kityatyi

Maximum range

That is it, a mistake in the info text.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

4 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

Looks like PMDG might have made a mistake then. Either way it's pretty irrelevant. As I said, they modelled the DC-6 as close as possible to the one they had access to.

BTW, you can't say "without pointing fingers" and "PMDG...... the performance info text is wrong" in the same sentence, since the latter half of the sentence directly points the finger at PMDG getting it wrong. FYI only.

Okay, I have taken the general DC-6 info (which is a theoretical value) into the performance text and the PMDG aircraft has 8 tanks only. By that and about 2000 lb/hr and taking 1 hour reserve you can fly 9 hrs. That gives you a true range of 2115 nm. 

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

11 minutes ago, metzgergva said:

Okay, I have taken the general DC-6 info (which is a theoretical value) into the performance text and the PMDG aircraft has 8 tanks only. By that and about 2000 lb/hr and taking 1 hour reserve you can fly 9 hrs. That gives you a true range of 2115 nm. 

I don't get what your point is here? You've quoted me saying it looks like PMDG have made a mistake with their description, what are you serving to prove with this? And further, what do you want me to do about it?

Off topic but your testing methodology isn't very scientific. You're comparing theoretical values with a calculation done from very rough assumptions and are then shocked that they're different?

8 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

I don't get what your point is here? You've quoted me saying it looks like PMDG have made a mistake with their description, what are you serving to prove with this? And further, what do you want me to do about it?

Off topic but your testing methodology isn't very scientific. You're comparing theoretical values with a calculation done from very rough assumptions and are then shocked that they're different?

All I did was recognizing that the 4000 nm that I, as a developer, put into the line on performance was a general value. I will correct that in an update...

I then related it to a simple calculation on actual performance data which are correct and very close matched by the modelling.

For proper flight calculations you can use the performance data delivered by the manual.

Happy flying!
Alexander M. Metzger

19 minutes ago, metzgergva said:

All I did was recognizing that the 4000 nm that I, as a developer, put into the line on performance was a general value. I will correct that in an update...

I then related it to a simple calculation on actual performance data which are correct and very close matched by the modelling.

For proper flight calculations you can use the performance data delivered by the manual.

Ah okay no problem my apologies, I didn't know what you where you were going with your post.

As Alexander noted, it'll be fixed when we send out the next update.

All the same...a lot of effort was put into debating an informational line that has no bearing on anything, really. The performance of the plane is not at all affected, and nobody should be planning flights based on some notional value of max range.

Yeah, it's wrong...but in the end, was it really worth all of this extra debate over a line that has no influence on the product itself?

Kyle Rodgers

2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

As Alexander noted, it'll be fixed when we send out the next update.

All the same...a lot of effort was put into debating an informational line that has no bearing on anything, really. The performance of the plane is not at all affected, and nobody should be planning flights based on some notional value of max range.

Yeah, it's wrong...but in the end, was it really worth all of this extra debate over a line that has no influence on the product itself?

You're right, it wasn't worth it. Hopefully no harm done.

Thanks for the clarification.

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

Now that we know what is the situation regarding the maximum range I can't help but express my desire how cool it would be if in the future PMDG released an expansion pack with the longer range 10-tank variant... :-)

• Upvote 4

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

18 hours ago, downscc said:

I never think of my range in terms of miles, it is always limited by time.

Remembering my Navy navigation training... pesky little things like altitude and wind tend to affect us!  Plus only one of them stays constant, and THAT isn't really true either!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

8 hours ago, kityatyi said:

Now that we know what is the situation regarding the maximum range I can't help but express my desire how cool it would be if in the future PMDG released an expansion pack with the longer range 10-tank variant... :-)

They can't make what they don't have access to.

Random question PMDG777 - but are you an official member of the PMDG Support staff or just a guy offering opinions based on educated guesses?

Just curious

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

Random question PMDG777 - but are you an official member of the PMDG Support staff or just a guy offering opinions based on educated guesses?

Just curious

The latter :)

3 minutes ago, AirCanada235 said:

Okay thanks

The only guys on here that are official PMDG are marked by "Commercial Member". There are a few of the PMDG beta testers on here but I think they all have a beta banner in their signature. Alex Metzger is the only dev I've come across that doesn't conform to either of these, but a quick look in the list on the DC-6 and he should be there (I think he does the flight dynamics?).