Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

"Folks, THIS...is why I Ortho..."...

3 hours ago, Pascal_LSGC said:

Thanks, but I made a mistake.

In fact, a full tile at zl 19 takes 64 times the disk space of one at zl 16 !

Pascal

Thank gawd, Western Digital invented My Books!

1 hour ago, BobFS88 said:

Sesqaushtoo

You make a great salesmen for external drives. I never thought about where I can park the Orthos sceneries that can take up so much spaces until I came your posts and your images look really good. 

It kind push me to run out to microcenter pick a 5 Tb drive. 

But I want to ask a quick question: when your making your tiles, for your based are you OSM or B1.  For the Grand Bahamas island I try OSM but didn't workout so well so I use B1 and it look much better. Just wanted to see if there was any room for improvement.

Bob

My 'default' go to source, has been BI(ng). I find that there is better color continuity. I also use USA_2 as my other 'go-to'.

I have never used OSM, as I have noticed that there are a lot of water-errors notifications, but unfortunately, that is the only option for making up the first metrics of any file, in the 1,2,3 step process.  Right now, I have four 4TB  drives sitting on top of my tower case, and I have one alread coming in at 2.85 TB's of converted ortho. I have been (in the background, in Batch Mode) over the last 20 hours or so, been converting the entire Rocky Mountain chain, with all tiles from there, west to the ocean.  It is a 163 tile run, being converted at z17/z19 (2KMs out from airports surrounds) I'm nowhere near done, with about 30 tiles having been generated so far.  I imagine that after this latest Batch Run is completed, I will have eaten one of my four 4TB's.  

I think that I am pretty much, good-to-go for what I will end up converting within XP11.  I have converted most of my true flight interests, and their states, thereof.  I love mountains...and so, will convert (as I am) the total run of the Rocky Mountains, the Appalachians, the Smokeys, and the Blue Ridge.  Probably two tiles each to run down those spines.  After that, will convert the rest of the United states that doesn't have a converted tile showing upon the map, to z16/z19, with no overlay. I am really liking the clean look of the ortho...and of course, you see every road, every dirt road, every backwater...that is there is real life.  With not having any auto-gen of any kind being generated in my full z16/z19 State of Florida, I am getting wild FPS obtainment, and that, had me scratching my hairless head, with a; "Hmmmmm, hmmmmmm".  I am right now converting all of the aforementioned West coast (BC, Washington State, etc) at z17/z19, but no Overlay's being generated for any of the tiles. I want to fly over a z17, naked, and see what my FPS readings will be.  The great thing about this (Ortho4XP)program, is that you can create the tile WITHOUT the Overlay step...and any time thereafter, go back to that tiles, or Batch a series of tiles, and create an overlay for that tile later on.  Absolutely the best of both worlds. I am amazed at the flexibility of this program...and am using every global cfg feature to my advantage as I 'learning-curve surf'.

I am totally dedicated now to flying ONLY over converted, real world scenery...and could never go back to any form of plausible, whether in this sim, or another sim platform. It's going to kill me to take a flight in P3D.x now. Gonna kill me....:(

So, obviously, from my typing here...my two main flight simming' 'squeezes'...are going to be XP11, and AeroFly 2 (with Orbx, and other 3rP content...as well, as using that new tool to generate my own ortho, for this sim).

If I have to buy beyond my already installed 16 TB's of ortho storage capacity, I'm going to buy the largest My Book 'T' capacity drive they make at that time.  It's much cheaper per GB's that way, anyways... :)

Have fun, and enjoy, oh...and Bob, I don't work for Western Digital....but hey...maybe I should call them after retirement, huh? :))))))  LOL!

Cheers,

Mitch 

On 6/1/2017 at 7:36 AM, michaelray said:

Ses, when you say XP uses every GB of your system memory, what sort of figure are you talking about?

I thought my system would have utilised the memory more effectively (have 32GB). Over Ortho ZL16 system memory tops out at about 6.5GB. VRAM is between 5 - 6 GB. Currently I have my Ortho tiles on an m2 SSD (obviously not a long term solution as I build more tiles). With that I still get around 5sec pauses at approximately 2 - 3 times per tile worth of flying.

How far can you fly before you have long pauses while further tiles load?

Thanks Michael

That's the figure held in your V-RAM, Michael, that is being processed in real-time, but XP will load into every available GB's of your system RAM, that the O.S. does not inhabit.  That is what takes 4-5 minutes for my total 12 GB's of System RAM. My motherboard can only hold 12 GB's max.  So...in your case, many more tiles will be pre-loaded (for great smooth animation and tile fly-over transitions...) to fill the remainder of your 32 GB's of System Ram, not your graphic card's V-Ram cache.

I also get a multi-tile 5 second or so pause...which is normal. I misread your post and have reedited my response. :)  You should go a bit longer at least twice my interval, as you have over twice my total System Ram capacity.

That is normal...and if only 5 seconds, you are doing very well... my pauses are about the same, perhaps a tad, in seconds, more. Does not affect my immersion at all.  Not for what you get after the load-in pause...:)))))))

Mitch

Dose this work equally well for FSX or P3D or is this only for XP11?

seems like a good community project that could divide up the work and take full advantage of BitTorrent to distribute the large files. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

11 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Dose this work equally well for FSX or P3D or is this only for XP11?

seems like a good community project that could divide up the work and take full advantage of BitTorrent to distribute the large files. 

Only for both XP 10 and 11, Mark.  Perhaps there is another program for P3D/FSX, that accomplishes the same, and user-ease-of-use. :)

Also, for reasons of legality, depending upon the sat image sourcing, the user has to create his/her own tiles, but cannot upload them to any location. Only for his/her own computer system usage.  'nuff said. :)

Dumb question possibly, but is it possible to create a library of these files so they can be shared?  Or does the software not work that way. 

Thanks!

Colin

10 minutes ago, montanasimmer said:

Dumb question possibly, but is it possible to create a library of these files so they can be shared?  Or does the software not work that way. 

Thanks!

Colin

Nope, no sharing...each user must create their own tile content, and use it only upon their system. No uploads to the net or 'sharing', unless Sat image sources used to generate 'x' tile,are totally in the public-domain.

Anything can be shared. But I doubt it is practical in this case.

Someone would have to produce them, then, I guess... sort them properly, zip them, upload (boy that would be some milestone job) share the link for all the others who don't know/want to produce them for themselves by themselves.

And I'm not sure about legal stuff too.

2 minutes ago, gamer19 said:

Anything can be shared. But I doubt it is practical in this case.

Someone would have to produce them, then, I guess... pack them, zip them, upload (boy that would be some milestone job) share the link for all the others who don't know/want to produce them for themselves by themselves.

...it depends upon what source the tile collection was generated from That is is it, in a nutshell.  

35 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Only for both XP 10 and 11, Mark.  Perhaps there is another program for P3D/FSX, that accomplishes the same, and user-ease-of-use. :)

Also, for reasons of legality, depending upon the sat image sourcing, the user has to create his/her own tiles, but cannot upload them to any location. Only for his/her own computer system usage.  'nuff said. :)

OK got it.  I know nothing about this stuff just learning from you and others on this thread.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

21 minutes ago, MarkW said:

OK got it.  I know nothing about this stuff just learning from you and others on this thread.  

No problem, Mark...but as to sharing, most are letting that topic , drift off to oblivion.... 

Why not try this for yourself?  You'll love it!

Ses

Thanks for the reply.

So I guess I can stick with that BI setting and your right, it does have better color after I did generating my tiles for Nassau and Freeport .I have been there before so I am familiar with area. 

Your night view should be spectacular with that much real scenery that your using.

>> will have eaten one of my four 4TB's.  

Jeeze  all 4 of them?  Wow. That is is alot of data.

What you have done made me rethink about what I can do on my system as well

Hey,  when you do retire while your at it, you should also consider Nvidia sales a well.

I remember the test you ran on Xplane with you GTX 1070 reported that you were using up 7 gig of VRAM, it think Xplane 10.50. At that time I just running the Titan Black with 6 gig of VRAM. After seeing you post, So I got the Titan X for insurance. LOL.

I will be retire by the end of the month so will probably have time to increase my scenery collection.

You do a great job of showing what all can be achieve in X plane.

Thanks for you do.

Bob

10 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

No problem, Mark...but as to sharing, most are letting that topic , drift off to oblivion.... 

Why not try this for yourself?  You'll love it!

Only one problem, I don't own XP11.

Mark W   CYYZ      

27 minutes ago, BobFS88 said:

Ses

Thanks for the reply.

So I guess I can stick with that BI setting and your right, it does have better color after I did generating my tiles for Nassau and Freeport .I have been there before so I am familiar with area. 

Your night view should be spectacular with that much real scenery that your using.

>> will have eaten one of my four 4TB's.  

Jeeze  all 4 of them?  Wow. That is is alot of data.

What you have done made me rethink about what I can do on my system as well

Hey,  when you do retire while your at it, you should also consider Nvidia sales a well.

I remember the test you ran on Xplane with you GTX 1070 reported that you were using up 7 gig of VRAM, it think Xplane 10.50. At that time I just running the Titan Black with 6 gig of VRAM. After seeing you post, So I got the Titan X for insurance. LOL.

I will be retire by the end of the month so will probably have time to increase my scenery collection.

You do a great job of showing what all can be achieve in X plane.

Thanks for you do.

Bob

Wow, thanks Bob, for the thumb's up.  I always try to be helpful and encouraging, as so many other's here. :)

Bob, with XP 11 at the settings I like and with Ortho in play, my V-load is always sitting at just under 8GB's of load-in.

Have fun!

17 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Only one problem, I don't own XP11.

"Mark...THAT can be easily corrected, sir!" :))))))