Sign in to follow this  
romangeber

CDT when setting MDH during final

Hi

I just crashed the 747 while approaching LGAV (flytampa) in P3Dv4. The crash occured during final approach when I set the MDH. I held down the right mouse button and dragged the cursor to the right. Sadly no error log was created. P3D just ended. No log in the log viewer either.

I assume that it has something to do with a micro stutter introduced  during the airport scenery load that close (~6nm) to the airport. The stutter is normal but this time I held the mouse down and changed values while it happened.

Note: I HATE the way the MDH/MDA and Baro knobs are to be used. It takes forever to set these values and is pretty inaccurate. Please oh please add mouse wheel support for these (optional would be fine).

cu
Roman

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, romangeber said:

Note: I HATE the way the MDH/MDA and Baro knobs are to be used.

There are fast and slow speeds to the setting change.  They are set up to mimic how the real controls work in the airplane but you have an option to change it.  See the Introduction document for details.

Dan Downs KCRP

4 hours ago, romangeber said:

Note: I HATE the way the MDH/MDA and Baro knobs are to be used. It takes forever to set these values and is pretty inaccurate. Please oh please add mouse wheel support for these (optional would be fine).

Already has it. This and more are noted in the intro manual. Please have a read.

Without something in the log I'm hesitant to go chasing this one down as I haven't heard other reports of this.

Kyle Rodgers

Already has it. This and more are noted in the intro manual. Please have a read.

My bad. Read it once when I got the plane but not again. Will do so now :)
Thanks!

cu
Roman

Quick update. I found it. But not in the manual. The manual states:

The mouse wheel isn’t working on certain knobs:

There is no mouse-wheel operation on the bank limiter, BARO or MINS knobs: they were made operable only with left/right mouse clicks on purpose to save you from accidentally triggering them while spinning their inner knobs with your mouse-wheel.

This is clearly saying: no, not gonna work.

I did remember however that it worked on one of the British airways planes (G-BNLX). Checked the file for differences and found the paramter.

To turn it mouse wheel control on, find the parameter RotaryMinsBaro in the airframes .ini file (located in <P3D/FSX-root>\PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II\Aircraft)

Set it from 0 to 1 and the problem goes away.

Of course that doesn't explain the CDT, but at least it should not be triggered by the same thing again :)

EDIT: One can use the Notepad++ function "Find in Files" to apply the fix to all files in the directory at once.

cu
Roman

Edited by romangeber
Added info about how to edit all files at once.

15 minutes ago, romangeber said:

To turn it mouse wheel control on, find the parameter RotaryMinsBaro in the airframes .ini file (located in <P3D/FSX-root>\PMDG\PMDG 747 QOTS II\Aircraft)

Set it from 0 to 1 and the problem goes away.

I wonder if this might actually be on the options pages, and if I was possibly pointing you in that direction.

That single entry should be updated, but had you searched a little further in either the manual, or in the plane, you would've found it without having to mess with the files...

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

26 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

I wonder if this might actually be on the options pages, and if I was possibly pointing you in that direction.

Doh, it stared me in the face every time I was looking through the menus to find it. Anyone looking for the option, go to the Airframes Equipment Menu and set 'MINIMUMS & BARO KNOBS' to 'ROTARY'.

Found the intro manual page as well by searching "rotary" rather than "wheel" or "mouse". The quote from above is what I found first and that's pretty discouraging to look any further.

Personally I'm happy that this can be edited in bulk using the ini files. Please keep these files like that and don't go all binary or something. Makes enabling features across the whole "fleet" just so much easier.

Thanks for your help!

Interesting side note for 777 owners: The 777 has the same setting, but it's global. It's located under 'OPTIONS -> SIMULATION' on page 3/7.

cu
Roman