Rob Ainscough

i9 7900X vs. i7 5960X - P3D V4 performance results 85% FPS increase

Rate this topic

242 posts in this topic

I must admit these results seem almost to good to be true, but I double checked and verified -- perhaps there was something wrong with my P3D V4 installation on my 5960X but my test flight was visually identical on both systems.

Graphics configuration files and scenario file is here.

Add-ons used:

Orbx FTX Global
Orbx Freeware EU Airports
Orbx OpenLC EU
Orbx OpenLC NA
Orbx Trees
FSUIPC5
Aircraft is the default A36
Location EGFF - RWY 12 loop (Left Hand Pattern)

There were other add-ons installed but not being used, ASP4/ASCA, FSDT GSX, FSFX Packages, UTLive (set to 0 AI), RAAS Pro 64bit (disabled for aircraft)

5960X fraps data (raw csv data) avg. 28 FPS

uc?id=0Bw0Q-fAfEZwycUFhdlBtbFl1Ykk

7900X fraps data (raw csv data) avg. 52 FPS

uc?id=0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyTFE2ZmJNS1lyMkk

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for posting.

Impressive improvement. It won't be long before I update my hardware. Nice to see the new Intel offerings are doing the job.

I don't see what graphics card you are using...I'm guessing a nvida 10xx?

Might be related to the architecture update? I mean, the 5960X is based on the Haswell architecture and the 7900X is based on the newer Skylake Architecture?

This really sounds to good to be true Rob.

Only if you delete your 5960 P3D setup and reinstall it all you will know for sure..

If this is true and nothing was wrong with your old installation...then we will have a very interesting topic to follow!

Again, wife doesn't like this, wallet doesn't like this, credit card doesn't like this, paypal doesn't like this...the list goes on...

Hoang Le

I had similar results as Rob using a 7700k (5.1ghz) coming from a 4770k (4.7ghz)... I'm also using a Titan X pascal SLI config... Maybe the RAM speed has its share (32gb running at 3866mhz). Regarding the settings difference: water and shadows in high and using dynamic light and lens flare... texture 2048 and texture_size_exp=9 (I like faster loading times)... I'm also using UT2 Live (85% comercial - 85% general) and same addons. Flying from Lax (Orbx SOCal) with a2a 172 gives me mid 30s to mid 40s from the VC and better frames (stay between 40 - 50) from the outside view.... in remote areas like CAG4 (Orbx PNW) I get even 100+ from the outside view... I think I'm going to uninstall P3D v3... :)

Well, this could change my plans :huh: 

Thanks for posting this. I hope nothing was wrong with previous P3D installation

Well, he's posted the settings and the scenario, so let's give him some more results to compare to, to see if it really is this good! I'll run the same scenario with my lowly 3930K/1080ti setup and post back my results. I mean, it would be amazing if it really was giving this kind of performance and i'd def be looking at one if it's anywhere near this good!

Thanks for posting as ever Rob..

Rob, 

Excellent results - can you check with some major addons as stress test - Orbx California Regions with KLAX and PMDG 777 (or something similar) with AI and scenery set to max (or close to it).  I would like to see the stress results.

Thanks

I tested using his files and graphic settings.  I'm running a 7700K at 4.5 with a 1080ti on 4K monitor at 60hz.  I usually only run 30hz so this is not my usual way to run the sim.  I usually run quite a bit lower settings as I'm a tube flyer so I don't need all the autogen etc at FL390.

According to a FRAPS avg test: 

48 fps average with no AM and HT on.

49 fps average with 245 AM and HT on.

Just for fun I used the PMDG 747 in the same situation and had an avg of 37 fps.