jjf

Fuelling and stabiliser setting

Recommended Posts

Hello,

On stand at CYVR fuelling for a trip to RCTP. Planned fuel load was ~154,000 kg, and I was using ground services for fuelling. Ground contacted to inform me that, for this fuel loading to start, the stabiliser needed to be set to 6, and I followed his request to pressurise hydraulics 2&3 and then I set stabiliser to 6 as requested, and the captain's voice confirmed it was set to 6, then I depressurised 2&3 hydraulics. After a couple of minutes he requested the same thing, even though the stabiliser was set to 6 already, and fuelling did not commence. Not sure what I did wrong though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

51 minutes ago, jjf said:

After a couple of minutes he requested the same thing, even though the stabiliser was set to 6 already, and fuelling did not commence. Not sure what I did wrong though.

You sure you set it at 6 or below, and it wasn't sitting at just above 6?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Ground contacted to inform me that, for this fuel loading to start, the stabiliser needed to be set to 6, and I followed his request to pressurise hydraulics 2&3 and then I set stabiliser to 6 as requested, and the captain's voice confirmed it was set to 6, then I depressurised 2&3 hydraulics.


According to my training notes, on earlier 744's, the stabiliser must be between 5 and 7 units. On later aircraft the stabiliser position sensing switches were removed and fuelling could be carried out with the horizontal stabiliser at any angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

According to my training notes, on earlier 744's, the stabiliser must be between 5 and 7 units. On later aircraft the stabiliser position sensing switches were removed and fuelling could be carried out with the horizontal stabiliser at any angle.

I thought that setting ensured that the maximum amount of fuel could be carried in the stab trim tank, why remove the sensors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

You sure you set it at 6 or below, and it wasn't sitting at just above 6?

Yes, sure it was 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2017 at 7:48 AM, tcas_climb said:

I thought that setting ensured that the maximum amount of fuel could be carried in the stab trim tank, why remove the sensors?

Why indeed :D

My notes didn't say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

Why indeed :D

My notes didn't say.

It was determined, after a few delays due to switch failure, and a bit more 744 operational service experience, that the hori stab position, including outside of 5 or 7 units, had no affect on FQIS accuracy during refuelling. For these two reasons, the stab fuelling lockout circuit was deactivated/removed. The mod was offered to operators in the 90's with no time limit to incorporate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now