Sign in to follow this  
Guest IFC2

Will Ground Environment make BEV obsolete?

Don't know detailed facts, but will Peter Wilding's upcoming Ground Environment make Birds Eye View completely obsolete? Or is it some kind of enhancement to BEV? Or should I uninstall BEV afterwards for best results?I'm glad I have BEV, but will buy Ground Environment for sure, maybe I can prepare somehow... Andreas

Guest allcott

Why would it? It's only in the REAL world that you have to settle for what you see - more choice is only a good thing, surely? BEV didn't render FScene redundant. FScene didn't lessen the impact of Lennart Arvidssons textures, did it?Besides, BEV have yet to complete even the Americas, and GE promises to be global enhancement. For the majority of simmers who DON'T fly in the USA most of the time what use is BEV? What is really nice is the option to decide what textures to use.Allcott

Guest jennifer

Yes I have to agree. It's better to have a choice of ground textures from various 'artists', as each is, after all only an interpretation of reality. Make your mind up which best does the job for you. As Alcott points out, those of us who don't do most of our flying in the USA have aren't even yet served by BEV. I am a fan of Lennart's and use his wherever possible. Check out these screenshots for what I think is a faithful interpretation of Northern Europe:http://www.flightsim.no/home/textureart/Swedtex/Scantex.htm. Absolutely stunning!

What a silly question. There is no this or that only, many don't have any default replacments.I know I won't be getting GE.If YOU have BEV on YOUR system and then YOU get GE, then yes, it will make BEV obsolete on YOUR system.Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

They do the same thing, so yes, you can only have one active. It will have to be a matter of personal preference which one you decide to use. There's no "technical" difference between the two, the difference is in the artistic style and features such as control panels etc.But neither will make the other obsolete. Competition is a good thing, lowers prices, forces the developers to increase quality even further etc. Look what happened to Fscene after BEV was released, they were forced to increase the accuracy of the autogen to remain competetive. Maybe we'll get free updates for BEV now, to make up for any advantages the newer GE might have ;)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest IFC2

Hi All,well, I think what Jennifer said is right on the mark, the choice is simply yours.I have been fortunate enough to be able to be included in the testing of Peter and Anthony's GE, it will indeed be a Global Package, with All Seasons catered for, No Generic Tiles used here or there.in fact, they even went to the trouble of making specific textures for places such as Europe, Spain, France etc, as they are very different from other parts of the world, again, No Texture Aliasing here either.all I can say at the moment is WoW , as I am tied to a NDA. but, I think that you will be Pleasantly Surprised, and Very Impressed at what you will get from this package.there is also an Up-Date coming out later for FE (Flight Environment) by the same author, for those of you that, like me, have this package, you will also be pleasantly impressed by the latest cloud / water etc textures included in this.all the best,by the way Michael, I thought that you're reply was a bit harsh,

Guest jennifer

IFC wrote:...all I can say at the moment is WoW , as I am tied to a NDA. but, I think that you will be Pleasantly Surprised, and Very Impressed at what you will get from this package...."I'm fan of Peter Wilding's style, his Flight Enviroment is superb, a true texture artist, and I have every expectation that his ground stuff will be up to the mark. Look forward to it and the upgrade of FE too.

Guest Peter Wilding

Thanks for the question Andreas.Our new Ground Textures package, Ground Environment, won't make BEV obsolete.If you already have BEV then all you do is decide what components of BEV or GE you want to use. By this I mean it maybe that you like GE for Europe all season, or USA for all seasons? It maybe that you like BEV best for Fall or Summer for USA and GE for Spring or winter?What won't work though is mixing and matching the two products.You will have to decide which product to install or "switch" each time you fly. What won't work at all is trying to make a hybrid set as our textures and bEV textures just won't look good together.Thanks to all the support here and thanks in particular to Michale J who inspired Anthony and I to produce this package some months ago with his keen eye for details and challanging us to do better.http://members.home.nl/vos69/Peter

Guest JDKL

I have BEV and love it, but I am also looking forward to using GE - only a few more days to wait.Ed

f you already have BEV then all you do is decide what components of BEV or GE you want to use. By this I mean it maybe that you like GE for Europe all season, or USA for all seasons? It maybe that you like BEV best for Fall or Summer for USA and GE for Spring or winter?What won't work though is mixing and matching the two products.That brings up a question. Some of BEV's textures currently enhance other parts of the world, since they happen to use the same texture. (Filename). If one chooses to use BEV for USA, and GE for the rest of the world, how is GE (or BEV) going to handle this. Does GE put everything in it's own scenery folder, or like BEV into the Worldscenery folder? This is one of the things, I have always been a bit leary of in regards to these global scenery replacement packages, is the possible conflicts between multiple packages, or even FS itself, if MS should release an update to it. Admit, not likely now since MS announced FSX is on the way!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest allcott

>f you already have BEV then all you do is decide what>components of BEV or GE you want to use. By this I mean it>maybe that you like GE for Europe all season, or USA for all>seasons? It maybe that you like BEV best for Fall or Summer>for USA and GE for Spring or winter?>>What won't work though is mixing and matching the two>products.>>That brings up a question. Some of BEV's textures currently>enhance other parts of the world, since they happen to use the>same texture. (Filename). If one chooses to use BEV for USA,>and GE for the rest of the world, how is GE (or BEV) going to>handle this. Does GE put everything in it's own scenery>folder, or like BEV into the Worldscenery folder? This is one>of the things, I have always been a bit leary of in regards to>these global scenery replacement packages, is the possible>conflicts between multiple packages, or even FS itself, if MS>should release an update to it. Admit, not likely now since MS>announced FSX is on the way!!That's a fundamental misunderstanding. These are not SCENERY elements. They are TEXTURES. All one needs to do is create a couple of duplicate Texture folders called Texture.BEV and Texture.GE and then simply switch between the two as necessary by renaming to `Texture` I have a small batch already: Default, Bluesphere, Arvidsson, Fscene, and BEV, all of which are `pure` (i.e default plus the one replacement set) as well as a combo texture folder where I mix'n'match or experiment between them all. You do NOT create scenery folders just for textures!Allcott

Guest Peter Wilding

I understand what you guys are saying and the questions but I would not say it's a fundamental misunderstanding by some. It's a vailid question.The reason why mixing and matching textures will not work is simple. Take for example the tile number 24's which are a blue spruce type forest class. BEV and ourselves use these tiles to enhance the USA but the fact is Europe and everwhere uses these tiles so though it may be called a USA Summer texture enchancement it affects the whole world.Lots of tiles or textures affect the whole world and in particalur the green stuff and rocks and rurals. For example Europe textutures, in part, are used in Asia.The reason why it won't work to mix and match is down to colour shifts or differences and texture styles.When we did first our textures in the more photo real style that we used we found remaining default FS9 textures not yet done fitted our look like chalk and cheese. It looked horrible. It was only once eveything was done it looked as we intended. We found that only a 1% #### in colour can make a texture look unbalanced next to other textures not the same balance. It maybe that in some cases some people may find it works with other textures but it is not something we think is a good idea. Besides which, we have gone to great lenghts to make our textures work as one complete package so really it's something you will have to try to find out if you are going to like the look we have produced.Thanks again for all the support and votes of confidence. We are looking good for a release next Friday.

Hi JenniferLennart`s textures look like a good fit for New Zealand too. I loved his work back on FS2000, looks like Lennart is back!CheersJames