Sign in to follow this  

i9 7900X vs. i7 5960X - P3D V4 performance results 85% FPS increase

11 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

I've I've spent the last few days now trying all sorts of different combinations of BIOS settings, drivers and even versions of P3D (v3.4 and both versions of v4 - with and without the update) and, in every case, I cannot shift this blurry texture problem.

FYI, the 6950X uses the same Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology.  But I can understand your frustrations as I've been there many times over the decades ... are you sure you don't want to try the ASUS PRIME X299 DELUXE that I'm using?  It did have a couple of quirks that I've since resolved and to my amazement it's managing to power all 36 of my USB devices (GoFlight and various controllers) without any signs of power cycling at 4.8 to 5.0Ghz.  You'll also get better single core performance out of the 7900X at same clock speeds as 6950X.  Also think you'll have a hard time getting the 6950X to 4.8-5.0Ghz.

As far as I can tell the ASUS Rampage VI Extreme actually has fewer features than my PRIME X299 DELUXE (less PCIe slots and less SATA ports) https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME/

Since I'm frequently changing components, I have a drain valve for each loop (GPU/CPU) and use a spare pump to suck all the coolant out of the loop (doesn't need priming).  I also have a separate 5V and 12V power unit  Just fill from the top where my radiators are (they lay horizontal as do all my components) when ready to test for leaks.  Allows me to save the coolant with no mess/spillage and re-use since coolant is HIGHLY toxic (just one drop ingested can kill a child or pet) and requires special disposal procedures (aka drive to waste management location).

Cheers, Rob.

41 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

FYI, the 6950X uses the same Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology.  But I can understand your frustrations as I've been there many times over the decades ... are you sure you don't want to try the ASUS PRIME X299 DELUXE that I'm using?  It did have a couple of quirks that I've since resolved and to my amazement it's managing to power all 36 of my USB devices (GoFlight and various controllers) without any signs of power cycling at 4.8 to 5.0Ghz.  You'll also get better single core performance out of the 7900X at same clock speeds as 6950X.  Also think you'll have a hard time getting the 6950X to 4.8-5.0Ghz.

As far as I can tell the ASUS Rampage VI Extreme actually has fewer features than my PRIME X299 DELUXE (less PCIe slots and less SATA ports) https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-VI-EXTREME/

Since I'm frequently changing components, I have a drain valve for each loop (GPU/CPU) and use a spare pump to suck all the coolant out of the loop (doesn't need priming).  I also have a separate 5V and 12V power unit  Just fill from the top where my radiators are (they lay horizontal as do all my components) when ready to test for leaks.  Allows me to save the coolant with no mess/spillage and re-use since coolant is HIGHLY toxic (just one drop ingested can kill a child or pet) and requires special disposal procedures (aka drive to waste management location).

Cheers, Rob.

It does indeed Rob but, then again, so did my 6850K and I never had issues with blurries with that.  I honestly believe the issues are specific to the Gigabyte implementation.  I could go for the same board as you but it's the white that puts me off - sounds silly but the entire rest of my build is black and red focused and it'll just look really odd.  Shouldn't be the basis on which to decide these things but, in all honesty, I'm just weary of X299 now and want some stability.  Using X99, even if I don't get the same overclock, will at least give me stability.  I'm reasonably confident I'll get similar performance as you on my 1440p ultrawide with the 6950X.  Time will tell :)

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

On 2017-07-15 at 0:27 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

ASUS PRIME X299 DELUXE, memory is 4 X 8GB G.Skill F4-4266C19D-16GTZR and I'm using it's XMP profile.

No problems running at 5Ghz, still testing out AffinityMask settings, getting some strange results for AM on the 7900X.  So far no AM  (aka all 10/20) seems to be the best.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob,, I'm way behind at 4770k 4.3 stable... looking very interesting , thank you for the update. Is it really necessary to change the AM when you are seeing those speeds or are you only achieving them because your are revising the stock/built in settings? ...Cheers Pete

Hi Pete,

For my case, no AM and HT OFF seems to work best in terms of consistency in frame rates ... my target is always 30 FPS to match my monitors refresh rate of 30Hz.

Cheers, Rob.

@Rob Ainscough The Rampage V Edition 10 and 6950X arrived and I put the system together through today.  I can get 4.4GHz out of it which, whilst lower than the 4.6GHz I ran the 7900X is really not that much.  Going to install P3D tomorrow so will report back.  Hopefully no blurries!

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

5 hours ago, adyfoot said:

Going to install P3D tomorrow so will report back.

Please do, although I still think you should have tried a different motherboard before giving up on the 7900X.

Cheers, Rob.

6 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I still think you should have tried a different motherboard before giving up on the 7900X.

Yes I could've done but it was a case of not wanting to sit without a computer whilst waiting for the Rampage VI to come out.  Then, secondarily, I didn't want to go through the teething problem stage of a new board.  Only now, around a year following its release, has the Rampage V properly stabilised through BIOS updates.

Next time, I'll not be an early adopter.  The 6950X will service me for a few years 😀

On 21/07/2017 at 4:25 AM, adyfoot said:

I could go for the same board as you but it's the white that puts me off -

You could go for the Strix X299 a bit more $ but the colour is better for you - All black pretty much.

A.Chryss - near YSCB

1. ASUS ROG STRIX X299 i9-7900X (delid - 4.9Ghz All Cores), EK 420x45 RAD, D5 Pump, EK monoblok, 32GBs GSkill 3600MHz ram 1T, Gig Aorus GTX1080Ti (2075Mhz), SSung 970 Evo 2TB & 1Tb & 960Evo 500GB NVMe, 2xSSDs. XBox controller for camera views. - Flight sims

2. ASUS ROG STRIX X570 Ryzen 3900X - 4.3Ghz (12 cores) Corsair H115i, Gig 2080Ti OC, 32MHz ram 2x 970EVO 1TBNVME  3x ssd etc.  P3D v4.5 & v5, XP11 & DCS. 43"-4k + 27"-2k monitors & tablets. Warthog controllers, Honeycomb Yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, TrackIR . - Games server

1 hour ago, adyfoot said:

Yes I could've done but it was a case of not wanting to sit without a computer whilst waiting for the Rampage VI to come out.  Then, secondarily, I didn't want to go through the teething problem stage of a new board.  Only now, around a year following its release, has the Rampage V properly stabilised through BIOS updates.

Next time, I'll not be an early adopter.  The 6950X will service me for a few years 😀

Speaking as one who is more than content with his Rampage V Extreme / i7-5960x combo I think your decision is a wise one. Using Ai Suite III (the updated version, link supplied on the ASUS Forums, and not the version offered under 'Driver and Tools'), my processor has managed a stable overclock with HT=ON of 4.7GHz with excellent voltage control. Temps (monitored with Core Temp) using CPU water cooling never rise above 70C (68C is the highest noted).

My RVE is using BIOS v.3504 (not the latest). In P3D3 and P3D4 I am employing an Affinity Mask of 21845 which, effectively, runs the 5960x on 8 Cores (closely equivalent to HT=OFF). I lock at 31fps and Performance is very smooth without blurries and stuttering. I have all the currently available ORBX stuff for P3D4, including the recently re-released Vector. 

I have a lot to thank Rob for as his build, fully documented here in 2015, stimulated my somewhat heroic decision to go down a very similar route. However, on this occasion, there is simply no pressing necessity to start over. Heck I'm still on Windows 7 Pro 64bit and couldn't be happier!

Mike

@Cruachan Thanks very much for your feedback.  I've so far managed to get a very stable 4.4GHz out of the 6950X at 1.38 volts.  The DIP system managed the same but was putting a whopping 1.5 volts on the CPU!  With my manual overclock I can keep temps broadly below 70 degrees with HT off and a teeny bit hotter with it on.  Unfortunately I have a rogue core that gets hot whilst the overs hover around the 55-65 region.  

I am just going through the process of getting the OS setup and will then be looking P3D.  Can't wait to see it without blurries this time!

1 hour ago, adyfoot said:

@Cruachan Thanks very much for your feedback.  I've so far managed to get a very stable 4.4GHz out of the 6950X at 1.38 volts.  The DIP system managed the same but was putting a whopping 1.5 volts on the CPU!  With my manual overclock I can keep temps broadly below 70 degrees with HT off and a teeny bit hotter with it on.  Unfortunately I have a rogue core that gets hot whilst the overs hover around the 55-65 region.  

I am just going through the process of getting the OS setup and will then be looking P3D.  Can't wait to see it without blurries this time!

1.38 volts?! You guys like to live on the edge. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

My voltages vary from 1.28 - 1.31 when overclocked and, if I recall correctly, around 0.8v while idling.

Stability after establishing a stable overclock has been assumed from the several weeks of general use under widely varying conditions rather than formally over-stressing the chip artificially. Why punish the cores needlessly and risk curtailing their lifespan and reliability? Just isn't necessary when you have Apps like Prepar3D to challenge the components and circuitry :biggrin:

Mind you, I do use benchmarking software like RealBench, 3DMark Firestrike and the Unigine offerings from time to time to confirm all is well.

I suspect I may have been fortunate in the silicon lottery. Time will tell, of course. Previous versions of DIP5 couldn't get me any higher than 4.4GHz with HT=OFF, the option was not presented in the GUI. However, the updated version seems to work differently and increases the overclock by incremental amounts until it fails. It then falls back to the last stable multiplier frequency - in my case it achieved 100x47 which was unexpected, but quite pleasing :)

I regard this as being the best of both worlds, I can use the Affinity Mask to restrict the number of LPs reserved for exclusive use by Prepar3D versions 3&4 to 8, which seems to be plenty, while allowing everything else, including the operating system via the Windows Scheduler to exploit the availability of all 16 LPs. I include AF2, X-Plane 11 as well as stuff like Witcher 3, Skyrim, Elite Dangerous/Horizons, Project Cars and GTA 5. All run great with high frame rates. For the foreseeable future I see no requirement for a 10 core CPU. Doubtless this may change; until then why 'worry' needlessly?

Regards,

Mike

Well, with some further testing, I've actually managed to get 4.5GHz out of it at 1.4v which, contrary to the earlier poster, is not too bad for these chips.  Temps don't get as far as 80c under a 15 minute stress test which is absolutely awesome - it is on a hi-end custom loop though.  I have purchased the Intel over locking warranty just to be on the safe side!

Performance in P3D is outstanding so far! I'm using an ultra-wide 1440p G-Sync display and may just swap over to my 4K Sony TV at 30hz see how it goes locked at 30.  Problem is that I use my pc for more than P3D and it's difficult to do work and other things on a TV screen.

10 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

contrary to the earlier poster, is not too bad for these chips.

Uh, yes it is. 1.4v and you are far into silicone degradation territory. The 6950X, like the 5960x and many others like it, are only recommended to be run at 1.3v, roughly, for every day usage. Anything above that and you start to put the silicone at risk. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

25 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Uh, yes it is. 1.4v and you are far into silicone degradation territory. The 6950X, like the 5960x and many others like it, are only recommended to be run at 1.3v, roughly, for every day usage. Anything above that and you start to put the silicone at risk. 

Well ASUS recommend 1.38v for 4.4GHz.  On what basis are you saying it is too much?  Because, and forgive me, but I'm more inclined to go with what a motherboard manufacturer says.  I also believe that @Rob Ainscough also had to put a lot of voltage through his 5960X and it did perfectly well.