Sign in to follow this  
Bill Alderson

Probably a Dumb Question....

Recommended Posts

I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything pertaining to my question:  Why are there eight throttles for four engines?  Just asking. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The mid pedestal is just to wide to reach over from both seats, so they are mechanically linked so that each pilot can use them. 

Typically during take-off and initial climb the PF is holding his hands on the ones next to him while the FE is using the the other set for fine tuning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, metzgergva said:

The mid pedestal is just to wide to reach over from both seats, so they are mechanically linked so that each pilot can use them. 

Typically during take-off and initial climb the PF is holding his hands on the ones next to him while the FE is using the the other set for fine tuning.

Thanks Alex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bill Alderson said:

I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything pertaining to my question:  Why are there eight throttles for four engines?  Just asking. ;)

 

Not a dumb question.  I recall the Lockheed C-141 Starlifter had a set of throttles for each pilot for the same reason.  I'm sure engineering had to go around and around with cost control to justify those so might seem trivial but not at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, downscc said:

Not a dumb question.  I recall the Lockheed C-141 Starlifter had a set of throttles for each pilot for the same reason.  I'm sure engineering had to go around and around with cost control to justify those so might seem trivial but not at all.

Much obliged Mr. Downs.  I'm sure engineering probably didn't have as hard a time selling the idea of throttles for both pilots that they would have in today's market since most things back then were pretty much over-engineered anyway and the heck with the cost. ;)  Which pretty much speaks for the longevity of these aircraft.

Thanks again for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this