Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

Stuttering/High Speed Web Connections

Having recently switched to high speed web, I found one cause of stuttering--keeping my high speed web connection active while flying MSFS. Doing so, I found a regular stutter every few seconds in the sim would appear at times. If I suspend my cable modem and leave it suspended throughout the flight, life is smooth (well, as smooth as my little ol' PC can give me).Something I've noticed by watching Zonealarm's logs, is even when I am idle, there is a lot of inbound traffic trying to hit my cpu. Zonealarm has done its due diligence and even advises this traffic is often just "background noise". But perhaps suspending my cable modem helps settle things down. Anyway, I wanted to offer this post as one more thing to try if stutters suddenly appear in the sim--either FS2002 or FS2004 for that matter. It's by no means the only reason they could happen, but perhaps it's one of the reasons and perhaps someone who hasn't been able to eliminate them can give it a try.-John

"Thanks John. I'll go home and pull that cable for a test."Before you do that, just check your cable modem. Mine has a "suspend" button that keeps the modem visible to the PC, but blocks out inbound and outbound web traffic. Most I shopped around for had this feature.-John

Guest Edam

The only problem with that is for those who use Real World Weather updates.

Guest JIMJAM

Having simular problems.BTY since Im here. Just did a complete windows xp reinstall along with fs9. Every now and then while flying, the screen will minumize and something is loading AOL and going on line.How can I determine what is automatically logging me on?

I installed a wireless router (hardware firewall) between my cable modem and PC. It completely eliminates all background internet activity and unwanted probes. I can still use on-line weather and the only time I notice internet caused stutters is when the weather is updating.I think you can buy a router for about $30 or $40. I bought a wireless router in case I wanted to install a wireless network at home.Works great for me.

Guest Edam

>I installed a wireless router (hardware firewall) between my>cable modem and PC. It completely eliminates all background>internet activity and unwanted probes. I can still use>on-line weather and the only time I notice internet caused>stutters is when the weather is updating.I have a router that is not hooked up at the moment. But if it eliminates all background internet activity, how is it that you can get weather updates?

"The only problem with that is for those who use Real World Weather updates."Yep, good point to raise.-John

It elimates all "unrequested" internet activity. When the weather program, I use Active Sky of FS Meteo, requests a weather update, the download comes right through.