Chicken Patty

Need Help Installing RC 4 To Work with P3D V4

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

Long time user of RC4, and I wouldn't want it any other way.  Problem is that when building the new PC, along with the new windows install, I no longer have FSX installed, just P3D V4.  Now while installing RC4 how do I get it to find the "FSX Installation" as it asks me for?  I saw someone suggest another member to create a copy of P3D.exe, and rename it FSX.exe.  I tried that, but it didn't help.  If anybody can just get me going in the right direction to get RC4 working in V4 that would be great.  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think what I did, was create two .reg files, adds and removes a fake registration which points FSX to Prepar3D V4 directory. 

You can achieve something similar with Estonia Migration Tool - but I've had some weird issues with it lately. Mainly registrations which doesn't get removed appropriately. 

Remember - in order to get RC4 to work, install the legacy SimConnects and FSUIPC for Prepar3D V4 (doesn't have to be registered).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

I think what I did, was create two .reg files, adds and removes a fake registration which points FSX to Prepar3D V4 directory. 

You can achieve something similar with Estonia Migration Tool - but I've had some weird issues with it lately. Mainly registrations which doesn't get removed appropriately. 

Remember - in order to get RC4 to work, install the legacy SimConnects and FSUIPC for Prepar3D V4 (doesn't have to be registered).

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by creating to .reg files.  If you don't mind elaborating a little further on that.  At this point I'm just trying to get it installed at least.  Then I'll worry about getting the legacy software needed for it to work properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chicken Patty said:

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by creating to .reg files.  If you don't mind elaborating a little further on that.  At this point I'm just trying to get it installed at least.  Then I'll worry about getting the legacy software needed for it to work properly.

For instance - this registration is for Prepar3D V3... 

One .reg to add the registration:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"License"="Professional"
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Content]
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Scenery]
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"


[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"License"="Professional"
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Content]
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Scenery]
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

And one to remove it again:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"License"="-"
"SetupPath"="-"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Content]
"SetupPath"="-"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Scenery]
"SetupPath"="-"


[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"License"="-"
"SetupPath"="-"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Content]
"SetupPath"="-"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Scenery]
"SetupPath"="-"

This would just be saved as an XXXX.reg file and executed. Please remember to correct this, so it has FSX registration details, and NOT Prepar3D :smile:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

For instance - this registration is for Prepar3D V3... 

One .reg to add the registration:


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"License"="Professional"
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Content]
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Scenery]
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"


[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"License"="Professional"
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Content]
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Scenery]
"SetupPath"="X:\\Prepar3D v4\\"

And one to remove it again:


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"License"="-"
"SetupPath"="-"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Content]
"SetupPath"="-"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Scenery]
"SetupPath"="-"


[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"License"="-"
"SetupPath"="-"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Content]
"SetupPath"="-"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 Scenery]
"SetupPath"="-"

This would just be saved as an XXXX.reg file and executed. Please remember to correct this, so it has FSX registration details, and NOT Prepar3D :smile:

Thanks for clarifying that.  I'll do some more research on it tomorrow to see if I can figure out to get it installed.  I'll post back.  Thanks for the tips so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gents,

I'm pretty sure RC4 does not read the registry. There's not a single reference to it in the manual. I've looked at my own install and I have a copy of FSX.EXE in my P3D (v3.4) folder. I think RC just looks for the presence of that file rather than executing it so you should be able to create a text file and rename it to fsx.exe to satisfy RC4.

David, you said you tried doing this but it didn't help. But what was the message displayed?

I have RC4 running on a separate PC via WideFS and it's fine. I do keep having to point it to my P3D folder. It seems to forget the path for some odd reason. The biggest problem is getting the csv files updated in the data sub-folder but Lorby's Addon Organiser program together with MakeRunways is very good for that.

You will also need to check you have the latest FSUIPC5 and MakeRunways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rays the expert on this program. I reinstalled it with P3DV4 recently and certainly didn't go through all of the detail and hassle above. It's just simple. Follow Rays guidance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rays the expert on this program. I reinstalled it with P3DV4 recently and certainly didn't go through all of the detail and hassle above. It's just simple. Follow Rays guidance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the install it just keeps asking for the FSX registry file...  I have tried pointing it to the P3D folder where I created the "FSX.exe" but that doesn't help.  It'll finish installing but when I double click the RC4 icon it doesn't open and instead i get some weird install to Navigraph charts 5 open up.... I haven't seen it before.  When I get back home today I'll run through the process again and post screenshots so you'll can see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chicken Patty said:

During the install it just keeps asking for the FSX registry file...  I have tried pointing it to the P3D folder where I created the "FSX.exe" but that doesn't help.  It'll finish installing but when I double click the RC4 icon it doesn't open and instead i get some weird install to Navigraph charts 5 open up.... I haven't seen it before.  When I get back home today I'll run through the process again and post screenshots so you'll can see.

The difference between us is I still had FSX installed when I installed P3D and then RC4. The simplest solution might just be to install FSX temporarily so you can copy the fsx.exe into P3D and RC4 will be happy as you will have an FSX option when installing.

There has to be manual workarounds for P3D as RC4 had no knowledge of that when it was released 10 years ago. Providing you have the latest version that works with FSX and it sounds as though you do then my suggestion above should get you sorted.

Once you've been running RC4 and P34D for a while then uninstall FSX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct me if I don't remember correctly, but installing RC4 for P3D V4 is extremely easy:
 

  1. Take a small .exe file from somewhere.
  2. Put it in the main P3D V4 directory
  3. rename it fsx.exe

That's should do the trick.Try it, if it doesn't work, then I have forgotten how I did it, but that's what I remember (and I don't have FSX installed).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

I never did that.

I just told RC where P3Dv4 was installed and it found it straight away.

 

Ian,

What's "it"? Do you have a FSX.exe in your p3D v4 folder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

I never did that.

I just told RC where P3Dv4 was installed and it found it straight away.

 

Me too. I had just deleted FSX from my system and reinstalled P3D4 on my old FSX SSD. I did get the MSCOMCTL.OCX error though, but just downloaded and registered it and all was fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now