Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

"At a Stretch" Mission....

I am playing around 1 or 2 missions per day during the last few days since I started to give missions a try.

They're great to play.

This particular one, among the USA territory missions, turns out as an excellent test for even the seasoned simmer pilot.

Set your Realism settings to "Hard" and fly the mission the best you can. 

It's under the "Easy" classification, but I failed it twice and really felt bad, but a smile showed on my face when I though to myself... Duh! That's a BASIC ONE José !!!!! You should have done it right from the beginning....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I must admit, I did end up checking what the Piper Cub's best glide speed was on the internet after I failed it miserably a few times; now that was embarrassing for a glider pilot lol.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Can subscribe at the above. Setting speed accordingly I even got on the ground with fuel on board (running engine). Prior to that, I crashed few feet short a gazillion of times.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

That's not cheating!  You should always know your best glide speed in every plane.  It's always going to be very close to the best rate of climb.  Actually, on most planes it's about half way between Vx and Vy (which every pilot should know about his or her plane before taking off).  So, if you don't know it, you should certainly grab the POH (which is always on board with you, right?), or, in this case, Google, and look it up!!!  

:-)

But !  There was yet another detail I was failling to check - and that's because I am a glider pilot :-)

If you're on Max Realism, without Auto-Mixture, make sure to LEAN because the flight starts at around 4000+ ft !

Now, just flew the "Icing" mission - another very enjoyable one and one that requires leaning, use of carb heat, and ... I will not say more :-)  because you'll find it yourself guys ...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

When it comes to steam gauge aircraft, use the Shift+Z to verify that what you are getting on your ASI is what the aircraft is actually doing. Their animation calibrations are way out (don't know if they got fixed in the update).

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

But yet again, there is no need to glide (maybe that's why the mission is classified as "easy").

Just set your throttle to about 50% and fly normaly towards the RWY. You will end up on the runway with fuel onboard.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

But if you fly at 50% throttle AT best glide speed, you'll have even more fuel in the tank when you get there. 

Note too on this mission that you can also take into account the wind direction and gain something from choosing your course wisely.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here