Sign in to follow this  
felixflyer

Returning to Flight Sims.

Hi guys

I am returning to flight simming after many years out of it. Previously I used FS2004 and FSX with the PMDG stuff. I like to use study level sims and am a RW pilot also.

I am doing some commercial training and would like to use a flight sim to help with my IR procedures and checks etc. I stress I will not be using it for any kind of general handling practice as I am well aware of the limitations of sims but for IR procedures and getting familiar with cockpit layouts it can be beneficial and save ££'s in the air.

That said I am unfamiliar with P3D or Xplane and these seem to have become popular since I have been away.

I would like a sim that replicates the UK navaids and airfields well, either standalone or with add ons and has a decent DA42 with G1000 available plus PMDG 737. I was thinking of using FSX with the Eaglesoft DA42 and Mindstar G1000  would this be the best option over P3d and Xplane11?

I would be grateful for any advice.

5 minutes ago, felixflyer said:

Hi guys

I am returning to flight simming after many years out of it. Previously I used FS2004 and FSX with the PMDG stuff. I like to use study level sims and am a RW pilot also.

I am doing some commercial training and would like to use a flight sim to help with my IR procedures and checks etc. I stress I will not be using it for any kind of general handling practice as I am well aware of the limitations of sims but for IR procedures and getting familiar with cockpit layouts it can be beneficial and save ££'s in the air.

That said I am unfamiliar with P3D or Xplane and these seem to have become popular since I have been away.

I would like a sim that replicates the UK navaids and airfields well, either standalone or with add ons and has a decent DA42 with G1000 available plus PMDG 737. I was thinking of using FSX with the Eaglesoft DA42 and Mindstar G1000  would this be the best option over P3d and Xplane11?

I would be grateful for any advice.

P3D V4 and X-plane 11, and also FSW (new FSX) are all new 64-bit simulators. These are the future! 

I would buy one of those. And my preference is in the same order as my sentence above.

Plus, there are (gigantic) many addon developers available for P3D V3 already, those will migrate to V4.

X-plane also has a tremendous amount of high quality aircraft available. And also many freeware scenery.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

2 minutes ago, felixflyer said:

Does P3D acurately cover the UK and does it include real world navaids and frequencies etc?

Yes it does, for the navaid+freq. part.

UK is covered by default scenery in the base product (just as in FSX) for that matter. But ORBX is updating their products and UK/britain is one of those!

I bet UK will look awesome with ORBX scenery in V4.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Thanks for your help.

I don't mind paying for upgrades, I just want to make sure I choose the right base sim in the first place as I will also be building a PC specifically to run whichever I choose.

I will have a look into P3D.

Many Thanks

8 hours ago, felixflyer said:

Thanks for your help.

I don't mind paying for upgrades, I just want to make sure I choose the right base sim in the first place as I will also be building a PC specifically to run whichever I choose.

I will have a look into P3D.

Many Thanks

Felix,

Sinc you have an identical thread running in another forum with more replies I am going to lock this one. Two thread going on the same topic isn't necessary.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator