Sign in to follow this  
adyfoot

Core i9 7900X for P3D v4

Hi all,

Well a slight disaster struck - one of my two GTX 1080 Ti's was faulty.  Caused a hell of a lot of head-scratching between myself, Gigabyte and NVIDIA.  It's only a subtle fault but, after several drain and refill sessions of my water-cooling loop, I was able to narrow the problem down to the card.  And, because I removed the stock cooler and fitted a waterblock, no warranty!  Brilliant.

So my system is now a single 1080Ti.  Not the end of the World but a bit of a bitter taste that such a lot of money has gone down the drain.  I'm going to see if I can RMA it to the supplier as it's within 30 days.  Will refit the stock cooler and hope for the best.

At least this means I can finally get on with setting up the PC and getting the all-important P3D installed!

@SteveW You may be sick of talking about HT and Affinity Masks now but, with a deca-core, what do you recommend as the best AM with HT turned on?

Regards,

Ady

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

8 hours ago, Noel said:

Steve, sir, please tell me what, IYHO, the best CPU would be for P3D V4, trying to hedge for better utilization of multicore CPUs down the road.   As I've said before single core performance has change minimally over the past 5y and it seems the base sim plus addon devs should be looking to access multi cores better to enhance total performance.   I've had the 3930K you helped me set up for the right AM, but I think this system has died--I'm waiting to hear news from ASUS on whether or not my motherboard can be fixed in which case I may be able to continue using the 3930K.    If not I have to start choosing parts ASAP--I really miss it!

I'm leaning towards 7820X with its 8 cores and so far has the best single-core performance of any of the  i7/i9 X processors currently.  But I'm open to other opinions!

You'll be rocking with any six or eight, the more expensive sixes overclock better. Four core versions with HT still OK with their brute force high frequencies but six is the better option for a busy P3D v4.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 7/7/2017 at 2:20 AM, SteveW said:

...the more expensive sixes overclock better. Four core versions with HT still OK with their brute force high frequencies but six is the better option for a busy P3D v4.

Thanks for that.  Here's another thought I hope to get your take on:  7820X and 7900X I believe thru Turbo 3 o'c the top two cores to 4.5Ghz.  That sounds to me like it could be 2 of ANY 6 or 8 cores.  That being the case, is there a way to get P3D to run on THOSE two best overclockers, or is that out of our control?

Also, which 'expensive sixes' are you thinking?   I don't think I'm averse to Haswell E as I think the mainboard options might be better than for SkylakeX.  I think Haswell E uses soldered tin to affix the IHS to the chip, whereas SkylakeX uses silly putty or something along those lines.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

19 hours ago, Noel said:

Thanks for that.  Here's another thought I hope to get your take on:  7820X and 7900X I believe thru Turbo 3 o'c the top two cores to 4.5Ghz.  That sounds to me like it could be 2 of ANY 6 or 8 cores.  That being the case, is there a way to get P3D to run on THOSE two best overclockers, or is that out of our control?

Also, which 'expensive sixes' are you thinking?   I don't think I'm averse to Haswell E as I think the mainboard options might be better than for SkylakeX.  I think Haswell E uses soldered tin to affix the IHS to the chip, whereas SkylakeX uses silly putty or something along those lines.

Only IF10 can do that as far as I know and it's only available for P3D v3 at the moment. I was thinking 6850 vs 6800 as an example of more expensive.

Hey all,

Looking @Rob Ainscough 7900x results has got me itching to pull the trigger on a 7820x. Can we deduce from those results more cores is better? Im using a 7700k at 5ghz with HT off (HT giving me stutters, @SteveW i have tried all your HT wisdom to no provail) but what i have noticed is cores 2 and 3 (texture loading cores) are maxed. So my real question is - is the additional 4 cores going to help this. What is the real world performance gains for V4 using a 7820x with an OC of around 4.7 - 4.8? 

Thanks in advance,

James 

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

With HT off v3 will spill it's guts onto the first four logical processors it finds, with no HT that's four straight cores, works great.

With HT enabled the v3 sim puts all of that onto the first two cores, four straight LPs, crammed like sardines onto two cores, more LPs are available it makes more use of those in loading.

An AM pattern like 85=01,01,01,01 with HT enabled is equivalent to 15=1111 with HT disabled. The sim works the same has no knowledge of the other four logical processors with HT enabled.

If you don't see an improvement with +HT and AM=85 over -HT and AM=15 you got something wrong there.

With v4 think six LPs instead of four to start getting serious.