Sign in to follow this  

i9 7900X vs. i7 5960X - P3D V4 performance results 85% FPS increase

In the video der8auer (germanys best overclocker) gets to 4.9 GHz with the Asus board (better VRM cooling) and the Corsair Aio watercooler. I think that's pretty good. 

On 7/14/2017 at 3:42 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

I must admit these results seem almost to good to be true, but I double checked and verified -- perhaps there was something wrong with my P3D V4 installation on my 5960X but my test flight was visually identical on both systems.

Graphics configuration files and scenario file is here.

Add-ons used:

Orbx FTX Global
Orbx Freeware EU Airports
Orbx OpenLC EU
Orbx OpenLC NA
Orbx Trees
FSUIPC5
Aircraft is the default A36
Location EGFF - RWY 12 loop (Left Hand Pattern)

There were other add-ons installed but not being used, ASP4/ASCA, FSDT GSX, FSFX Packages, UTLive (set to 0 AI), RAAS Pro 64bit (disabled for aircraft)

5960X fraps data (raw csv data) avg. 28 FPS

uc?id=0Bw0Q-fAfEZwycUFhdlBtbFl1Ykk

7900X fraps data (raw csv data) avg. 52 FPS

uc?id=0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyTFE2ZmJNS1lyMkk

To the OP  what motherboard are you using   Pete

6 hours ago, pkofman said:

To the OP  what motherboard are you using

ASUS PRIME X299 DELUXE, memory is 4 X 8GB G.Skill F4-4266C19D-16GTZR and I'm using it's XMP profile.

No problems running at 5Ghz, still testing out AffinityMask settings, getting some strange results for AM on the 7900X.  So far no AM  (aka all 10/20) seems to be the best.

Cheers, Rob.

5 ghz on all cores? That's nice. Gotta have a look at the VRM temps. 

Gratulations to a nice new system @Rob Ainscough

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

ASUS PRIME X299 DELUXE, memory is 4 X 8GB G.Skill F4-4266C19D-16GTZR and I'm using it's XMP profile.

No problems running at 5Ghz, still testing out AffinityMask settings, getting some strange results for AM on the 7900X.  So far no AM  (aka all 10/20) seems to be the best.

Cheers, Rob.

That RAM run dual channel rather than quad @Rob Ainscough?

Unforunately my 7900X will only get to 4.7GHz stable. Still, that's better than 4.3GHz that my 6850K could do!! 

Incidentally, what temps are you getting with your custom loop? My CPU uses 1.27v for 4.7GHz and, with HT on under RealBench, it reaches 94C at its hottest point. That's with a custom loop also.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

9 hours ago, swiesma said:

5 ghz on all cores?

Yes, but temps get over 80C in P3D V4 even on my dual loop setup with 480 rad 60mm thick 4 fans.  So I'm currently running at 4.8Ghz - maybe if I move up to a water chiller setup, but for now I'd like to stay 80C or less.

9 hours ago, adyfoot said:

That RAM run dual channel rather than quad

Yes, this RAM is running quad (73590MB/s read and 72484MB/s write according to AIDA64).  The motherboard supports quad or dual for X series 6 core or higher it's quad (assuming correct slot placement for quad operation).

Ran some more tests at 4.8Ghz after installing FS Global 2018 FTX Ultimate and to my surprise FPS went up a little from 52 FPS avg. to 57 FPS average (identical to prior test with the exception of adding FS Global):

Fraps raw data (CSV file)

uc?id=0Bw0Q-fAfEZwyY2hwMmZmRHBkS2M

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,when running your 5960 at 4.5-4.7 Ghz and 7900 at 4.7-4.8 Ghz how is the difference then ? That would be daily P3D use situation.

regards, Gerard

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hi Gerard,

The original two tests where done with 5960X at 4.6Ghz (no AM) and the 7900X at 4.6Ghz (no AM) ... the FS Global test the 7900X was at 4.8Ghz(no AM) - so not an exact apples to apples, but close, perhaps that explains the 5 FPS.

I'm also still testing with AffinityMask settings and I seem to be encountering some type of terrain loading contention that is causing terrain blurries (low quality textures) ... if I change the AM on the fly, it clears the thread contention and the terrain tiles clear up and load high res textures (I've reported to LM).  I'm pretty sure it's thread contention on fast high core count CPUs.

Video of the issue (probably need to view in 4K to see terrain textures change):

Still experimenting with AM.

Cheers, Rob.

28 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I'm also still testing with AffinityMask settings and I seem to be encountering some type of terrain loading contention that is causing terrain blurries (low quality textures) ... if I change the AM on the fly, it clears the thread contention and the terrain tiles clear up and load high res textures (I've reported to LM).  I'm pretty sure it's thread contention on fast high core count CPUs.

Video of the issue (probably need to view in 4K to see terrain textures change):

Still experimenting with AM.

Cheers, Rob.

Now that's interesting Rob! I've been struggling with this - even with a fresh install and no add-ons, I get blurry textures. I've tried all sorts and can't fix it - but will try changing AM on the fly and see if it fixes.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

I also noticed this and I only have 4 physical and 4 HT running. I am also running an AM to leave core 0 open to other programs. I don't think this is just an X or an i9 problem.

Rob, do you reckon it's straight single-core speed over the 5960x, all the cores, the newer platform, or something else that's the reason behind this significant increase?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

1 hour ago, KenG said:

I also noticed this and I only have 4 physical and 4 HT running. I am also running an AM to leave core 0 open to other programs. I don't think this is just an X or an i9 problem.

But I've never had this on a clean install with high-end components.  I think, in my case, there's a problem with the Gigabyte X299 BIOS as there lots of stability issues.  I'm going to return the board and wait for the ASUS Rampage VI Extreme.  Until then, back to my trusty X99 and 6850K.

17 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

if I change the AM on the fly, it clears the thread contention and the terrain tiles clear up and load high res textures (I've reported to LM).  I'm pretty sure it's thread contention on fast high core count CPUs.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob that old trick has been around for ages (at least a year) going back all the way to v3 and it happens on a four core always has. Kicking the threads like that only works temporarily. Not sure about HT. There would be at least three people I know of on Avsim that have noticed this over a long time.

2 hours ago, glider1 said:

Rob that old trick has been around for ages (at least a year) going back all the way to v3

Interesting, V4 is the first time I've encountered this problem, I didn't have the problem in V3 but I also didn't run a 10/20 CPU.  I also noticed it during V4 beta on my 8/16 CPU, but the issue went away so I didn't pursue it.  V4 build 21486 didn't have this problem until recently ... removing a core affinity "on the fly" tells me with 99% certain that demonstrates a thread contention issue (primarily because the terrain loading clears resolves the problem), but why when I didn't have this issue early in my 7900X testing?

Nothing is showing up in any error logs, OS nor P3D's logs.

I need to try to find the cause as P3D loads times are now measured in the 10-20mins (without any TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP settings ... from what used to be 1-2 mins just a few days ago) and seems to vary in length of time based on the AffinityMask I'm using with a worse case of over 4+ hrs to load terrain data ... the ONLY change between tests was the AM value.  Something has gone amiss ... I'll delete the scenery indexes (they'll get rebuilt) and see if that makes any difference.

It's definitely NOT hardware related, I've tested several other games and 3rd shooters and they're all working extremely well, very fast, very fluid and look great.

I'll also try disabling HT in the BIOS and test again.

I'll report back if I find anything significant.

Cheers, Rob.

16 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

... removing a core affinity "on the fly"

Cheers, Rob.

How can that be done if I may ask?

is there a special software to use, or can we edit CFG file while P3D is running?

Best regards.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.