Sign in to follow this  

i9 7900X vs. i7 5960X - P3D V4 performance results 85% FPS increase

47 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I have Turbo Mode enabled.  If you're running one of the listed CPUs for Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology and did NOT install Intel's Turbo Boost Max 3.0 drivers, then you should see a "?" or caution icon in the device manager indicating no driver for this feature was installed.

Be warned, once you install the Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 Technology, it's a system driver and hence will NOT uninstall (at least not in the traditional way of Add/Remove Programs).  However, not a big deal since you can "Disable" Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology per the video I provided above and it will stay disabled.

I've also disabled HT in BIOS which has helped reduce CPU temps and less long frames in P3D even at extremely high graphics settings.  Terrain clarity is very good now even at 600 KTS and I'm back to using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob - my board is different in this regard. I've now got legacy mode in the BIOS and now, and only now, have the ITBM device.  I've installed the driver, disabled it as you indicated, and will now get P3D installed for some testing.

Any AM with HT disabled?

Thanks for your help, Ady

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

14 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

Any AM with HT disabled?

No AM set with HT disabled.  But to clarify, you do NOT need to disable HT to solve the Intel Turbo Boost Max issue.

Cheers, Rob.

17 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

But to clarify, you do NOT need to disable HT to solve the Intel Turbo Boost Max issue.

Yup, understood.  But, if you're finding HT off improves your sim, I'll likely discover the same :-)

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

Alas, nothing I seem to try fixes the problem.  Whilst the blurries are no longer as bad as they were, they still exist and P3D is struggling to draw the terrain before I get to it.  So tiles are sharpening up all around me just before I arrive (even at slower speeds).  I've turned off V-Sync to find frames of >100 (limited to 50FPS with V-Sync on).  Most odd and all with standard out of the box scenery and no add-ons installed.  Never had this before and a bit perplexed.  Going to have one more go tomorrow evening and then will resort to plan a and return the board.

You disabled Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 (per video with systray icon)?  100+ FPS VC with the exact same graphics settings (and add-ons) I listed (at start of my thread) at 4K resolution?  That seems a bit too good considering your running the same CPU and GPU is effectively the same as my TitanXp ... how are you measuring/logging FPS to get that average?

Only other thing I can suggest is that your GPU might be conflicting with the M.2 port(s) or SATA6 ports ... I know on my ASUS I had to disable one of the SATA6 ports in order to get correct X16 usage from one of my PCIe slot.  The X299 should be able to run 3-way SLI at full speed X16.

And from ASUS support in order to use my slower PCIe cards I do the following (quote below):

"Go to BIOS -> Advanced -> PCH Configuration -> PCH Express Configuration -> PCIe Speed -> Gen 1(2.5 GT/s) or Gen 2G

Go to Boot -> Above 4G Decoding -> Enabled

F10 to save and shutdown.

Install the USB card to PCIEX1_1 or PCIEX1_2"

I don't know if you have any other PCIe cards installed? 

Cheers, Rob.

8 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

You disabled Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 (per video with systray icon)?  100+ FPS VC with the exact same graphics settings (and add-ons) I listed (at start of my thread) at 4K resolution?  That seems a bit too good considering your running the same CPU and GPU is effectively the same as my TitanXp ... how are you measuring/logging FPS to get that average?

Only other thing I can suggest is that your GPU might be conflicting with the M.2 port(s) or SATA6 ports ... I know on my ASUS I had to disable one of the SATA6 ports in order to get correct X16 usage from one of my PCIe slot.  The X299 should be able to run 3-way SLI at full speed X16.

Hey Rob,

Yes I did and I tried all sorts of other configuration options in the BIOS.  But nothing seems to stop the poor texture loading - without the EXP=10 confit edit.  All of my testing so far has been with no add-ones installed whatsoever and on a 1440p ultra-wide.  

I do have an M.2 but it's installed, via an Aorus card, to its own PCIE 4 slot on the board.  So shouldn't be conflicting.

I'm going to install the non-update V4 as, for some reason, I have an inclination that it may be the cause of my troubles. Will report back.

Regards,

Ady

are you shure it's only with i9 7900 and X299 ?

With a few scenery like FRance VFR 3DA (Ile de France), I meet a blurry at the middle of the flight. I ask myself if my 5960X is in fault... because other simmers havent any issue and I hav'nt any issue with other scenery like NYXV2

i9 13900K    HT off 32 Gb DDR5 @ 7.6  Ghz CL36 Asus Apex HERO Z790  W11 64 bits pro sur Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To,  DCS, P3D5 et MSFS sur 2 ème   Kingston FURY Renegade 2 To , RTX 3090 OC (GPU 2Ghz)  Alim Corsair 1500 W  Gold Ecran ACER  28 pouces  4K  G-SYNC
WC  AIO ARTIC liquid freezer II 420 Boitier Gigabyte 3d mars

7 hours ago, supersym said:

are you shure it's only with i9 7900 and X299 ?

With a few scenery like FRance VFR 3DA (Ile de France), I meet a blurry at the middle of the flight. I ask myself if my 5960X is in fault... because other simmers havent any issue and I hav'nt any issue with other scenery like NYXV2

Well, for me, this is with an untainted P3D installation - literally installed and then tested, no add-ons or anything.  It is even blurry with default graphics settings.  So I'm confident there's a problem here - I'd just love to know what's causing it.  I suspect it's Gigabyte's unique implementation of Turbo Boost.

8 hours ago, adyfoot said:

I'm going to install the non-update V4 as, for some reason, I have an inclination that it may be the cause of my troubles.

Not sure what this means, can you clarify?  Is it possible to move your M.2 Aorus card to a different PCIe slot?

I guess it could be a problem Gigabyte X299 board (seems unlikely but this is bleeding edge days), but if you're having the same issue as I was, you will see two cores pegged at 100% even when you just sit on the runway doing nothing ... have you monitored CPU activity via Task Manager?  Also, are you using a fixed frequency (i.e. disable Intel SpeedStep)?  Have you monitored CPU frequency and usage across all cores?

Last night I installed PMDG's 737, 777, and 747 and HiFi's latest ASP4 (along with other add-ons) and my flight was super smooth and all high res textures and weather as far as the eye could see (it was almost unrealistically far) and locked at my Vsync of 30Hz/30FPS ...this was with NO Overclock profile loaded, just standard clock and my standard GPU clock (so basically no OC at all) (several folks have request I do a no OC test) and using my "GA Rural Day" graphics settings that I reserve for remote locations with GA aircraft not PMDG.  I'm currently GPU limited when using 4X SSAA at 4K res (poor GPU pegs out at 100% in some cloud situations) ... poor old TitanXp:

Video, tried to focus on ground textures so you can see HT OFF and Turbo Boost OFF, all is good even with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 and a bunch of add-ons:

Cheers, Rob.

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Not sure what this means, can you clarify?  Is it possible to move your M.2 Aorus card to a different PCIe slot?

Sure, I meant I would try to install the original P3D v4 rather than the latest updated version.  I seem to recall, in the early days of testing the new build, that I didn't have these blurry issues.  So something's changed.  One thing I know has changed is the version of P3D v4 I'm installing.  Seems sensible to rule this out as a factor.

I have indeed tried moving my M.2 drive to every slot possible.  I've even taken it out of the equation completely - but the issue persists.

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I guess it could be a problem Gigabyte X299 board (seems unlikely but this is bleeding edge days), but if you're having the same issue as I was, you will see two cores pegged at 100% even when you just sit on the runway doing nothing ... have you monitored CPU activity via Task Manager?  Also, are you using a fixed frequency (i.e. disable Intel SpeedStep)?  Have you monitored CPU frequency and usage across all cores?

I think it has something to do with Gigabyte's implementation of power saving capabilities - though I have tried turning everything off, there is no option to completely disable Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 - just Legacy or Native operating modes.  Only in legacy mode do I get the Windows application where I can disable it.  But I do not see the same effects of it being enabled as you did - no core pegged at 100% or anything like that.  In Native mode, apparently Windows has the drivers built in.  But there is no application or settings mechanism that I could find. 

I've tried using a fixed frequency, using motherboard defaults, using an overclock with power savings turned on etc.  Essentially I've tried everything I can think of and am now reaching the conclusion that it must be the board.  I've tested my memory fully and no problems there and don't see how this could be graphics card related as everything else I throw at it seems perfectly fine.  Out of interest Rob, what display drivers are you using?

So I think it's RMA time (unless installing the original P3D v4 somehow fixes things).  Thanks for all of your assistance with this one - it's much appreciated!

33 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

Out of interest Rob, what display drivers are you using?

I'm using 384.76 which I believe is the most current (non-Beta) release.  My OS is a fresh new install of Win10 Pro 1703 build.

I assume you've installed all the other Motherboard chipset drivers and the like for Gigabyte?  If so, then perhaps it is time for RMA.  Sadly I can only make suggestions based on what I currently have for hardware and what my ASUS PRIME X299 Deluxe offers.

Cheers, Rob.

13 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I'm using 384.76 which I believe is the most current (non-Beta) release.  My OS is a fresh new install of Win10 Pro 1703 build.

I assume you've installed all the other Motherboard chipset drivers and the like for Gigabyte?  If so, then perhaps it is time for RMA.  Sadly I can only make suggestions based on what I currently have for hardware and what my ASUS PRIME X299 Deluxe offers.

Cheers, Rob.

Same drivers as me then.  I've been using a fresh install of Windows 10 Enterprise 1703 but I doubt that will be of any significance?

I have indeed installed all other drivers as available from the Gigabyte website.  I think RMA it is.  The impatient person in me wants to buy the PRIME X299 Deluxe but I think I'll wait for the Rampage VI Extreme or Apex and their improved VRM cooling capabilities.  I also don't like the white all over the PRIME board - my current theme is red and it'll clash :biggrin:

18 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

I've been using a fresh install of Windows 10 Enterprise 1703 but I doubt that will be of any significance?

The only reason I went with Win 10 Pro this time (I was on Enterprise) is due to how Windows Updates are delivered in a more timely fashion for Pro.

One last item to check is your Power settings for the OS ... are you operating in "Performance" mode?  The OS is supposed to be responsible for triggering the appropriate power state based on load.

Cheers, Rob.

17 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

The only reason I went with Win 10 Pro this time (I was on Enterprise) is due to how Windows Updates are delivered in a more timely fashion for Pro.

One last item to check is your Power settings for the OS ... are you operating in "Performance" mode?  The OS is supposed to be responsible for triggering the appropriate power state based on load.

Cheers, Rob.

Yup - and I went with Enterprise to avoid too many updates :cool:

I have indeed got power set to High Performance.  Seems I've done everything right so RMA it is.

I thought there were some other folks on here with i9 7900X chips on X299 - I assume, from the silence, that nobody else has had any issues....?