Recommended Posts

Hi, i got a problem for a couple of days now...i have done this before...but when u are over 45, memory starts to poor out :P

First i got "Nvcompress.exe has stopped working, (downloaded NVTools "DDS Utilities" kit, and renamed Nvdxt.exe to Nvcompress.exe...that worked...
After i have completed the Batch build, it shows NO errors..nothing..but when i open ..\texture directory, its only *.png files...not a single DDS file...and ofcourse error when i start up X-Plane 11.

This is from X-Plane Log.txt

I have done some tests with different sources and lvl:s

Error, could not locate image file for terrain
0:01:35.152 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+57+018/terrain/5008_9008_Hitta14_sea_overlay.ter
0:01:35.152 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+57+018/terrain/
0:01:35.152 E/SYS: | ../textures/5008_9008_Hitta14.dds
0:01:35.152 E/SYS: | (REN_terrain.cpp:146)

Someone who can help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

4 hours ago, Atrox72 said:

No one?

It means that that your source choice does not have good data at the zl level you chose.

If this happens to me, this is what I would do...

Choose GO2, as the source, AND, turn on Clean unused DDS/Terrain Files as checked box'ed on.

Now  highlight tile 57/18 by making the border YELLOW,and seeing the x/y numbers in the top left of your Map Screen.

Then go to the GREEN SCREEN and press Step number 3, BUILD TILE.

Fire up XP11 again, and see if you load into your destination airport.

Sometimes Ortho4XP can't find the sat.jpg that it needs to make a viable tile that loads into XP11.  

I merely find a source, AND with a zl factor that gives me a viable tile FOR that tile. You do not ever have to re-cut every tile of a series with a new zl Factor. You can have tiles shoulder to shoulder from a different source, and/or a different zl factor. The only difference would be, as you fly over the threshold of one tile to another, you might see a variance in color temperate (what time of day, or month that sat shot was captured with), or if you for example dropped the zl one factor...from let's say zl17 to zl16, you'd see also a drop in visual clarity, so a visual degradation.  

Basically what you had, was a failure of Ortho4XP to convert OR, there was no viable data FOR Ortho4XP to convert to a viable XP11 texture.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This also happens when using a large mask value and the tile downloaded is completely black. The DDS conversion for some reason doesn't convert the black tiles so you end up with loading errors.

Normally to fix, I look at the filename XP is complaining about, and find an existing image which is mostly water and then copy and rename it. This solves the problem 90% of the time. Of course, if it isn't water then Mitch's solution would also work.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nice posts... i will try that after the soccer training ....and i will report the result afterwards....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, i did as you wrote here....but after the convert is done when i look in the Tiles/texture i cant find the dds files....just some jpg:s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am really angry in this Orrtho4xp now. I cant get Ortho4xp work at all....i have done the "guide" 20 times now....moved directory between drives....removed and installed the Ortho4xp again, but i cant get any .dds files from Tiles directory...just .jpg....i have changed between sources/lands and ZL...but no no....

So what am i doing wrong ? 

I just start the ortho4xp program and select the tile...but no more....

 

/Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Atrox72 said:

I am really angry in this Orrtho4xp now. I cant get Ortho4xp work at all....i have done the "guide" 20 times now....moved directory between drives....removed and installed the Ortho4xp again, but i cant get any .dds files from Tiles directory...just .jpg....i have changed between sources/lands and ZL...but no no....

So what am i doing wrong ? 

I just start the ortho4xp program and select the tile...but no more....

 

/Thanks

My suggestion:

1. Pick just one 'test' tile that covers an airport you know is within that tile capture

2. Highlight the tile in 'yellow' (not a batch convert) and that tells you O4XP is going to work on that tile...

3. Pick BI(ng) or GO2, or USA2 as the source

4. On the green Generation Window, do not touch any setting, other than in the Step 3 Window, check as on, both Mask Checkboxes.

5. Make sure that for Overlay generation, you have the white letter-box pointing to your default XP11 Scenery Folder as in:

G:\X-Plane 11\Global Scenery\X-Plane 11 Global Scenery                 <-------------------------------(replace my G:\ with your own hard drive location letter!!!!)

To make it easy for you, merely paste above into the letter box, then EDIT the drive letter. Make sure the check-mark box has one.

I suggest that you capture my XP11 Default Global Scenery pointer....place it into a notepad file on your Desktop, BUT, with your HD drive letter already edited, and then save the file.  You can then 'copy' that pointer string, from this notepad file, and paste into the Overlay letter-box window each time, you need to. Makes it easy-peasy.

6. Generate yellow-highlighted tile.

When done, plop yourself down at that airport within your tile...and see what's up.  You'll be fine.  At first, we ALL were a little bit frustrated with the learning curve. The curve is there...no getting around it...but once past the newbie-sitting in the curve, upon the curb (flat tire?!?)...learn how to fix the tire (Ortho4XP)-Radial......THEN.....you can stomp the gas peddle and never look back....

Yep...

Yep....

"Oh...and once you are pedal-to-the-metal, start to budget for an W.D. 8TB My Book.  They are working out, just killer, running cool, as constantly run...and I couldn't be happier with my minions of W.D. My books...(evil laugh inserted) They are helping me to conquer the World....(HeeeeeHaaaaa-HeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(insert sound of evil laugh)!" :anonymose:

'Alexander The Great'- Mitch....

Later,

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

My suggestion:

1. Pick just one 'test' tile that covers an airport you know is within that tile capture

2. Highlight the tile in 'yellow' (not a batch convert) and that tells you O4XP is going to work on that tile...

3. Pick BI(ng) or GO2, or USA2 as the source

4. On the green Generation Window, do not touch any setting, other than in the Step 3 Window, check as on, both Mask Checkboxes.

5. Make sure that for Overlay generation, you have the white letter-box pointing to your default XP11 Scenery Folder as in:

G:\X-Plane 11\Global Scenery\X-Plane 11 Global Scenery                 <-------------------------------(replace my G:\ with your own hard drive location letter!!!!)

To make it easy for you, merely paste above into the letter box, then EDIT the drive letter. Make sure the check-mark box has one.

I suggest that you capture my XP11 Default Global Scenery pointer....place it into a notepad file on your Desktop, BUT, with your HD drive letter already edited, and then save the file.  You can then 'copy' that pointer string, from this notepad file, and paste into the Overlay letter-box window each time, you need to. Makes it easy-peasy.

6. Generate yellow-highlighted tile.

When done, plop yourself down at that airport within your tile...and see what's up.  You'll be fine.  At first, we ALL were a little bit frustrated with the learning curve. The curve is there...no getting around it...but once past the newbie-sitting in the curve, upon the curb (flat tire?!?)...learn how to fix the tire (Ortho4XP)-Radial......THEN.....you can stomp the gas peddle and never look back....

Yep...

Yep....

"Oh...and once you are pedal-to-the-metal, start to budget for an W.D. 8TB My Book.  They are working out, just killer, running cool, as constantly run...and I couldn't be happier with my minions of W.D. My books...(evil laugh inserted) They are helping me to conquer the World....(HeeeeeHaaaaa-HeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(insert sound of evil laugh)!" :anonymose:

'Alexander The Great'- Mitch....

Later,

 

Thanks mate, i will try exactly this when i get home tomorrow and let you now. I have done this before (before i had a HDD crasch).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2017 at 0:04 PM, Atrox72 said:

Thanks mate, i will try exactly this when i get home tomorrow and let you now. I have done this before (before i had a HDD crasch).

 

 

I got it working now....i downloaded "nvcompress-quick" from Nvidia...renamed it to nvcompress.exe and copied all files to nvcompress folder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Atrox72 said:

I got it working now....i downloaded "nvcompress-quick" from Nvidia...renamed it to nvcompress.exe and copied all files to nvcompress folder.

Excellent!   Tire fixed...pedal to the metal...:)

I hear the squealing ortho tracks even now... :)

Mitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way way too complicated for the average Joe. Screw it. I guess I'll stick with the default scenery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 5:12 PM, Atrox72 said:

Hi, i got a problem for a couple of days now...i have done this before...but when u are over 45, memory starts to poor out :P

First i got "Nvcompress.exe has stopped working, (downloaded NVTools "DDS Utilities" kit, and renamed Nvdxt.exe to Nvcompress.exe...that worked...
After i have completed the Batch build, it shows NO errors..nothing..but when i open ..\texture directory, its only *.png files...not a single DDS file...and ofcourse error when i start up X-Plane 11.

This is from X-Plane Log.txt

I have done some tests with different sources and lvl:s

Error, could not locate image file for terrain
0:01:35.152 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+57+018/terrain/5008_9008_Hitta14_sea_overlay.ter
0:01:35.152 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/zOrtho4XP_+57+018/terrain/
0:01:35.152 E/SYS: | ../textures/5008_9008_Hitta14.dds
0:01:35.152 E/SYS: | (REN_terrain.cpp:146)

Someone who can help me ?

Thanks in advance.

I was having the same problem. After trying different versions of Ortho4 I managed to solve. Just installing the Microsoft Visual C ++ packages

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ismaelsaraiva said:

I was having the same problem. After trying different versions of Ortho4 I managed to solve. Just installing the Microsoft Visual C ++ packages

I had my challenges getting Ortho4XP to work, finally I ditched the directions and put everything in one folder.  Pathing is important to Ortho4XP and you have to have it and the script executables installed where they can see each other.  As for missing textures, I had that happen once in a while, usually comes from trying to add on to an existing project and then having to halt Ortho4XP because of time constraint issues or disk space issues.  Finally, I decided to quit using Ortho scenery altogether since I had MSE for P3D and I tend to prefer Xplane11's realistic looking ground textures, accurately placed and detailed landclass, superb autogen and default mesh.  Xplane11 is a great package, and with the Chicago and Vegas updates, and some add on freeware airports and surrounding scenery I have, it is a wonderful sim and compares nicely to P3D.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now