Sign in to follow this  
Chicken Patty

Need Help Installing RC 4 To Work with P3D V4

"It" is Radar Contact.

I never put anything in my P3Dv4 folder. FSX sits on its own drive completely apart.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

11 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

"It" is Radar Contact.

I never put anything in my P3Dv4 folder. FSX sits on its own drive completely apart.

Ian,

There were two 'it's in your post. I'm asking about the second one. What did RC find in the P3D folder that satisfied it?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sorry Ray.

It is past bed time already!

What I meant was that I just installed RC4 on the same drive where P3Dv4 was and RC4 was happy once I had filled the location of the files it requests.(Flt/WX)

As far as I remember, there was nothing else needed.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Concur with Mr. Harrison,   RC4 will identify P3Dv4 through the FSUIPC5 module. 

1 hour ago, IanHarrison said:

Sorry Ray.

It is past bed time already!

What I meant was that I just installed RC4 on the same drive where P3Dv4 was and RC4 was happy once I had filled the location of the files it requests.(Flt/WX)

As far as I remember, there was nothing else needed.

Thanks Ian. I must confess that knowing what RC4 looks for is a mystery. Benzhanger, it doesn't know what P3D is. RC4 was released long before that product was released.

Anyway, hopefully all those who are installing RC4 will get it done after the help of others.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Benzhanger, it doesn't know what P3D is. RC4 was released long before that product was released.

Ray, I absolutely agree but RC4 works flawlessly without configuration.  At first it did not recognized P3D4 but once i installed the FSUIPC5 module (free version) everything was up and running. Same thing apply for PFE.

• Upvote 1

I just got home, so in a few I'll run through the install process and take some screen shots so you guys can see what's going on.  Thanks.

-David

Okay so I run the RC4 installer in administrative mode.

capture042.jpg

I choose the location to be the same drive as my P3D install, out of program files to avoid any issues:

capture043.jpg

This is where the issues beging.  I point it to my P3D install that has the "fake" FSX.EXE file, and it comes up again.  I point to it a second time, and then it continues with the install.

capture044.jpg

Then this pops up after it installs for a bit.  I choose the FSX.EXE inside my P3D install again.

capture045374.jpg

then this

capture046.jpg

finishes the install

capture047916.jpg

Then we I open RC4, this is what comes out...  Any ideas?

capture049.jpg

-David

OK that looks a bit of a mess.

Uninstall P3Dv4 and RC4 and FSUIPC.

Get rid of "fake" FSX

Reboot to sort out registry (if you have a Registry cleaner run it first).

Do what I did.

Disable UAC in Windows.

Install P3Dv4 to the DEFAULT directory C:\Program Files as administrator

Install RC4 as admin to C:\Program Files (X86)

Install FSUIPC.

Run P3Dv4 to let it configure itself

Run RC4 and point it to the Flight plan directories

Run Rebuild scenery DB in RC

Reboot once more for luck

If you have the same luck as I did, all will work.

(Just note that nearly all RC4 key presses are assigned to other commands in P3Dv4, you will need to re-map them in RC4.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

Addendum

All programs should be run permanently as Administrator.

Ian,

I agree with all that except installing to default locations. Those should be avoided like the plague. I would install to C:\P3Dv4 and C:\RC4.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Yes with FSX I agree. But P3Dv4 seems to be different. I could not install it in a C:\P3Dv4 it failed each time. With the default I got it to run right through and complete the install.

I disable UAC and run everything as admin and it works perfectly with no complaints from Windows!

But if you can, I agree with you put it in its own directory.

Hi Ian,

Ouch! If that's something in P3D v4 not allowing the user to pick the install path I'm not impressed. In my case I want it on my D drive, not C. If the program doesn't allow that there's going to be some naffed off people.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

I don't think it is P3D, it does give a choice, it was most likely my set up which I had just upgraded.

16 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Hi Ian,

Ouch! If that's something in P3D v4 not allowing the user to pick the install path I'm not impressed. In my case I want it on my D drive, not C. If the program doesn't allow that there's going to be some naffed off people.

Ray et al,

P3Dv4 does give you a chance to install in a different, user-appointed, path. Mine for example has been installed on D;\Prepar3dv4\. RC4 is, at my contraption, also installed on D Drive, i.e. D;\RC4

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)